Perisno: The New Beginning (v. II, Patch 3: 03.apr.2019)

Users who are viewing this thread

I will never understand the way you think, Leonion. 

You spend admirable efforts on polishing some parts of the mod, and personalizing them so that courting a princess is fun, so that lords' facial features match their personalities and quirks, etc.

And then, a few days later, you add cookie cutter troops called "daimyo" to join the Gelardin "dukes".  Both of these are extremely high titles of nobility - I am pretty sure you know that a duke is the highest ranking vassal of a king, and that daimyo, literally "great landowners", were the next in power to the shogun himself.  Why not use a word for great champion instead?  Великие князья vs bогатыри - which ones do you think would be more appropriate in the context.  I mean, even writing the former as a plural feels awkward.

Nice outfit, though.

Tuidjy said:
so that courting a princess is fun
Never did any coding in this department.
All is gsanders's work.

Tuidjy said:
And then, a few days later, you add cookie cutter troops called "daimyo" to join the Gelardin "dukes".  Both of these are extremely high titles of nobility - I am pretty sure you know that a duke is the highest ranking vassal of a king, and that daimyo, literally "great landowners", were the next in power to the shogun himself.  Why not use a word for great champion instead?  Великие князья vs bогатыри - which ones do you think would be more appropriate in the context.  I mean, even writing the former as a plural feels awkward.
Well, Russian wiki defines the samurai as "elite of the Japanese society" and daimyo as "elite amongst the samurai". That suffices for me.
The first noble tier is kamikaze (Zann "samurai") and then they become the best of kamikaze - daimyo.
Also, fortunately, I work on a non-historical mod where titles don't have to match those of the real world. I could name a second-tier Tolranian peasant "general" and say "it's just how they define 'general' in Tolrania". It's like first floor / ground floor. Same language, different cultures, different definitions. Or take any of "translator's false friends". A British native speaker who'd arrive at Russia would be surprised to learn that a word that sounds like "ass" suddenly means "a top-class pilot", but he'd have to deal with it.  :smile:

Leonion said:
Tuidjy said:
daimyo, literally "great landowners", were the next in power to the shogun himself.  Why not use a word for great champion instead?  Великие князья vs bогатыри - which ones do you think would be more appropriate in the context?
Well, Russian wiki defines the samurai as "elite of the Japanese society" and daimyo as "elite amongst the samurai". That suffices for me.
Hmm.  My Russian must be worse than I thought.

Самурай (яп. 侍, по-японски также используется слово «буси» (武士)) — в феодальной Японии — светские феодалы, начиная от крупных владетельных князей (даймё) и заканчивая мелкими дворянами; в узком и наиболее часто употребляемом значении — военно-феодальное сословие мелких дворян.

As far as I am concerned, the definition is absolutely correct.  The way I understand the Wiki entry, samurai are feudal lords who do not derive their power from religion, i.e. noblemen.  It also says that those noblemen range from the highest landowning princes (daimyo) to the barely landed noblemen.  Then it goes to say that in the most common usage, samurai describe the military caste of minor nobility. 

If you merge the two usages, and squint a bit, you can claim that the text means that the greatest warriors are the daimyo.  It's about as defensible as having modern British Special Air Service be exclusively composed of the members of the House of Lords (average age 69, mostly millionaires, 14 richer than the Queen)

The first noble tier is kamikaze (Zann "samurai") and then they become the best of kamikaze - daimyo.
Also, fortunately, I work on a non-historical mod where titles don't have to match those of the real world. I could name a second-tier Tolranian peasant "general" and say "it's just how they define 'general' in Tolrania". It's like first floor / ground floor. Same language, different cultures, different definitions.

Kamikaze is a great example of what you are saying. In our universe, it has taken the meaning of suicidal warrior, but the original meaning is "divine wind [of destruction]".  Awesome name for shock infantry - pure genius.

But 'general' for peasant, and "great landowner" for samurai shock infantry?  Meh.  I guess it's like calling a composite recurve a flatbow, or a small sword a rapier.  And that discussion we already had, and I lost.

A British native speaker who'd arrive at Russia would be surprised to learn that a word that sounds like "ass" suddenly means "a top-class pilot", but he'd have to deal with it.  :smile:
Neither English nor Russian is a native language for me, but I would have just said "So, Russians pronounce the A in 'ace' as the A in 'ass'... like pretty much everyone else in the world.

Tuidjy said:
Самурай
Not this article. That article:
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%94%D0%B0%D0%B9%D0%BC%D1%91
Если считать, что класс самураев был элитой японского общества X—XIX веков, то даймё — это элита среди самураев.

