Plasquar's Let's Play with Dark Age Graphic Modpack and VC Balance Mod 8.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Tingyun

Knight at Arms
Plasquar has just started a Let's Play of Viking Conquest, using two mods, Dark Age Graphic Modpack for graphics and VC Balance Mod 8.0 for gameplay.

First episode:
(Link to the playlist)

If you'd like to check out the included mods, here are the links:

Ha3481's Dark Age Graphic Modpack: https://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/mods/6074

VC Balance Mod 8.0: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandbladevikingconquest/mods/5
                                https://www.moddb.com/mods/vc-balance-mod

If you'd like to combine both mods, here are some compatibility install instructions:

1) Install VC Balance Mod
2) Install ha3481's Dark Age Graphic Modpack from his nexus page (his compatibility version called "Graphic Modpack for VC" available at his Nexus page under "optional files")
3) Install the compatibility file from Balance Mod's nexus page ("Compatibility file" available at VC Balance Mod Nexus page under "miscellaneous files")

Hi all, i saw lets Play link on steam and it is great!
Question about the balance mod: can you play it with Warband 1.172? Steam wants to update it to 1.173 but I am still using 1.172 because some mods need it.

Again a new LP, awesome as Plasquar's other series, you and ArcadeKnight renew my interest in Warband and mods how was in 27 april when I begin playing game

SwadianArmy said:
Hi all, i saw lets Play link on steam and it is great!
Question about the balance mod: can you play it with Warband 1.172? Steam wants to update it to 1.173 but I am still using 1.172 because some mods need it.

I think it should work fine.

If for some reason it doesn't want to start, I would open the Module.ini in the Viking Conquest directory, and change the 1173 to 1172 (one of the top lines in the file), and see if that allows it to start.

Let me know if you run into any problems!

Wow. I must grab both mods for having a better experience than native VC, because I don't like games in native version

Plasquar said:
And I can tell you: It looks amazing ingame. Sometimes I find myself staring at the sinister moon for minutes.
Loving the play thru so far Plasquar.

If you're open to a few tips:

Use the 'shieldwall' in battle as much as possible. 1 (infantry) > F4 > F5. Even tier 2 units like the Norse Freeholders you have in your army are effective in a shieldwall. You may lose less warriors in fights.

I wouldn't bother recruiting farmers and townsmen as they're pretty weak, just stick to faction troops, the ones you get from castles / towns. Also recruiting mercenaries is expensive, in my opinion not worth the peningas early game.

Trade early game is important; buy wine, jewels and salt in Friese then head over to Dunwic and sell for good profit. As long as you're army is 20 men or so it shouldn't cost much to transport them across the sea (maybe 700 peningas) which you'll easily get back in profit.

Looking forward to seeing where you're adventures take you ☺

Agreed to almost all your points Dirty Norseman, but I think I saw Svear Warriors hanging out in the mead hall at the end of the Plasquar’s last episode. Those, I’d hire if I had the chance early game.

I'm not that much of a trader.  :roll:
Killing bandits gives some money as well but as soon as money gets scarce, I'll make sure to give trading a try.

Tingyun said:
Agreed to almost all your points Dirty Norseman, but I think I saw Svear Warriors hanging out in the mead hall at the end of the Plasquar’s last episode. Those, I’d hire if I had the chance early game.

Yes there were some of those guys but I need 150 renown to be able to recruit those guys.

Plasquar, are many great mods to playing, maybe you consider some historical mod in future such as Sands of Faith or 1429 when comes Khsmmukakku's submod, or GOT-themed?

Tingyun said:
Snobs. :wink:
CONGRATULATIONS on your great victory in Doccinga! Exciting stuff!  :party:

Thanks! Currently I almost have the required renown but oh my... those guys in the mead halls are quite expensive.
Maybe I should give trading a try soon.

Arnulf Floyd said:
Plasquar, are many great mods to playing, maybe you consider some historical mod in future such as Sands of Faith or 1429 when comes Khsmmukakku's submod, or GOT-themed?

Maybe. VC, Nova Aetas and TLD keep me busy at the moment. Since the 1429 submod may take some more time to get released, AWoIaF is probably my next mod.

Plasquar, I wish to says as AWOIAF is siimilar to VC, you're playing VC, sure as Nova Aetas is by far my favourite mod, some battle songs are from Medieval Total War soundtrack by Jeff van Dyck, one is by Vangelis and other songs I not know their composers, main menu theme give me chills in spine

Tingyun said:
I think it should work fine.

If for some reason it doesn't want to start, I would open the Module.ini in the Viking Conquest directory, and change the 1173 to 1172 (one of the top lines in the file), and see if that allows it to start.

Let me know if you run into any problems!

Started it without changing anything and works good thank you!!

Tingyun said:
I think I saw Svear Warriors hanging out in the mead hall at the end of the Plasquar’s last episode. Those, I’d hire if I had the chance early game.
Fair point. I guess I'm just too cheap to pay their outrageous weekly upkeep :grin:

It's just my play style...I like to build my army as I build my wealth. I noticed also in one of the episodes the Finn archers cost 88 peningas a week, which is considerably more than vanilla (around 25 a week depending on leadership). Have you increased weekly upkeep of mercs across the board?

Dirty Norseman said:
I noticed also in one of the episodes the Finn archers cost 88 peningas a week, which is considerably more than vanilla (around 25 a week depending on leadership). Have you increased weekly upkeep of mercs across the board?

Both actually--Finn archers got made significantly more expensive to match their power increase from the archer changes, and mercs in general got more expensive.

From the 5.0 changelog:

- Finn archers get powerdraw +4, +25 bow proficincy above 40 already granted, only use featured longbows. level raised to 24 (archers getting more powerful), puts them over cut off point of lvl 23 making wages more expensive.

- Mercenaries now cost 2x wages normal value, instead of 1.2x, in upkeep. Should encourage their more time limited and targeted use.

The latter is part of an effort to create strategic tradeoffs for using mercs--increased upkeep but not increased hiring cost, intended to make mercs ideal to hire when currently in heavy fighting or raiding but very costly to keep long-term compared to regular soldiers, and make it a viable choice to potentially engage in a cycle of hire-fire-rehire as needed (especially with the high level ones like Frankish Cavalry, that have an especially high ratio of wages to hire cost). Also, for their power, mercs are often cheaper or similar cost to hire than a regular soldier is to upgrade up to a comparable unit, so we need to balance that instant cheap army aspect with long-term costs.

Tingyun said:
The latter is part of an effort to create strategic tradeoffs for using mercs--increased upkeep but not increased hiring cost, intended to make mercs ideal to hire when currently in heavy fighting or raiding but very costly to keep long-term compared to regular soldiers, and make it a viable choice to potentially engage in a cycle of hire-fire-rehire as needed (especially with the high level ones like Frankish Cavalry, that have an especially high ratio of wages to hire cost). Also, for their power, mercs are often cheaper or similar cost to hire than a regular soldier is to upgrade up to a comparable unit, so we need to balance that instant cheap army aspect with long-term costs.
Bloody good idea mate, as mercs should be used.

The more I learn about your mod the more I want to do a let's play. Maybe when I get the time I'll do a sandbox play thru on realistic save setting. Ambitious I know but reckon I'm up for the challenge.

Back
Top Bottom