MP Musket Era Pike & Shotte (RELEASED)

Users who are viewing this thread

Dazzer said:
Scots Halberdier
2vfhHYn.png

Looks great. I like the steel sheen. Scots kit wasn't the most up-to-date so I've no problem with its style. In fact, lots of equipment in English trained band's armouries was out of date at the start of the Civil War.

NPC99 said:
Dazzer said:
Scots Halberdier
2vfhHYn.png

Looks great. I like the steel sheen. Scots kit wasn't the most up-to-date so I've no problem with its style. In fact, lots of equipment in English trained band's armouries was out of date at the start of the Civil War.
I took inspiration from this picture sent to me by Blackwatch.
56ca59c58dcd8fc085bcfd9aae92c55d--th-century-civil-wars.jpg
Narf's armour was the closest I could find, and it looks pretty similar to the picture

Dazzer said:
NPC99 said:
Dazzer said:
Scots Halberdier
2vfhHYn.png

I took inspiration from this picture sent to me by Blackwatch.
56ca59c58dcd8fc085bcfd9aae92c55d--th-century-civil-wars.jpg
Narf's armour was the closest I could find, and it looks pretty similar to the picture

Good reference picture. It's a pity Narf's tassets are hung cavalry style. I'd also check your model's cuffs. They look a little wide to be compatible with gloves.

That Spangen construction for the kettle hat is really really really really really old for that period. Its like WW2 soldiers fighting with Conquistador combed morion helmets old.

Slytacular said:
That Spangen construction for the kettle hat is really really really really really old for that period. Its like WW2 soldiers fighting with Conquistador combed morion helmets old.
If you look closely, it pretty much resembles the design of the helmet in reference picture

Yeah, but the difference is that the Kettle you are using indicates a spangen construction which fell out of popularity by the end of the 13th century in most places of Europe. The reference you are looking at, is not spangen construction. It has rivets to the side to hold up the lining within the Kettle, as well as a ridge formed on the top. The kettle you have has rivets to keep multiple pieces of plates riveted in frame. Which only makes a lot of sense in a time when fires in forges couldn't be hot enough to beat the impurities out of objects which would break if made too large. Also, I would stay away from Osprey illustrations, and instead reference from the original art pieces and artifacts the Osprey Illustrator speculates from.

Yes because the artists of those times were so concerned about the accuracy. I would take that approach with a bag of salt. Osprey, for all of its speculations, is still the most trustworthy source right after archeological evidence.

Slytacular said:
Yeah, but the difference is that the Kettle you are using indicates a spangen construction which fell out of popularity by the end of the 13th century in most places of Europe. The reference you are looking at, is not spangen construction. It has rivets to the side to hold up the lining within the Kettle, as well as a ridge formed on the top. The kettle you have has rivets to keep multiple pieces of plates riveted in frame. Which only makes a lot of sense in a time when fires in forges couldn't be hot enough to beat the impurities out of objects which would break if made too large. Also, I would stay away from Osprey illustrations, and instead reference from the original art pieces and artifacts the Osprey Illustrator speculates from.
Its the closest helmet I have found. The ridge you mentioned was added to the helmet. Our modellers are pre-occupied with other stuff so this has to do. I have not come around some art showing soldier equipment from this time. Most were mainly painted in later centuries, so they are mostly not accurate at all.

Dazzer said:
Slytacular said:
Its the closest helmet I have found. The ridge you mentioned was added to the helmet. Our modellers are pre-occupied with other stuff so this has to do. I have not come around some art showing soldier equipment from this time. Most were mainly painted in later centuries, so they are mostly not accurate at all.

What Slytacular is correctly pointing out is that the Osprey reference picture doesn't have any framework banding as 16th/17th century pots didn't need such reinforcement. As you kindly gave me a copy of that helmet for my ECW mod, I'll have a go at correcting it by marrying its brim with the pot from a ridged lobster. I hadn't noticed the problem until Slytacular pointed it out, but I'd like to get it right for both mods.

Edit:

56gM1.jpg

NPC99 said:
Dazzer said:
Slytacular said:

What Slytacular is correctly pointing out is that the Osprey reference picture doesn't have any framework banding as 16th/17th century pots didn't need such reinforcement. As you kindly gave me a copy of that helmet for my ECW mod, I'll have a go at correcting it by marrying its brim with the pot from a ridged lobster. I hadn't noticed the problem until Slytacular pointed it out, but I'd like to get it right for both mods.
Thanks, I appreciate it  :grin:

An excellent review video by Black Watch on the film "Cromwell" (1970). If you have spare time and have nothing to do, please consider watching the video and subscribing :smile:

My apologies if I am being a bit of a stickler, but did you guys apply some form of edit on the lines? I don't remember them spiking that much...? Sounds like you guys jacked the volume a bit too much or some such.

Comrade Crimson said:
My apologies if I am being a bit of a stickler, but did you guys apply some form of edit on the lines? I don't remember them spiking that much...? Sounds like you guys jacked the volume a bit too much or some such.
Yes I made them a little louder because otherwise they would be too quiet in game. I can always fix it if it goes wrong

Dazzer said:
Comrade Crimson said:
Yes I made them a little louder because otherwise they would be too quiet in game. I can always fix it if it goes wrong

I can do some boosts on my end, would you like me to re-send them with the edits done on my end? Not to discredit your own editing, I just got some cool tools on my end that can help. 

Comrade Crimson said:
Dazzer said:
Comrade Crimson said:

I can do some boosts on my end, would you like me to re-send them with the edits done on my end? Not to discredit your own editing, I just got some cool tools on my end that can help.
Thanks for your offer, but that wont be necessary,

triple post, apologies

from Blackwatch's post on FSE
[quote author=Black Watch 1745]  Apologies for lack of updates of late. We have been doing some things over Christmas. I managed to get the first version of the Whitehall model done (credit to NPC99 for texturing it, please do check out his single player ECW mod he is working on: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,368595.0.html ):
S0lt-.jpg
  I am currently reworking the model, it will be split into four different parts (the basement, the main hall, the roof and the annex on the side) and an interior will be added so people can go inside. These textures aren't final of course.
  I am also doing some work on some other models (will post about them in the future). [/quote]

Back
Top Bottom