Phosphor - whats included ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Amtal

Regular
Hiho.

M&B:WB nub here . Stumbled across it roughly 8 weeks ago, was awestruck . Then got bored with native pretty quickly . Did not hesitate to find the MOD boards, found Perisno -> awestruck again . Still busy on my first playthrough on .75 . While reading and learning more and more, learned about Rigale/Phosphor . From what I read...awestrucking XD . Will download v20r7 later today to have my first look at it .

Heres the question: What does v20r7 incoorporate ? From what I gather, its Rigale with diplomacy 4.3 AND Perisno .76 . Did I get that correctly ? Is there anything more packed into it by now which I simply failed to notice while reading through all the information provided by gsanders?

@gsanders: I read you are working on manual/documentation for Phosphor . If so wanted, I would be glad to provide assistance with that .

p.s.: maybe time to get a dedicated Phophor subforum, I can not imagine how you are able keeping track with everything between the Rigale and Perisno sections...

Amtal said:
Hiho.

M&B:WB nub here . Stumbled across it roughly 8 weeks ago, was awestruck . Then got bored with native pretty quickly . Did not hesitate to find the MOD boards, found Perisno -> awestruck again . Still busy on my first playthrough on .75 . While reading and learning more and more, learned about Rigale/Phosphor . From what I read...awestrucking XD . Will download v20r7 later today to have my first look at it .

Heres the question: What does v20r7 incoorporate ? From what I gather, its Rigale with diplomacy 4.3 AND Perisno .76 . Did I get that correctly ? Is there anything more packed into it by now which I simply failed to notice while reading through all the information provided by gsanders?

@gsanders: I read you are working on manual/documentation for Phosphor . If so wanted, I would be glad to provide assistance with that .

p.s.: maybe time to get a dedicated Phophor subforum, I can not imagine how you are able keeping track with everything between the Rigale and Perisno sections...

Hi Amtal:

As for the subforum, the main issues that were keeping me from asking for yet another forum were:
  1)  I wasn't sure if being a blend of Rigale and Perisno meant I was stuck with being under either of their forums.  But I've pretty much overran Rigale with Phosphor stuff, which isn't fair.  When I inherited Rigale from Cromcrom/Cernunos (same person), I promised to keep it "alive" by adding to it.  But the last update was late march/early April and there are many things that I've put into Phosphor that I haven't copied back into Rigale. 

2) until last week, BRANDING was an issue -- I had not clearly understood how to remove Perisno logos, Rigale logos and so on from a combined mod, but last week I solved that.

3) Unique content not seen on either I have had covered, for quite some time.  I have a huge amount of posts here, with the rare outsider post as well, mostly because I can't remember things well and the forum is an excellent place for my log book -- or at least, its handy to ME as a log book, and if anyone wants to follow along that's fine too.  I suspect it wasn't meant to be used this way, so I'll have to find a solution that everyone likes.  I actually can't function without something like this that I can control to log what got changed, what is open, what needs doing, and what next week's goals look like.  I've tried to just keep editing the same post endlessly and then change posts in my log when the topic or theme changes.

Having my own "Phosphor" forum would help track new versions -- I make a new version every two weeks, on average, with the first 6 months coming 1 week apart.  I think 2-3 weeks makes for a more exciting change set.  Pretty much each version is not savegame compatible so 2-3 weeks is one playthrough for a deep game...
------

WHAT GOT MERGED:
  Well even Rigale became something more than when I got it last January.  Until then, Rigale was focused on crafting, gathering, roleplaying layers that other mods ignored.  It was a labor of love by one guy in France and he put YEARS into it.  It had some bugs, one that still shows up from time to time but has a work-around that is fairly simple (if you're stuck in town and can't leave just go to tavern, ESC to save game and exit, load the game, and whatever was in "queue" for killing time (this is a needed condition to get stuck in town) now finishes.

In February I merged Diplomacy 4.3 to Rigale, which needed TWO MONTHS to finish.  I had just come off of 2 months in Perisno -- .71->.73 were mine with nearly no other coders helping.  I was in fact sick, and tired, and didn't appreciate having to carry Perisno by myself, when there were not less than "16 developers" listed.  But I dare say I enjoyed most of my minutes there, and was pretty much thinking I needed to have a project I could do MY way, not according to a committee that seldom coded but wanted "equal say".  I also didn't take criticism well. It was after all my first 3 months after a 25-30 year absence from coding.  After Rigale had Diplomacy, I wanted to make Rigale a good starting platform for other modders, and leave the source to assist them. So I put modmerger framework, battle mini-map, prisoner dialog by Mordachai, and a demonstration of using the framework shown to reboot a Mount & Blade mod plugged into Warband, which some may have felt was impossible.  So I put the earliest open source magic I could find, Mirathei's "Curtain of Fire" into code and released it side by side with Rigale, as a 2-in-1.  that was end of March/April.  Then I merged Perisno, which is NOT open source, and thus I cannot publish Phosphor's source, as I was still the most active actual programmer for Perisno this year (but Perisno is many years old, and had many Programmers).

