Petition to return to the pre 1.7.0 method of assigning troop types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Teknoviking

Recruit
Sign this if you agree.

The new method of pre battle troop assignments before a battle as opposed to in the party screen is cool, but what is missing is the ability to separate cultural troop types. Unless I'm doing it wrong it seems like you can only create squads of troop types but not culture. For example I used to squad my companions and use them as a body guard. I can't really do that anymore. I also used to love having troops like Wildlings grouped together for ambush and skirmishers and Line breakers as a reserve etc.

Seems like we can't do that anymore and now it's just lumping eveyone grouped together. Doesn't seem like a well thought-out improvement to me and takes the fun of customizing one's tactical play away (thus taking away a really fun aspect of the game).

Can Taleworlds please consider putting the troop assignment in the party screen back?

No, OOB just needs some more option to filter troops, but returning to the old system is not good enough and isn't going to happen.
I made this suggestion just saying we need better filters or options.
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...nt-i-want-more-direct-control-of-this.448910/
However you can do pretty well separating them, I was able to separate Khan's guards from buck-a-larry HA with some trial and error, just adjusting the slider with a rough Idea of how many non pole arm HA I had. It would be easier to also just do it manually though.
But no I don't want to see the old system return, I just want more option on the OOB.

I'm surprised more people aren't frustrated by this. An easy way to group troops by type and culture seems like a no brainer. Also a way of grouping your companions into their own unit. Oh well, I guess I'm in the super minority on this one. :sad:

The new troops' assignment will take a little getting used to and I expect it to change before release ( 'hope' more than 'expect' ) and I agree with you, we should be able to form up troops according to their culture group. I can't expect Battanians to fight the same way as Vlandians or Kuzait.
But I'm not frustrated by the new assignment of troops, I can still give orders to the different units during battles so to me it doesn't really matter what culture group charges on mounts or attacks with bows, as long as I can order their movements on the battlefield. Then again, once the battle has reached a certain point it becomes a messy free-for-all anyway, and giving orders then is like trying to cleave water, so I don't think it's so important to me.

I gave up on the new system. I just use it to move my troops to a higher location or closer to a seige engine. Other than that I don't mess with the sliders as they bug out too often and I end up with random troops in different piles.

Also, if implemented properly I would still find it too cumbersome and unnecessary for 90% of the battles fought as the AI is far to predictabt as it is, even with mods.

Order in battle is good , but need some improvements and fixes , i miss filter Bows and Crosbows and also there is bug when cavalary is mixed with archers and cant be filter out , also for troops will be good have there two handed weapons when you need shock troops in back line .

No, OOB just needs some more option to filter troops, but returning to the old system is not good enough and isn't going to happen.
I made this suggestion just saying we need better filters or options.
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...nt-i-want-more-direct-control-of-this.448910/
However you can do pretty well separating them, I was able to separate Khan's guards from buck-a-larry HA with some trial and error, just adjusting the slider with a rough Idea of how many non pole arm HA I had. It would be easier to also just do it manually though.
But no I don't want to see the old system return, I just want more option on the OOB.
I think very similar. So better to improve the new system, but sure it needs some practical tests for adjustment. The old system was to limited in options.

I like the new system, but why can't I assign roles to companions anymore? My strategy to keep them alive is to make them archers or have them follow me. That no longer seems to be an option.

Anyway, my vote is new system with more granularity in the controls.

I like the new system, but why can't I assign roles to companions anymore? My strategy to keep them alive is to make them archers or have them follow me. That no longer seems to be an option.

Anyway, my vote is new system with more granularity in the controls.
Yeah that was my strategy too and I loved the immersive feel of having my companions as my personal honour guard. I miss them. Now I can only wave at them from afar on the battle field and my extra layer of protection is gone. They used to watch my back when those pesky knights came lancing from behind.

Yeah that was my strategy too and I loved the immersive feel of having my companions as my personal honour guard. I miss them. Now I can only wave at them from afar on the battle field and my extra layer of protection is gone. They used to watch my back when those pesky knights came lancing from behind.
My companions aren't all that useful in a fight, generally speaking, but I can't just leave my doctor, quartermaster, and pregnant wife back with the baggage train like any sane commander would.

That means I have to try to keep them from getting killed. The best way I've found is to either give them a bow and surround them with Fian Champions or give them a horse and have them follow me. I wouldn't care that much if they were just brawlers - those are a dime a dozen - but doctors and traders are hard to find.

Why do I have to bring noncombatants into combat at all...?

Last edited:
I agree with the author of the post. But I also think that there is no need to return to the old system. Perhaps it is worth combining these two systems.

My companions aren't all that useful in a fight, generally speaking, but I can't just leave my doctor, quartermaster, and pregnant wife back with the baggage train like any sane commander would.

That means I have to try to keep them from getting killed. The best way I've found is to either give them a bow and surround them with Fian Champions or give them a horse and have them follow me. I wouldn't care that much if they were just brawlers - those are a dime a dozen - but doctors and traders are hard to find.

Why do I have to bring noncombatants into combat at all...?
Because they are your merry companions and have your back! LOL.

I don't particularly like parts of the new system, but I do believe the idea of assigning group commanders with skills/perks along with pre-battle deployment is a good step forward.
It just needs to give control (or "micromanagement") of the troops back to the player!
People have clearly voiced what they want in assigning troops so I think the Devs (@Callum @MRay ...etc) will take that into account and improve on the new system!

I think they could work together, I liked being able to group different unit types, If you can do this then perhaps a tutorial that shows how to use the new command system would be great. But otherwise please bring back the grouping options in the party screen. being able to have fodder and strong troops is part of any battle plan.

Sign this if you agree.

The new method of pre battle troop assignments before a battle as opposed to in the party screen is cool, but what is missing is the ability to separate cultural troop types. Unless I'm doing it wrong it seems like you can only create squads of troop types but not culture. For example I used to squad my companions and use them as a body guard. I can't really do that anymore. I also used to love having troops like Wildlings grouped together for ambush and skirmishers and Line breakers as a reserve etc.

Seems like we can't do that anymore and now it's just lumping eveyone grouped together. Doesn't seem like a well thought-out improvement to me and takes the fun of customizing one's tactical play away (thus taking away a really fun aspect of the game).

Can Taleworlds please consider putting the troop assignment in the party screen back?

Yes, you form units in the party screen. Not just before battle, before battle you deploy units not form them !

I think they could work together, I liked being able to group different unit types, If you can do this then perhaps a tutorial that shows how to use the new command system would be great. But otherwise please bring back the grouping options in the party screen. being able to have fodder and strong troops is part of any battle plan.

I totally agree or make it optional for those that like it so much. But others don't have to be saddled with something that they didn't ask for and definitely don't like.

Back
Top Bottom