Petition to return to the pre 1.7.0 method of assigning troop types.

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't particularly like parts of the new system, but I do believe the idea of assigning group commanders with skills/perks along with pre-battle deployment is a good step forward.
It just needs to give control (or "micromanagement") of the troops back to the player!
People have clearly voiced what they want in assigning troops so I think the Devs (@Callum @MRay ...etc) will take that into account and improve on the new system!

You could assign commanders in the party screen. Just by putting them the formation you wanted them to command. Foot units ? Just don't have then on a horse.

Yeah I know where you're coming from, and get that feeling too ... but give them time to fix this new ... nw .. "work in progress" :grin:

It should have been an addon where those that pushed for it to try it. But still be able to remove it until the Devs fix'd it. Not shove it in when it's obviously BROKEN.

Sign this if you agree.

The new method of pre battle troop assignments before a battle as opposed to in the party screen is cool, but what is missing is the ability to separate cultural troop types. Unless I'm doing it wrong it seems like you can only create squads of troop types but not culture. For example I used to squad my companions and use them as a body guard. I can't really do that anymore. I also used to love having troops like Wildlings grouped together for ambush and skirmishers and Line breakers as a reserve etc.

Seems like we can't do that anymore and now it's just lumping eveyone grouped together. Doesn't seem like a well thought-out improvement to me and takes the fun of customizing one's tactical play away (thus taking away a really fun aspect of the game).

Can Taleworlds please consider putting the troop assignment in the party screen back?

I agree, Taleworlds PLEASE put the troop assignment back into the party screen where it belongs.

No, OOB just needs some more option to filter troops, but returning to the old system is not good enough and isn't going to happen.
I made this suggestion just saying we need better filters or options.
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...nt-i-want-more-direct-control-of-this.448910/
However you can do pretty well separating them, I was able to separate Khan's guards from buck-a-larry HA with some trial and error, just adjusting the slider with a rough Idea of how many non pole arm HA I had. It would be easier to also just do it manually though.
But no I don't want to see the old system return, I just want more option on the OOB.

Trial and error huh ! If you gotta stumble your way through it. Then they need a tutorial so we unwashed peasants can make it work. Or ! Just give us a deployment screen before battle to place units you've formed IN THE PARTY SCREEN on the battlefield. You don't form units just before a fight.

Yes, I'd like something to let me assign specific troops to different groups. Don't care what screen it's in.

I used to group my skirmishers in one group and have my line breaker / shock troops separate to my standard infantry so I could use them to flank / hit the rear of the enemy.

It would work really well and the enemy would break very quickly...can't do that any more :sad:

I just got back to the game to see the new updates and realized now i can't assign new recuits to a seperate group and only send them against looters to level them up fast. This was literally a core mechanic for me how are we supposed to train new recuits fast in this system? If i send them with higher tiers they just take all the kills and slow down leveling up of lower tiers.

No, OOB just needs some more option to filter troops, but returning to the old system is not good enough and isn't going to happen.
I made this suggestion just saying we need better filters or options.
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...nt-i-want-more-direct-control-of-this.448910/
However you can do pretty well separating them, I was able to separate Khan's guards from buck-a-larry HA with some trial and error, just adjusting the slider with a rough Idea of how many non pole arm HA I had. It would be easier to also just do it manually though.
But no I don't want to see the old system return, I just want more option on the OOB.

You make an OOB BEFORE battle. Not on the fly just before swords are drawn.

I think very similar. So better to improve the new system, but sure it needs some practical tests for adjustment. The old system was to limited in options.

But worked to the extent that you could at least put what troops you wanted in whatever formation you pleased. Without the AI/system putting troops it thought should be in the unit also.

