Player-related sound

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm a long-time lover of M&B, but one thing has always annoyed me - player-related sounds (good example is the player's horse galloping) in battles don't originate from the center of the player's character or from the original point they would logically emanate from (such as the horse's hooves), but rather from a certain point that seems to be the back-left-most point of the player's avatar - as in, if the player's character was imagined as a rectangle or cube, the point (0,0,0) is the origin of the sounds.

I've probably explained that REALLY badly, but hopefully someone will understand my meaning.

If you haven't noticed it before, try it - go into a battle, start your horse galloping at full speed, then move the camera 360 degrees around your character slowly (it'll be easiest to notice with headphones on) and the direction the sound comes from will change, relative to where the camera's facing, even though the logical original point of the sound stays more or less constant (horse stays in the middle of the frame).

Everything else about the game, I love, but this grabs my attention fairly frequently. So I guess my question is: are there any plans to fix/change it, does the engine even allow it to be fixed, and could it perhaps maybe be implemented into the upcoming expansion? (also on that maybe we could get new running animations in the expansion - every other animation is great, but running always looks silly to me... they stand a bit too straight and they kick their legs up far too high behind them... but that's just my 0.02)

Now... this isn't exactly a 'technical issue' as such, it's really more of a game-design thing - I promise you it has nothing to do with my hardware whatsoever, I have tried it on several utterly different computers, with hardware from all different companies and of different capability and such. But I thought this would be the most relevant section to get a response.

Thankies. :smile:

This has been bothering me for the last 4 yeras ive played the game. Ive not been able to find a peep on it, apprently we're the only two who suffer from it. But ive tested it on 3 different PCs and the problem exists on all of them.

Ekardt said:
This has been bothering me for the last 4 yeras ive played the game. Ive not been able to find a peep on it, apprently we're the only two who suffer from it. But ive tested it on 3 different PCs and the problem exists on all of them.

Finally, someone found this thread...

Yeah, it's definitely not a 'standard' technical issue - it's built-in to the game, it's very much a part of the engine, and I've got no idea how so few have ever noticed it. It has nothing to do with hardware setup, mods, modules, anything like that... for the benefit of anyone with some idea of the intricacies of M&B and its development who will actually read this thread (god forbid), it is NOTHING to do with options, hardware, setup, or ANYTHING like that. This is, for all intents and purposes, a BUG in the game, that is easily reproducible by simply going into a battle.

So - can we ever expect a fix?

Ive been aching for one. Its terribly annoying, even moreso when ive got a 5.1 surround sound setup. im constantly hearing myself galloping behind me, or to my left or right. Whats interesting is that this problem only applies to the player; all other 3d audio is perfectly fine and comes from the direction it rightfully should. Im frankly surprised its flown under the radar so long, surely others have noticed it, and I know for a fact that there are tons of technology junkies that frequent the forums. Youd think the kind of people that try to get the best possible visual experience would pay at least a little attention to their audio experience as well.

It should also be noted this applies to being onfoot as well. Ive made some observations though, while footsteps and armor clinking comes from random directions, the jumping sound effects, weapon swings, and player grunts all come from the correct directions (or at least from what I could tell)

I find it hard to beleive that no one else has noticed this, particularly the lot of people that created sound mods because they didnt like the games original audio. Bump.

I too suffer from this. Since I have to use headphones, it's really annoying having a deafening gallop in my left or right ear.

I'm using Windows 7 with some integrated sigmatel sound card, if it matters.

I haven't really noticed this but I use a 5.1 surround sound system with integrated Realtek soundcard and all the sounds seem to come from a 'natural' position.

Did you folks all set Windows AND your drivers to the proper sound system?

ViciousRaptor said:
I haven't really noticed this but I use a 5.1 surround sound system with integrated Realtek soundcard and all the sounds seem to come from a 'natural' position.

Did you folks all set Windows AND your drivers to the proper sound system?

It really, really is the game's fault, not ours, or hardware, or drivers. NO other game I have played experiences this fault.

Use headphones (note: using headphones is just to make it easiest to hear, it will still happen with other sound delivery methods as stated in a post earlier in the thread), and get into a battle just by yourself, then pay close attention while spinning the camera around while galloping - if you can still tell me that your own sound is perfectly placed, then this issue gets even more bewildering.

I haven't got any headphones, actually. I'll see if I can notice wrong sound position with my speakerset.

Back
Top Bottom