Please discuss the class system with your fans

Users who are viewing this thread

That's an interesting take considering that's one of the key problems most people have; Bannerlord's system strips all individual quirks and personality away from players and turns everyone into clones. Bannerlord objectively guts the player's ability to form any ingame personality whatsoever, either through appearance, or unusual gameplay choices.

I'm not sure I understand this one?

Once again; it is Bannerlord that is utterly generic. You have access to specifically generic ""choices"" for which there is no variation. In Warband, you couldn't play a "berzerker" type character with half the factions properly. Some factions didn't have heavy cavalry, some factions had crossbows while others had archers. Some had axes, most didn't, etc. Now in Bannerlord, all of the factions have horse archers, and the remainder of the ""choices"" are bland and uninspired with no different way to approach the game, railroading you into generic and bland classes with no flavour or choice, and restricting the player's ability to choose classes they want to play.
What I said was all linked. In Warband if I chose Rhodoks in multiplayer I never felt like I was part of the Rhodoks faction. Now I choose sturgia and there are similarities behind all the troops: All infantry and archers except the final captain style of the infantry rank is light armoured and use axes. The Sturgia horseman feels lightweight too. This is what I mean when I say the faction has a certain personality, and it is this that makes me feel like my faction has an identity to connect with. Graphically speaking a faction’s characters share strong similarities too. To add to this I think Sturgia’s only throwables should be axes, no javellins.

What I said was all linked. In Warband if I chose Rhodoks in multiplayer I never felt like I was part of the Rhodoks faction. Now I choose sturgia and there are similarities behind all the troops: All infantry and archers except the final captain style of the infantry rank is light armoured and use axes. The Sturgia horseman feels lightweight too. This is what I mean when I say the faction has a certain personality, and it is this that makes me feel like my faction has an identity to connect with. Graphically speaking a faction’s characters share strong similarities too. To add to this I think Sturgia’s only throwables should be axes, no javellins.
I still don't understand what you're getting at. No two factions in Warband were alike, if that's what you're talking about? Nords were the only ones with throwing axes, had skirmisher cavalry(free javelins with no heavy lance), were the only faction with Polearm axes, their 1h axes were the best. Swadia had 2h swords, but only darts for their infantry, had Crossbows(for which they shared only with Rhodoks, who have a common cultural background in the lore), their cavalry were the only faction with greatlances. The only generic faction were Sarranids, who were a jack-of-all-trades faction, which by itself is a characteristic. Now in Bannerlord, all of the troops can get on a horse or pick up a bow and be as proficient as the class they looted it from. The equipment choices are gimmicks designed to give the impression of choice, but heavy infantry of all factions plays almost exactly the same now with no real quirks.

Graphically speaking a faction’s characters share strong similarities too.
Yes, but this doesn't have anything to do with the class system. You could give the factions a unique appearance without gutting all customization.

Last edited:
I still don't understand what you're getting at. No two factions in Warband were alike, if that's what you're talking about? Nords were the only ones with throwing axes, had skirmisher cavalry(free javelins with no heavy lance), were the only faction with Polearm axes, their 1h axes were the best. Swadia had 2h swords, but only darts for their infantry, had Crossbows(for which they shared only with Rhodoks, who have a common cultural background in the lore), their cavalry were the only faction with heavy lances. The only generic faction were Sarranids, who were a jack-of-all-trades faction, which by itself is a characteristic. Now in Bannerlord, all of the troops can get on a horse or pick up a bow and be as proficient as the class they looted it from. The equipment choices are gimmicks designed to give the impression of choice, but heavy infantry of all factions plays almost exactly the same now with no real quirks.

I didn’t say it was balanced. I’m pretty sure classes have perks. Sturgia warriors for example seem to move pretty fast. Faster than most infantry. It goes well with their berserker personality.
Horse archers should be limited to Khuzait and probably Aserai. With the class system, it’s more possible to make it so that archers from other factions have penaltes to their usage of bows whilst on horses.

