SP - General Player clan marriages, barter for peace diplomacy

Users who are viewing this thread

How come the clan member are married off to outside clans when the player is not yet a lord or a king (no kingdom) but the moment they're in a kingdom its the opposite? Npc clan members are married off to the players clan? This makes the marriage mechanic still somewhat unbalanced mid to late game, because if done often enough could cause player clan bloat.

My suggestion is: Make marriages more barter intense. For example, if dowry is demanded, the clan receiving the money parts with their member, if its the opposite and the clan is paying, they receive a clan member during marriage. Marriages should also become more important, for example it should become as a option to barter peace/non-aggression treaty/alliance.

On the same side, diplomacy is slightly different as well when player becomes a lord, for example when not having a kingdom yet, its possible to barter/bribe for peace with the kingdom leader, however once the player is a vassal or a king, it seems peace proposition is only possible through kingdom tab and the kingdom ruler says only the council decides such matters (Rhagaea says that but then never listens to its decisions lol) . This is a minor inconsistency.

How come the clan member are married off to outside clans when the player is not yet a lord or a king (no kingdom) but the moment they're in a kingdom its the opposite? Npc clan members are married off to the players clan? This makes the marriage mechanic still somewhat unbalanced mid to late game, because if done often enough could cause player clan bloat.

My suggestion is: Make marriages more barter intense. For example, if dowry is demanded, the clan receiving the money parts with their member, if its the opposite and the clan is paying, they receive a clan member during marriage. Marriages should also become more important, for example it should become as a option to barter peace/non-aggression treaty/alliance.

On the same side, diplomacy is slightly different as well when player becomes a lord, for example when not having a kingdom yet, its possible to barter/bribe for peace with the kingdom leader, however once the player is a vassal or a king, it seems peace proposition is only possible through kingdom tab and the kingdom ruler says only the council decides such matters (Rhagaea says that but then never listens to its decisions lol) . This is a minor inconsistency.
You know only females left your clan and joins the husband's clan.
Male clan members always brings their wife to your clan, but don't married them to female clan leaders.

You know only females left your clan and joins the husband's clan.
Male clan members always brings their wife to your clan, but don't married them to female clan leaders.
Not entirely true/the full picture.
Clan-leaders allways stay in their clan and don't marry other clanleaders.
Vassal(partyleading clanmember) females stay in their clan if they marry non-vassals(Vassals marrying vassals go to the male side)
Nobles(Non partyleading clanmembers) marrying other Nobles goes to the male side.

To make your sister for example stay in your clan, marry her with a Noble male while she is leading a party and she stays, bringing him in.
To not loose your brothers, look up the target carefully in the Encyclepedia before. I have lost my brothers several times due to the target beeing vassal or even clan-leader.

As is, you only pay to marry yourself. Marrying your clanmembers does not cost anything and if you know the rules, you will know where the couple ends up.

A barter dialogue to decide in which clan the couple should land would be very fun indeed! A member-thin AI clan could very well trade a castle for a skilled spouse - especially if the couple could othervice default to land in player clan.

EDIT: I´m a lier. In best case a dreamer. I´m so sure I have done this but in 1.6.2 and 1.6.3 I can't reproduce and I have unfortunatly deleted all older saves. I'm sure I have had little sister in my clan, married, unmodded(I´m always unmodded, so this I know). But.. Strange this.. I'll look around...

Last edited:
Not entirely true/the full picture.
Clan-leaders allways stay in their clan and don't marry other clanleaders.
Vassal(partyleading clanmember) females stay in their clan if they marry non-vassals(Vassals marrying vassals go to the male side)
Nobles(Non partyleading clanmembers) marrying other Nobles goes to the male side.

To make your sister for example stay in your clan, marry her with a Noble male while she is leading a party and she stays, bringing him in.
To not loose your brothers, look up the target carefully in the Encyclepedia before. I have lost my brothers several times due to the target beeing vassal or even clan-leader.

As is, you only pay to marry yourself. Marrying your clanmembers does not cost anything and if you know the rules, you will know where the couple ends up.

A barter dialogue to decide in which clan the couple should land would be very fun indeed! A member-thin AI clan could very well trade a castle for a skilled spouse - especially if the couple could othervice default to land in player clan.
I tested it myself and this is not true.
Female clan members who marry always join the husband's clan.

Last edited:
I tested it myself and this is not true.
Female clan members who marry always join the husband's clan.
I disagree, because this thread exists precisely because of the fact that I tried marrying off both females and males in my kingdom as an experiment and none left.

Maybe you haven't reproduced the conditions. Try being kingdom ruler, and having the player sister married when in a separate party, that's how I found this.
I have her made a party leader and create a faction and she has left me after marriage.
I have tested it with a clan of my tier.

Or must she become a party leader after I create a kingdom.
Or must she currently not in the player's army, then I have her had in my army.
Or must the other clan be a vassal of the player.

Last edited:
Just gotta chime in here:
Clan leaders DO NOT leave the clan when they marry, which means 2 clan leaders CANNOT marry each other, this is why you can't marry raggy, but your brother can and why when he does so he leaves your clan.
Currently female NON-clan leaders always join husbands clan.
Currently male members ONLY leave if they marry a clan leader and otherwise always stay and bring in thier wife to the clan.

K, now we see how it works. I do agree there needs to be revisions but I think it would be good for the player to be able to choose ultimately whether they give or receive clan member since this is the only way it can be useful. It's very likely that in some games you may have a vassal clan that ends up with only female members and a 45+ (infertile) matriarch, as it is you are powerless to give them a MAN to their younger female members to help them continue into the next generation. I like the idea of increased dowry to take in a member versus giving one away, but ultimately it needs to let the player manage the coupling of NPCs more directly to ensure health generation in the long game.

Back
Top Bottom