But worked to the extent that you could at least put what troops you wanted in whatever formation you pleased. Without the AI/system putting troops it thought should be in the unit also.
Would be reall fine. So as possibility i support that absolutely!
But i think really the new system is the basic framework for that 'new', it is definetely not a further development of the old.
As i started the early access i thought first the game will be soon finished for a release. Meanwhile it seems to be clear, the foundation is done, but even the frameworks not all present and implemented and also possible to be changed nearly completely.
Anyway for me the farfar futured mods will be even more interesting than the vanilla version. But clear first there must be a real foundation and standing framework of bannerlord so good mods can be developed. (surely not really soon, but hopes are hopes) ^^

With regard to assigning troops I would like to see a combination of the old and the new system: the ability to redesignate the formation number for a troop type in the Party [P] screen in combination with the current set up for pre-battle deployment options. That way it is possible to group particular types of infantry and cavalry in their own numbered formation if one is so inclined, while also being able to alter that in the predeployment screen if so desired. One previous habit was for instance to retain all shock infantry under formation 1 and redesignate all javelineers as formation five, similarly all shock cavalry under the default formation 3 and all javelin equipped troopers under formation 7. Being able to do so again in the Party [P] screen and then able to have that formation deploy freely in the pre-battle deployment screen would be the perfect solution for me. Having troops with different fighting styles combined reduces the player's possibilities for varied tactics. The current implementation of dividing up cavalry that results in just multiple units with each a mix of heavy cavalry, regular shock cavalry and mounted javelineers is not ideal when one wishes to make best use of each fighting style during the engagement.

I really don't like the new system and would go back to the old with pleasure. The entire slider thing is so unneccessary and complicated, why? For example I was not able so far to get my twohanded warriors into a separate formation just because they have small shields. I really considered to go back to 1.6.5 or 1.6.4, but that's nonsense as all the good mods will update to 1.7 sooner or later.

Maybe there are hidden tricks to overcome the problems and I didn't find them yet. If the system stays (and it will of course), I desparately needed more out-of-battle possibilities to put troops into formations. I read the arguments of the devs for the sliders but I'm not convinced.

Having played a bit more with the new system I'm really starting to like it. They just need to provide more options for the troop types you can assign to each group. Right now it's very limited but has a lot of potential.

I like splitting my archers and cav so I can hit the enemy from different angles. Would be nice to have a skirmisher option for inf and cav and a line breaker / shock troop option.

If taleworlds can't develop it further I'm sure a talented modder will be able to.

What ever you do - NEVER do the "train peasants" village quest .. it's HORRENDOUS !! You cannot divide troop skill types, meaning all elite troops and trainee peasants are together, so it's very difficult to train up by attacking Looters.

The only work around is to go to your town and move all elite troops into the town .... annoying.

.Also, I suspect in the future, modders will want to setup groups with particular troop types - eg "Hastati" or "Princeps" etc etc etc Current system doesn't allow that.

Hard coding is a ....... !

Last edited:
Yes, you form units in the party screen. Not just before battle, before battle you deploy units not form them !
I agree, does this count as a signature? I'm glad this was brought up.
new question. Why are family and companions gettin glost after quests and do not return or be reported as prisoners, but reported in a town and they cannot be found, not in local villages, not in bandit bases that I can find, etc? 90+ days without them is too long. Moral is good in the group. whats up? thanks

What ever you do - NEVER do the "train peasants" village quest .. it's HORRENDOUS !! You cannot divide troop skill types, meaning all elite troops and trainee peasants are together, so it's very difficult to train up by attacking Looters.

The only work around is to go to your town and move all elite troops into the town .... annoying.

.Also, I suspect in the future, modders will want to setup groups with particular troop types - eg "Hastati" or "Princeps" etc etc etc Current system doesn't allow that.

Hard coding is a ....... !

good point, this quest just got worse. It is perhaps good in early game or using poor troops along side them, but not in the present system after early game.

I'm surprised more people aren't frustrated by this. An easy way to group troops by type and culture seems like a no brainer. Also a way of grouping your companions into their own unit. Oh well, I guess I'm in the super minority on this one. :sad:
we are in the minority, the new system has merit, while removing all the good stuff of the last system. Don't beta players complain about this ? Now we cannot protect weak units, How to do the "train troops" well unless one has no other infantry without shields etc? Am I missing something?

I don't particularly like parts of the new system, but I do believe the idea of assigning group commanders with skills/perks along with pre-battle deployment is a good step forward.
It just needs to give control (or "micromanagement") of the troops back to the player!
People have clearly voiced what they want in assigning troops so I think the Devs (@Callum @MRay ...etc) will take that into account and improve on the new system!
yes on the game, and to Plato, yes, so let's all go into our inner closet or self and say "something" we are trying to articulate the un articulatable, and it is wonderful :smile:

Back
Top Bottom