Pets pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Count Delinard said:
But Kurczak just look at that paragraph I quoted! Cats sound like  a hassle and in exchange you get an animal that is not devoted to you enough like a dog is.. just personal opinion  :smile:
Count Delinard said:
I guess I never saw a cat be that devoted to any cat owner I ever knew, probably bad owners. Fair enough :smile:

My armchair zoologist/behavioralist theory is that dogs are by nature pack animals, so if you insert yourself as the pack leader, you will get loyalty and devotion and the bus drives itself. Cats on the other hand are solitary by nature, although feral cats have been known to form colonies, but that's still mostly living next to each other. They never(?) hunt together like dogs or wolves do. So a cat is not really wired to "need" you the way dog is. A genuine wildcat has affectionate relationships only with its mother and littermates and only until it grows up and is kicked out by the mother, so when house cats are affectionate towards you, or humans in general, it's because they are kinda mentally arrested in late kittenhood and see you (or if done really right, all humans) as their perpetual surrogate mother, because you've never kicked them out. The parent-child dynamic is different from pack hierarchy and the cats kinda expect you, in the end, to love them unconditionally like a mother would, hence their proneness to mischief and unruliness. But they still love you :smile: But if you are just "meh I'll let them be around" then they can do that too and revert to their natural solitary ways and only tolerate you being around just like you only tolerate them being around.

I've got a 600 pages long users' manual for cats, and it says that they actually prefer to live socially, it's just their hunting habits make them look solidary. And that is because they hunt stuff that is generally smaller than they are, so they don't need to gang up on them, and their sneaky ambush tactics are more effective when done alone.

By my observations, cats indeed don't have trouble living together in numbers if food is in abundance. There was an industrial facility near my grandma's place, and cat feeding was kinda the local sport there, and seeing a dozen or more cats chilling out in one area wasn't an uncommon thing.

Nemo: have you ever trimmed her claws? We have to do that with our little guy every few weeks, because otherwise his claws get quite sharp and in his enthusiasm he can really scratch us. He doesn't enjoy the process, but it's worth it. (It usually takes two people, one to hold him and one to do the clipping.) Maybe that would help reduce the damage your cat is doing.

Nah, she goes outside often enough that keeping her claws mostly sharp are recommended. We did do it a couple times when she was a kitten and had very poor control of them though.

It's a shame you don't have more than one, and from the same litter.  They learn manners from their littermates about how hard to bite and scratch.  Unfortunately, destroying curtains is one of the things they do.  It's in their DNA.

One of my babies.
FCUaZ.jpg
She's a 16 year old Goffin's cockatoo.

I got a dog from a gas station. Originally just picked her up to keep her from getting hit, but nobody in the nearby houses knew her, she wasn't chipped, and I couldn't find anyone to adopt her so I've just kept her. She's australian cattle dog and something else, is our best guess. Really sweet to people but she tries to fight any other dog on contact. Not sure what to do about that besides obviously keeping her away from other dogs.
6_F17.jpg
MnDSb.jpg
t1bQ5.jpg
T_H0P.jpg
dNiTY.jpg

krik said:
I got a dog from a gas station. Originally just picked her up to keep her from getting hit, but nobody in the nearby houses knew her, she wasn't chipped, and I couldn't find anyone to adopt her so I've just kept her. She's australian cattle dog and something else, is our best guess. Really sweet to people but she tries to fight any other dog on contact. Not sure what to do about that besides obviously keeping her away from other dogs.
6_F17.jpg
MnDSb.jpg
t1bQ5.jpg
T_H0P.jpg
dNiTY.jpg

Such behavior is most often result of past bad experience. Give her time to get really comfortable at home, at least a year or so, before trying to socialize her with other dogs. A good place is a kind of "neutral ground", a dog park or something like that away from home so it's not on her "turf".

Got any age estimate? It's hard to tell from photos...

Back
Top Bottom