Perks system

Users who are viewing this thread

Vladi12

Recruit
Hey,
Came back playing bannerlord now that quite a few advancements has been made and i'm glad to see that the most the perks are more or less implemented and functional. However there are few things that really confuse me.

1. Abundance of Captain and Governor perks. I mean they seem cool and powerful but the player can't use any Governor related perks at all and has very minimal use for Captain skills. On the other hand companions (who actually can benefit from both) have their skill points often nearly maxed, all over the place and they are very slow to level up to make it even worse. I want to believe i'm the main character in my story and somehow i got the poorest perks of everyone. What is the development philosophy behind this? It's really unrewarding to reach some certain threshold and notice it's just something that does absolutely nothing for me.

2. The leveling of certain perk tree is insanely slow and hard, while others come by themselves. I'm looking at you Smithing and Steward.

3. There are few perk trees that are just boring or useless. Roguery and Scouting are best examples. There could be tricky niche things there for example Roguery granting some decent combat benefits to bandits if one ever wanted to go that way to start with. Scouting lacks anything special about it. I mean you don't need anything for the perks that are there, a companion with high enough scouting does the trick even if no points were allocated. I'm not sure how to improve these, but I'd imagine you had idea why would anyone pick them when you included them in the game. Sad bit is that nobody in their right mind would, unless they are rping some very specific character.

4. For the plus side i'm pretty happy with how the different weapons and the perks are. While mounted bow and polearm certainly seems most powerful combo at the moment, i can still make it work using any other combination as well. Another example why balance (for me atleast) isn't so important. Like that looter is going to rage quit after i run him through with a some op glaive of mine.

In summary please make captain skills atleast work for the player. Would be easy to let them lead a formation in their own party right? Granted the captain skills sometimes are pretty powerful but who cares. If something is powerful in single player game it's not end of the world is it?

ps. the encyclopedia could use more info on perks tab and when they are applied.
pps. If my claims any of my claims are outright false i'd appreciate the correction.

1. Abundance of Captain and Governor perks.
Yeah, I'd like it if once the order of battle stuff is implemented, the player can choose to set themselves as a captain for normal battles. Also, I think the player should be able to set themselves as a governor for 1 fief, why not? It's just one fief out of dozens and dozens. Also, I like the early retirement idea of choosing to pass the clan to a child (or whoever) and the MC becoming a normal clan member who could then be used as governor.

2. The leveling of certain perk tree is insanely slow and hard, while others come by themselves. I'm looking at you Smithing and Steward.
Yeah, I wish medicine could get a daily proc like steward, what are you not taking care of the troops basic health needs too? What about after battle, all damaged troops are healed even if they're not KO'd? How about that?

If my claims any of my claims are outright false i'd appreciate the correction.
Scouting lacks anything special about it
Scouting is pretty good TBH. As with all skills, it has some duds that could be replaced with better perks, or perks could be increased from 2% to something a it more substantial but scouting is still better then most skills. The benefit of keen sight and uncanny insight for the party leader are very good and worth taking it on your MC. You can do reticules?? ... crazy things like take a full faction hostage forever or execute everyone but keep just the leader your prisoner forever and use thier land as a forced recruitment troop farm forever.

4. For the plus side i'm pretty happy with how the different weapons and the perks are.
I think Bow is pretty good perk wise, the other ranged are okay, but the melee needs some more useful stuff and not nonsense like +2% damage when you kill everything in 1-2 hits anyways. Also, you can have zero skills in melee and they work fine too, not sure if TW will ever overhaul that so you need skill to actually swing weapons effectively or not.
the encyclopedia could use more info on perks tab and when they are applied.
For sure, people are constantly confused about them and for good reason.

Scouting is pretty good TBH. As with all skills, it has some duds that could be replaced with better perks, or perks could be increased from 2% to something a it more substantial but scouting is still better then most skills. The benefit of keen sight and uncanny insight for the party leader are very good and worth taking it on your MC. You can do reticules?? ... crazy things like take a full faction hostage forever or execute everyone but keep just the leader your prisoner forever and use thier land as a forced recruitment troop farm forever.

I think Bow is pretty good perk wise, the other ranged are okay, but the melee needs some more useful stuff and not nonsense like +2% damage when you kill everything in 1-2 hits anyways. Also, you can have zero skills in melee and they work fine too, not sure if TW will ever overhaul that so you need skill to actually swing weapons effectively or not.
Thanks for your reply and input.
Took a second look at scouting and i must agree. it's actually not that bad. While it's almost entirely qol and non-combat tree it's actually quite loaded with nice little things that actually MC can use. Same goes with Leadership, for different reasons.

The weapons perks are very average for MC i think, especially as you said with the 1-2 hits regardless. Think being able to captain some formation would make them appealing enough.

Suppose i'll give it a one last go with the emphasis on leading my captains rather than keeping them as extra muscles, governors and caravan masters.

Back
Top Bottom