Pirate_Battle_1 [SERVER REOPENED!!!]

Should the server be returned to its original settings?

• Yes!

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • No!

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I don't care, either way is fine

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I must say that there is a lot discussion about this issue. In my experience on the server the're both many in favour of the all pirate thing and many who are against it. With some generalisation I can say that the older players (not in age, but in time spent on M&B) want the old server back and the newest players want to keep the all pirates. Those two groups are about the same size, so if nothing happens we would lose a great part of our players. That is why I alternate bewteen pirates and musket from time to time (once in a week or so), so that everyone can enjoy the server.

I know that players can vote to change te nations, but votes rarely work out...
So the best possible options would seem something in between. Like Artaxias said, some maps with only pirates and others with the usuall classes. Or some days in the week all pirates and the other days muskets... I understand that it must be hard to encrypt those things, but I'm just thinking out loud here.

And about the poll, I said to many people on the server to go voting (in favour or against) cause we need their opinions. But so far only 12 people voted yet... I know this may sound a bit harsh, but I think that people only vote if they care about the server. And as it looks now, the most players who voted want to change it back.
Can we conclude by this that the payers who like the all pirate thing don't care about the server? Probably not, but they don't take the effort to go voting... Then I wonder which players we want to have on the server. Just something to think about.

Anyways, I know Penn and Eagle are thinking a lot about this issue. So I'll just keep convincing people to vote so that we can know the opinion of the majority of our players.

Hakunamatata

Artaxias said:
I would like to say further of the pirate vs. naval discussion that some maps were not designed with the new type of action in mind.

I would recommend that maps that are smaller use the code that only enables sailors (perhaps occasionally allow muskets) and larger ones allow people the choice to pick a class with muskets. I can design more maps with pirate-only action in mind, but right now there are several maps that just aren't as well suited to it (mostly the large ones).

I understand, we'd love to have the maps anyways because they definitely will be used either way and may even sway the discussion to one side or the other.

Hakunamatata said:
I must say that there is a lot discussion about this issue. In my experience on the server the're both many in favour of the all pirate thing and many who are against it. With some generalisation I can say that the older players (not in age, but in time spent on M&B) want the old server back and the newest players want to keep the all pirates. Those two groups are about the same size, so if nothing happens we would lose a great part of our players. That is why I alternate bewteen pirates and musket from time to time (once in a week or so), so that everyone can enjoy the server.

I know that players can vote to change te nations, but votes rarely work out...
So the best possible options would seem something in between. Like Artaxias said, some maps with only pirates and others with the usuall classes. Or some days in the week all pirates and the other days muskets... I understand that it must be hard to encrypt those things, but I'm just thinking out loud here.

And about the poll, I said to many people on the server to go voting (in favour or against) cause we need their opinions. But so far only 12 people voted yet... I know this may sound a bit harsh, but I think that people only vote if they care about the server. And as it looks now, the most players who voted want to change it back.
Can we conclude by this that the payers who like the all pirate thing don't care about the server? Probably not, but they don't take the effort to go voting... Then I wonder which players we want to have on the server. Just something to think about.

Anyways, I know Penn and Eagle are thinking a lot about this issue. So I'll just keep convincing people to vote so that we can know the opinion of the majority of our players.

Hakunamatata

Wow, there was a lot of great insight in there! The vote definitely is indicative of the views of the players who cared enough to come and vote. Thank you so much for pushing more of them to do so. I agree with your ideas about switching from one to the other, but I think it may be beyond the encoding capabilities of the server.

If we can't pick one or the other, it will have to be a matter of voting to change nations, which shouldn't be that hard if people really want to play with all classes (they could just keep the map the same if they really like it).

Based on the drop in number on the server however, I am one of those pushing for a return to the old pirate battle with all inclusive classes. Still love the update, but you gotta give the people what they want! I think if we hit 20 people, its enough to assume a wide enough sample size, extrapolate that data, and call the poll conclusive.

Gunni said:
Why no server?

