SP - General Player Homestead/Hideout

Users who are viewing this thread

Berzerker Jay

I think an interesting addition to the late-game (though open to earlier play with some challenge) would be to allow players to build their own Homestead or Hideout on the campaign map, sort of like we had in Viking Conquest for Warband.

I picture it starting essentially as a small cabin, or something to that effect, and then the player can gather the necessary resources to build it up into something more. Building would take substantially longer than in castles and towns, due to the availability of a workforce -- (perhaps the player can add Prisoners to this workforce, like some of the village headmen use conscripts) -- and players should provide materials for all projects. A very small garrison could be set to protect the initial cabin, with the garrison capacity growing with the building of barracks and such.

It would be really cool if developing a homestead could be a generational thing, with eventually maybe even a small keep and a luxurious manor with stables, some small walls surrounding it all....

Which brings me to the malicious side of my suggestion. These would be high-priority targets for the local banditry, and the player is going to be hard-pressed to defend it in the early-game. Maybe some projects could leave something behind to start rebuilding, but otherwise I'd like to see raids often end up with the Homestead or Hideout being wiped. Maybe the AI could have similar options to raiding settlements, to pillage or destroy and all that, and noble raiders might be less likely to burn it to the ground.

It would be great if some quests could be attached to these, offering opportunities for development, or maybe organizing a feast and inviting various nobles in order to gain reputation and influence, with perhaps the quality of the Homestead as well as the spread of food and drink factoring in on how much reputation and influence is gained to reflect how impressed guests may be.

To make it a Hideout, instead, maybe it could come down to the player building certain projects that allow for the fencing of stolen goods from area bandits. Of course, attracting bandits should carry the risk that the bandits realize they can overwhelm the Hideout's defenses and take what they want, so the player will have to be extra careful with defenses.

Back
Top Bottom