Phosphor has everything I wanted to add to Perisno, or at least all that I wrote between April and now, plus all of Rigale, all of Diplomacy, formations, pieces of Silverstag, my own system for encumbrance, and my own scheme to use items sorted by categories to infer properties on items without having to make explicit item properties that Warband will reject.  This "implicit" meta-information was something I felt no one else used.  It's old school thinking.
Phosphor has all of Perisno's races, including the very pretty skin for human females that I adapted for Perisno, plus Elven Path's drow, plus undead and skeletons, and one version of Phosphor has all of Perisno 0.8 except the start sequence.  The version you downloaded also has Kaos kit's accelerated start, where you can have a kingdom from first day to not have to grind man-days to get to middle game, plus a huge amount of debugger tools such as a troop inspection to inspect every troop adapted from Silverstag.

Rigale was extended to add from the original 28 recipes to 108 recipes; recipes now have the concept of subcombines -- to make a chain mail tunic, you take Iron, make a "chain links" and this needs a wood as fuel, do this 4 times, now you need to get hides and make a leatherwork, or buy one, and have 2 of those, then make the leatherworks into a leather jacket, and now combine all those to become one chain tunic.  Your skill and a little randomness can put positive or negative item modifiers on the result.  These are all new.  Prices in Perisno were adjusted to prevent someone from getting easy money by becoming a guild master plus having very high (near 20s) skill so they make "lordly" things easily and relatively often, which sell too high.

But Rigale was changed not just that -- both Perisno and Rigale have not less than 400 changes each.  I feel like the result is something not really just "this plus that", like a grand cut & paste, but with original coding.  And original bugs...

The project isn't "finished".  It's actually just now ready for the next stage of things - magic done my way, and religion -- which is itself a form of magic, with the two intertwined.  This needed each layer to work so that the next layers start from a clean base.

So let's be clear:  Rigale, which was started by Cromcrom, went idle after Cromcrom rage quit and actually lost his family over in part an obsession with his coding here.  He came back as Cernonos to almost finish v11 Rigale when I was starting express an interest in the source code, but managed to get himself banned by posts off topic in another forum.  At the time he was agitated about "Muslim" terror in France but generally depressed and hurting, and on a board hosted in Turkey, it really isn't useful to have any perceived bias against any group, especially the host country.  His last act was to get me on as moderator and he did in fact assign me "rights to use" Rigale as I wished.  I wish to keep it intact for him, as OSP in the manner he gave it to me, and free to use all but Phosphor in other mods.  Phosphor, because pieces came from and contain Perisno, would need a deep cleaning before code could be open, for any reason, and since I do it all myself theres no reason to open it.  If I had to scrub that much of it, I would either start again with Rigale 12.1 or Silverstag 26.4 and build it up again from there.  As it stands, Phosphor is WAY more than Perisno.  Notice how it takes months to change Perisno?  This is because when .76 happened, it was 100% code taken from Phosphor, as a gift.  Nobody plays Phosphor.  Perisno has 40K or so players.  Well, not NOBODY.  There were 20 or so people that play.  By now it may be 100.  But for a very long time, Phosphor was "bleeding edge", and likely to stumble often.  You had to kind of know what NOT to do to not crash.

By now it should be hard to hang.  If you can run Perisno -- you can run Phosphor.  Same specs.  BUT use Warband 1.161-1.168, only.  Encumbrance checking uses calls that aren't in 1.53-1.158 Warband engine.

So there you have it.

- GS

P.S. you asked about the manual.  Expect that to need 2 days to get a MS Word document version to acceptable draft.  I don't have software to export to .PDF
but I can pound out a Word document in quick order.

Just adding to this instead of opening a new thread ( I hope it gets read XD ).

The 2 patches for v20r7 to r71 and r72 need to be a pplied to v20r71 folder one after the other, or is the r72 patch actually both ?

And THANKS MUCH ! for the player handbook . That is really helpfull .

Amtal said:
Just adding to this instead of opening a new thread ( I hope it gets read XD ).