We are amidst discussions about transferring the server to another host and thus it has been taken down temporarily. I will keep you posted!

WhiteEagle said:
Wow, there was a lot of great insight in there! The vote definitely is indicative of the views of the players who cared enough to come and vote. Thank you so much for pushing more of them to do so. I agree with your ideas about switching from one to the other, but I think it may be beyond the encoding capabilities of the server.

If we can't pick one or the other, it will have to be a matter of voting to change nations, which shouldn't be that hard if people really want to play with all classes (they could just keep the map the same if they really like it).

Based on the drop in number on the server however, I am one of those pushing for a return to the old pirate battle with all inclusive classes. Still love the update, but you gotta give the people what they want! I think if we hit 20 people, its enough to assume a wide enough sample size, extrapolate that data, and call the poll conclusive.

Yeah I guessed the encoding of the server might be difficult. But isn't it possible to change it so that the maps doesn't always start with France and UK? Cause I think that might be frustrating for the players who don't like the all pirates. Now you have to get enough votes to change it to all classes and never if you want pirates, the next map will be automaticly with all pirates... If the map starts with France and UK, but you know that the next map will be with Austria, Russia or Prussia, it might convince players to stay and play those 3 rounds as a pirate...

So basicly the server itself favours the nations of France and UK (quite logic cause it is a pirate server, but we lost many players with that). So if the server would be freed form that favourism it might work for all players (not sure about that, but it be worth a try i think) and the server would be full of players every night again...

Yoho and a bottle of rum
Hakunamata

Country or Residence or Timezone:Uk GMT
Time available (convert to EST time):12-4 EST
Steam Name:[120th]Twin
Steam Profile Link:
In-Game Name:FLIP
Are you willing to dedicate 1-2 hours per day MINIMUM to being an admin (yes or no)?:Yes
Admin experience (if any):im currntly applying for Killbox and tropical paradise
Why do you want to be an admin for the servers?i want to be admin as when im on pirte battle_1 thir is hardly any admin and trolls are their and annoy me a lot

As you guys can see by the voting poll, you should put the server back to normal.

Alright guys, so everything's been finalized and confirmed.

I regret to inform you all that, after several years serving the Napoleonic Wars community, Pirate_Battle_1 will be shutting down due to a lack of continued funding and stable interest until further notice. :cry: It's been so long since I first named the server and brought out a single map (it was the one on open water with three old viking ships facing each other and wreckage in between, the cannons galore one, all of the old timers will remember).

We watched the server grow from that into one of the most popular servers in the entire game, consistently being full at 200 pirates all killing each other on some of our largest maps. The Bloody Sunday event saw these same huge number crammed onto tiny little maps...now that was bloody. But now its time to say goodbye. Cheesy, I know...

I know some of you may be shocked :shock: but allow me to continue.

It's been an amazing run with all of you! I'd like to thank Penn for his immense contribution to funding and running the server during the second half of its operation. Special thanks also goes to Artaxias, our awesome but slow mapmaker and Hakunamatata, undoubtedly the most active of the last generation, so to speak, of admins. Thanks to all of the other admins who put up with my constant checking up on them and forcing them to read admin manuals. :wink: And of course, thanks to players who made the server come alive for who knows how many hours.

With that being said, I also have to include the following (might as well end on a positive note). Should future interest arrive in the revival of Pirate_Battle_1, potential "investors" should know that I have all of our classic maps backed up on my computers and also have access to 90% of the newer generation maps. Our two forums, Steam groups, website, YouTube page, and all other related server infrastructure will remain up but not active. Should the need arise, these are available and will continue to be available indefinitely. Essentially, we will be open to partnering with other server hosts to contribute these maps and infrastructure should they want to take over Pirate_Battle_1.

It's the end boys, my last official sign-off below: :cry:

Thanks,
Eagle

Whenever someone says in their first sentence 'we have some news to deliver soon' it's pretty much a dead giveaway that the news won't be good.  Now please, for the love of god, someone take up the server!

