Personalized Stem Cells

Users who are viewing this thread

macethump

Sergeant Knight
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071120/ap_on_sc/stem_cells
At last, another way to accomplish this noble goal.  It MAY be that our youngest people (see that other thread) can now do their cell divisions in private without fear of "harvesting."  Not all the bugs worked out yet, but there is reason for hope.

Vilhjalmr said:
And yet the conservatives will surely find some new reason to ***** about it.
If you read the article, you will see that many of the most severe conservative critics are definitely up for this.  It involves using cells from the patient who needs the therapy, minimizing chances of rejection.

Vilhjalmr said:
They'll probably say that it is not right to mess with God's creation.
Meh...too late.  We've been doing that for a long time.  And, often as not, organized religion has been an instigator.  People are still people, religious or not.

Well it's better than using embryos, but to be honest they aren't even alive to care, and you can theoretically use only one embryo over and over, with potentially much better results. This method has advantages too, but I'm dubious.

Vilhjalmr said:
Cleaning Agent said:
...I'm dubious.

There. What did I tell you?
Go ahead, be dubious.  But using cells from embryos (non-self) could provoke an immune reaction, with undesirable consequences.  This method avoids those problems, at least potentially.  We could be seeing this become common in the next decade.  The government funding problems and ethical concerns continue to dog the embryonic method.  As the article says, each may have advantages.  Time will tell.

Well it's better than using embryos, but to be honest they aren't even alive to care, and you can theoretically use only one embryo over and over, with potentially much better results. This method has advantages too, but I'm dubious.

Depends what you want them for. In terms of actually treating a patient, their own stem cells are always going to be the best to use, in much the same way that when performing a skin graft you tend to be better off using the patient's own skin rather than someone else's. The problem is that stem cells can be used for so much more, which requires both larger quantities and less specific cells than you can extract from the average developed human.

Of course, over here we're managing to breed mice which develop human-compatible stem cells, so it shouldn't be too long before we can farm them without needing to involve anything more sentient than yeast.

Don't bet on it. We always test our new stuff on mice. The average lab mouse probably has a greater understanding of modern technology than the average school kid.

They're just sitting there, biding their time, waiting for us to turn their back and suckering us in with their cute whisker grooming shenanigans. Once the time is right, they'll rise up and overthrow their human overlords. I know, I've got a spy in their ranks!

Both labs did basically the same thing. Each used viruses to ferry four genes into the skin cells. These particular genes were known to turn other genes on and off, but just how they produced cells that mimic embryonic stem cells is a mystery.

Using virus to transport and insert genes into cells. Just another day for a genetist.

Archonsod said:
Don't bet on it. We always test our new stuff on mice. The average lab mouse probably has a greater understanding of modern technology than the average school kid.

They're just sitting there, biding their time, waiting for us to turn their back and suckering us in with their cute whisker grooming shenanigans. Once the time is right, they'll rise up and overthrow their human overlords. I know, I've got a spy in their ranks!
Of course, everyone knows that mice are three-dimensional representations of hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional beings that only have representatives on Earth to monitor its progress. :razz:
[/shameless quote ripoff]

Rabid Potatoe said:
DON'T PANIC!
Oh, go ahead.  If not now, when?  If not here, where?  Just because we're paranoid does not mean that they aren't out to get us.  KILL THE MICE!  What we need now are some nice, big black rat snakes.
2727971-md.jpg

Now, let's get back on topic, shall we?

triato said:
Using virus to transport and insert genes into cells. Just another day for a genetist.

Uh, yep. It is. Not big on the methods of genetic engineering are you? :roll:

Really do hope that there'll be a little less, fear mongering. =P Although I guess they'll find a way to ignore facts, the laws of science and the fact that their particular religious beliefs shouldn't control the rest of our lives. Yeah, probably going to go with that option. :lol:

Oh, well I guess the disabled, severely wounded and genetically disadvantaged will just have to keep waiting. :???: At least we'll still have Douglas Adams. :smile:

Not big but neither ignorant. The fact that those things amaze me does not mean they are new to me.

Back
Top Bottom