The 2 patches for v20r7 to r71 and r72 need to be a pplied to v20r71 folder one after the other, or is the r72 patch actually both ?

And THANKS MUCH ! for the player handbook . That is really helpfull .

The r7.2 patch is for any v20r7  so it can work for r7 or  r7.1
  I took the 7.1 patch and added what changed plus 1 resource file, so its there.  I just didn't need to make a 100 MB rebuild of r7 when a tiny patch was enough, so from say Perisno 75 or 76 there would be the large v20 r7 followed by the tiny v20 r7.2

That gets you all the fixes I planned for .76 last night plus a few minor Rigale fixes (well, technically all the fixes are Rigale or Phosphor extensions, but some of those I ported to Perisno as ".76").  Plus it gives the player an optional magic just to play with in the two premade characters, but it is in a very early form.
The magic fairly weak and without all the bells and whistles -- no magic resistance system, no going right through armor, no new damage types, no counter religion or adverse effect from using it, no NPC characters or leaders with magic items, no new troop types (some of those are save game breakers). 

I'll take 2-3 weeks now and do something I've considered for a long time but didn't feel like I was at a good stopping point to take up.  If it works, you'll know about it, but the code is really foreign to me, so I'll just see how it goes.  That should let everyone finish their play through before I break savegame, unless this patch broke it accidentally.

- GS

Great .

I want to ask your forgiveness, the first thing I wanted to post when comingback here was actually a big THANK YOU for your extensive and information reply to my first question . I found it absolutely astonishing how you find the time to answer each and everything asked so thoroughly .

So here goes.

THANK YOU .

For all the timeyou put in, your patience, and all the information you provide.

This sounds bloody fantastic, GS! You seem to really know what makes an interesting Warband mod. I'll be watching this one like a hawk, that's for damn sure. Seeing as you're knocking out fairly regular patches that aren't compatible, I'll probably give it a month or two inbetween downloads. But here's hoping you get a Phosphor board soon and all the best with future progress!

kevinflemming said:
This sounds bloody fantastic, GS! You seem to really know what makes an interesting Warband mod. I'll be watching this one like a hawk, that's for damn sure. Seeing as you're knocking out fairly regular patches that aren't compatible, I'll probably give it a month or two inbetween downloads. But here's hoping you get a Phosphor board soon and all the best with future progress!

Well thats the big gotcha.  Adding even 1 global variable, one new timer trigger, or one new row to troops, or moving some items around, all break save games.  I expect a playable Pho next week, in as much as the Pho tests the last month had many nuisance issues.  But yes 1 to 2 months is Christmas/New Years.  If you wish to wait that long its always been your choice.  Perisno will probably have an official 0.8 out, even without me shoving it on them, by next summer.  I'm not very willing to stop coding because time is short for me, shorter than many, and I expect to get a lot done in little time.  So I am not happy with sleepy little mods that code 50 lines a month and think it's "great progress" in their tweets.  I can write 50 lines in 50 minutes and then rewrite it all the next morning; so can a hundred other junior devs.  The main difference I think is the willingness to try to think beyond the box.  If I ever do that I'll be happy for an hour; I already came to the mod satisfied to die.  Death is when you surrender your dreams, and say "I am Nothing".  This is true enough. But, Right Now, I plan to LIVE.  And that means, for once in my loser life, I"m going to WRITE.  AS in "Life is Art - Write On!"

Even Taleworlds is sleepy about getting bannerlord out the door; they could always release the module system early so people can code for it (hint hint).  For me the module system is the only reason to buy warband.  It was never purchased for native only, except when I didnt realize how mods worked and in fact bought it and played native.  The hundreds of mods, some of them playable, that are opened by the modding system layer is the main value of Warband.

Hopefully I or my successor bothers to write in that 2 month span you decided is better to visit.  Two months is about 2 pages for mods you watch like a hawk; but even watching Pho like a moth means 2 days is 2 pages.  Hah!  Keep up if you can, but only when its worth it.

- GS 

gsanders said:
  Well thats the...
...its worth it.

- GS

A playable version next week? I'll definitely make that a "first download" then, if only to try it out and get a feel for Pho. Then I'll most likely wait a while after. The amount of time I wait tends to revolve around how busy I am or if I remember to check in. It's generally how I am with mods, and Indie games. I try to be patient, give a decent amount of time and let people work. Everything takes time to do. Rather than hassle them, potentially forcing progress too fast. Looking at you, most AAA games of the past few years. Although by the sounds of it, you're already on the case and not wasting any time! It's great to see such determination and focus to achieve your goals. I have no doubt, this mod will be quite something.