Well I guess all good things must come to an end... Sad but true.
So thanks to Penn and Eagle for hosting the server for so long!

Futhermore I have great interest in a new pirate server... Too bad I know nothing from hosting myself.
But if someone else does, I'm always available for support in many ways.
So don't hesitate to contact me if you have some plan. I'll be "Hakunamatata" on steam for many years, so that be easy.

Let's end this message with a big AAARRGH and two of the most important words in life:

HAKUNA MATATA

Thanks to a partnership with a new server co-owner, we have been able to restart Pirate_Battle_1 under original settings and all the classic maps, along with many of the new ones.

Same name, same everything. So hop on and enjoy!

Eagle

Have people been playing on it? I've checked a few times and it was empty :/. This server is/was the only reason I play Napoleonic Wars, haha.

Country or Residence or Timezone: England GMT
Time available (convert to EST time): 11am - 6pm weekdays and all day on weekends
Steam Name: Murph
Steam Profile Link:
In-Game Name: 2nd_KGL_UtGrd_Murph
Are you willing to dedicate 1-2 hours per day MINIMUM to being an admin (yes or no)? Yes
Admin experience (if any): I admin on the 59th Jailbreak server
Why do you want to be an admin for the servers? The pirate battle server is one of my personal favorite servers and I enjoy and love being apart of its community and really look forward to maybe being an admin for the server.

McLovin's Pirate_Battle_1 Admin Application

Country or Residence or Timezone:England and GMT

Time available (convert to EST time):
On weekdays (11am - 5pm)
On weekends (6am - 6pm)

Steam name:McLovin

Steam Profile Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198110556313/

In-Game Name:McLovin

Are you willing to dedicate 1-2 hours per day MINIMUM to being an admin (yes or no)?Yes, even more.

Admin experience (if any):Yes, I was head admin on TownRP.

Why do you want to be an admin for the servers?I love this server a lot and I have played on it before. I have been playing on it lately and noticed that sometimes there aren't admins on the server a lot. I'd like to be on the server, and I'd dedicate a lot of time to it.

Country or Residence or Timezone: Finland
Time available (convert to EST time): On weekdays: 8am-12pm. On weekends: 7am-1am.
Steam Name: 27th | StaffaN | 15th_YR
Steam Profile Link: http://steamcommunity.com/id/finstaffan/
In-Game Name: StaffaN, 27th_Ens_StaffaN, 15th_YR_Pte_StaffaN, El_StaffaNo.
Are you willing to dedicate 1-2 hours per day MINIMUM to being an admin (yes or no)?: Yes, I think minum 3 hours.
Admin experience (if any): Groupfighting_EU, Suisse_Duel, Owner of EU_Groupfighting, 57th_Offical and I was admin on Saints server.
Why do you want to be an admin for the servers?: Because I see so many people are breaking rules. I wan't keep server out of trollers etc. It is not fun to play with them. I am trying to populate server too. It is my first server where I was when I downloaded NW. +1000 for maps!
You guys did so good work.

-Regards StaffaN

Big fan of the server, cheers for hosting this despite all the years it's been since it first popped up. I remember this being one of the first servers I played on when I got my hands on NW.

Shoutout to the wonderful admin team as well, a very mature and relaxed bunch from what I've seen. Filtering out the outright baddies whilst tolerating the casual messing about that makes this game so fun.

Many thanks!

Country or Residence or Timezone: Pacific time
Time available (convert to EST time): 10AM – 9 PM
Steam Name: seacaptian6
Steam Profile Link:http://steamcommunity.com/id/seacaptain6
In-Game Name: sea
Are you willing to dedicate 1-2 hours per day MINIMUM to being an admin (yes or no)? yes
Admin experience (if any): no
Why do you want to be an admin for the servers?

I thoroughly enjoy playing on the Pirate Battle server.  I spend a fair amount of time on the server, and when there are people misusing it I’m frustrated because I would like to keep the game fun, safe and fair for everyone.  I would make a great admin.

Back
Top Bottom