With the class system, it’s more possible to make it so that archers from other factions have penalties to their usage of bows whilst on horses.
No, it's no more or less possible. With Warband's classes, each class had some stats that determined what they could/couldn't do (e.g Warhorse required 4 riding skill, and anyone without 4 riding skill couldn't get on it). Presumably it would be easy to put something like this in place in Bannerlord. So it's not easier or harder. Only that right now it's totally missing.

No, it's no more or less possible. With Warband's classes, each class had some stats that determined what they could/couldn't do (e.g Warhorse required 4 riding skill, and anyone without 4 riding skill couldn't get on it). Presumably it would be easy to put something like this in place in Bannerlord. So it's not easier or harder. Only that right now it's totally missing.

It’s unrealistic for them not to be able to ride a horse at all. You can impose penalties in different ways. Infantry classes can have lower speed or less manoeuvrability whilst on horses, for example.

It’s unrealistic for them not to be able to ride a horse at all.
What? With a basic understanding, anyone can ride a slow and stupid horse. But in Bannerlord anyone can get on any horse and ride like a Mongol. Not only is that poor game design, but if you're arguing based on realism: it's compeltely ridiculous. Most people in the middle ages couldn't ride a horse competantly, unless their job demanded it.

You can impose penalties in different ways. Infantry classes can have lower speed or less manoeuvrability whilst on horses, for example.
Once again, this doesn't really have anything to do with the class system, and I don't disagree.

For the class system to be at least as fun as Warband's they need to fill it with a corresponding number of actually interesting classes. I wish them best of luck as it's arguably a lot more work than Warband's equipment selection.

It brings personality. Makes me feel like part of the faction and adds purpose to multiplayer battles. If I want to be a berserker I go sturgia. If I want to be an archer I go Khuzait. If I want to be cavalry or xbowman I go vlandia etc. Warband in comparison felt generic.
Probably the most hilarious thing I've read in the whole forum.

Yeah is this dude best guy kidding me? I played Warband for years, check my profile here I've had it since 2011 I played every MnB there was. This class system is NOT good it is way way off.

I still don't understand what you're getting at. No two factions in Warband were alike, if that's what you're talking about? Nords were the only ones with throwing axes, had skirmisher cavalry(free javelins with no heavy lance), were the only faction with Polearm axes, their 1h axes were the best. Swadia had 2h swords, but only darts for their infantry, had Crossbows(for which they shared only with Rhodoks, who have a common cultural background in the lore), their cavalry were the only faction with greatlances. The only generic faction were Sarranids, who were a jack-of-all-trades faction, which by itself is a characteristic. Now in Bannerlord, all of the troops can get on a horse or pick up a bow and be as proficient as the class they looted it from. The equipment choices are gimmicks designed to give the impression of choice, but heavy infantry of all factions plays almost exactly the same now with no real quirks.

Yes, but this doesn't have anything to do with the class system. You could give the factions a unique appearance without gutting all customization.

What he's getting at is that he wants to roleplay.

Inappropriate language
I would -respectfully disagree with the developers- for the class system alone. Im holding a grudge for butchering Multiplayer
p0mkb7oaf6n01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
MP is going to die because of the boring class system and idiotic matchmaking, I hate to say this but... Im going back to mordhau and wait for mods to fix this mess of a game

For the class system to be at least as fun as Warband's they need to fill it with a corresponding number of actually interesting classes. I wish them best of luck as it's arguably a lot more work than Warband's equipment selection.
Yeah at the moment most of the choices aren't even appealing to my playstyle, nor are they appealing in a meta sense. A lot of builds are just straight up wonky and don't bring much to the table. I don't play Custom Battle in warband because all the characters are already pre-made, that's why I play Single Player so I can design my own tailored character. In warband multiplayer the experience is the same, you get to choose your own upgrades, your own weapons, your own arrows. And what priority they should be upgraded in. Bannerlord is like custom battle (without the battle).

Back
Top Bottom