Yes, they are taking their sweet time with it. That's for sure. I can only speculate as to what is taking so long. But patience is a virtue, I guess. I have to say, I'm excited about Bannerlord. Mainly to see how it compares to the mods of Warband, rather than the game itself. Hopefully, they have seen what can be done and are trying to turn it into a unique experience. But again, speculation.

I completely agree with the modules being the only reason to buy Warband. I played Native to understand the mechanics but as with most games, it wasn't long before I felt unsatisfied and looked to the shiny mods to expand on the entertainment value. Although, every time I come across an amazing mod or something it has altered specifically, I always wonder "Why isn't this already in the game and what the hell have they been doing with their time?"

I shall definitely try to keep up!

Fair enough.  I'll make a tester version "F" tonight but it still has a lot of bugs. 

Also its fair to say the mod is extremely difficult to master at first for the crafting system/guilds, and specific strange bugs (such as suddenly not able to leave town, go to castle or tavern and press the Escape key to save game and exit; then immediately load game and continue.  You should have the auto-save on).
There is a user guide in the mod, for "Phosphor version 20" but it's a start.  Mainly the king/prince/vassal options were recent and not added to that yet.

The next week is focused on specific bugs:
  hunting spots -- the spots that dont show animals moving are bugged at the moment
  taverns -- sometimes, something spawns that breaks a tavern.  This something moves around over time.  I want to find that and block it from spawning.
  banners and flags - kings have no flags, instead they have map icons, incorrectly.
  a few villages continue to not have correct scenes.  The one I noticed today was "Banuk", near Refugio town.
  I have no idea, yet, where all the  commas ',' came from in place of spaces in every text box
  battles that should have been lost from retreats are flagged as wins so long as the other side had enough routed troops
  two bodyguards often spawn in taverns, villages, etc, even when you only have 1 companion that is capable of being a bodyguard

magic is mostly place holder at the moment and needs tweaking.
      there should be some sort of heal as well, but that is waiting on other intermediate changes
      when I am happy with it I want more lords to have magic; for now it isn't really safe yet.  For one thing, it kills a lot of friendlies!
        (of course drow couldn't care less - the males have low worth!)

I would consider any of those excellent things to remove when I have time, and keeping me from considering any release before next week as "ready to play"
I can release "more ready to test" real_soon_now (TM)

- GS

Great to see this mod still going, it is one of my top mods.
which are in no order : Silverstag, Prophecy of Pendor, and Phosphor

I just started playing Warband again in Pendor, Phospor and Silverstag are on my list to play next.

In my opinion the better Phosphor "worth" playing again hasn't been posted.  I'll spend next week in the hospital and a better Pho will be released around Valentine's day.  I've found many mistakes in the older versions which I finally have insights to their solutions.  It would be a Cosmic joke for me to expire under anesthetic but since that's statistically unlikely I expect the changes will be released.  You can preview many of them in the about to be released "Warsword Conquest" (scroll down to the bottom of page 1, just beneath the split for "released mods" and you'll see it.)

I'll have the following components testing:
  1) Sea trade reworked for rivers; they never get stuck but they aren't shown travelling. 

2) Brytenwalda style sea travel but with no insta drown if you fall off ship; you now tread water and bleed hit points by encumbrance, with naked persons able to tread water for some time.  It's a bit corny - some will bob to the surface while others walk around underneath them, but it beats all those insta kills.  Amphibians (skinks and saurus) can't drown.

3) dodge is now aware of weapons speed and projectile velocity speed; magic, mount damage, shield bashing produces no errors now.  Dodge is much more refined than before.

4) All versions of Phosphor and all Perisno built on them (74, 76, 77 (any)) had an error in slots_troop_xxxx  memory slot useage, which also affected  slot_troop_eff_athletics  used to store a critical value for dodge; this region was walked on by the enlarged table storing relations with every hero (and there were too many heroes for the space reserved for this table, so it corrupted 41 or so slots in memory).  This was something I recently noticed while counting heroes in Warsword Conquest and applying my calculation strategy to Pho / Perisno 0.8 / Perisno 0.7-series

5) A much improved icon flip when crossing water (land units show ship, flip back to their original land icon).  This is greatly sped up by use of a list system and two level simple_triggers timers to reduce the number of elements AND frequency of what was a often called  try_for_parties    loop.

6)  A grenades/magic  fix that doesn't blow up the thrower for once

and I'll try one more time on a change to perhaps influence the "can't leave town" open issue occurring when a timed activity is in progress, like learning a skill or crafting.

- GS

Back
Top Bottom