Tuidjy said:
I would have just said "So, Russians pronounce the A in 'ace' as the A in 'ass'... like pretty much everyone else in the world.
:neutral:
Your logic is unclear.
"Ас" (eng. "ace") is pronounced as "ass" with British accent (British "a", not American "a").
"Ace" sounds completely differently from it.

Leonion said:
Tuidjy said:
Самурай
Not this article. That article:
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%94%D0%B0%D0%B9%D0%BC%D1%91
Если считать, что класс самураев был элитой японского общества X—XIX веков, то даймё — это элита среди самураев.
I had not checked this one, but specifically in this sentence, samurai and daimyō are discussed in the sense of nobility, not warriors.  The sentence you quoted talks about Japanese society, not the Japanese warhosts.  Daimyō is a more of a Great Lord (великий князь) than a Great Warrior (могучий богатырь).  You have your 'false friends' argument, but to anyone even mildly familiar with the actual words, a formation of daimyō makes little sense.

Tuidjy said:
I would have just said "So, Russians pronounce the A in 'ace' as the A in 'ass'... like pretty much everyone else in the world.
:neutral:
Your logic is unclear.
"Ас" (eng. "ace") is pronounced as "ass" with British accent (British "a", not American "a").
"Ace" sounds completely differently from it.
Well, any Brit I know elongates the A in 'ass' further than any Russian I know elongates the а in 'ас'. 

But that is not what I meant at all.  I meant that many people would recognize, in context, the Russian 'ас' as the English word 'ace' (туз) with the Latin letter 'A' pronounced the way most of the world usually pronounces it, as opposed to the eɪ compound sound Anglophones sometimes end up with when they encounter 'a' in a word. 

At, car, ate, flare - the 'a' is pronounced in completely different ways in English, so Anglophones are used to variation.

By the way, I am so tired of switching between Latin, Cyrillic and IPA that you would not believe it.  My Cyrillic keyboard settings are not even Russian, so ы and ь are a total pain in the жопа. 

Tuidjy said:
I had not checked this one, but specifically in this sentence, samurai and daimyō are discussed in the sense of nobility, not warriors.  The sentence you quoted talks about Japanese society, not the Japanese warhosts.  Daimyō is a more of a Great Lord (великий князь) than a Great Warrior (могучий богатырь).  You have your 'false friends' argument, but to anyone even mildly familiar with the actual words, a formation of daimyō makes little sense.
Whatever.
:razz:

And, believe me, I wouldn't hesitate to call a troop "великий князь" if I felt like it.
I'm not a fan of history and I encourage non-stereotypical thinking.

Leonion said:
Tuidjy said:
Whatever.
:razz:

And, believe me, I wouldn't hesitate to call a troop "великий князь" if I felt like it.
I'm not a fan of history and I encourage non-stereotypical thinking.

Knights of the Order of the Dirty Linens. Cretesan Noble Field-hands.

I think you have to talk to someone and pay for them, but dont quote me on that as i havent played pnb in a long time

Brum Eldar said:
Amazing work man i love it, i have one question how i can bring back lords from the mainland  :fruity:?
Thanks.  :smile:
Discuss "important matters" with your local commander. It's one of the options in that dialogue branch.

Hey Leonion, remember when we talked on Discord about a bug that would occur on PNB that would make that banners wouldn't appear in battles and swap the banner of your spawn with a random building?

Well, apparently I paid attention to when it happends, although it was at a random time, when this occured, it was around day 130 and I was chasing a lord of Aroulo.

Sem-t-tulo.png

a.png

Dunno if this is the correct place to put this, but since I fail to see a bug report thread for PNB specifically, I thought I would place this here in case you ever decide to check this out (even though I know you're probably busy).

When did your banner disappear?
In "take an action" in camp there is an option (available when cheatmenu is enabled) to change your banner. Pick the banner again.

Well that fixed the issue.

I guess that's also the reason why there is an option of "reset banners" in the cheat menu?

Also as I mentioned, day 130 as falconians, decided to harass the Aroulo a bit, ran into a provisioner party, with a lord in sight (but not within helping range of the provisioner party). Took out the provisioners and as soon as it returned to the world map and I clicked to move, the error appeared.

I always found this bug to be confusing. It can happen so randomly much as the first time I experienced this it was literally

Game start - Talk to Aracanus - Tell him to follow me - Siege farm 33 - First battle after the siege agaisnt a regular band of robbers, the bug has occured.

h-404.jpg
i.e. a way to make a party permanently visible (until it's destroyed).
U - [weekly] upkeep.
For allies the price&upkeep are smaller.

UPD.: The full version on Nexus was updated...
The changes are few and the new version is not compatible with older saves.
Changes:
- the aforementioned feature;
- asset changes that you've seen in Perisno 0.9 (such as replaced RoTF armor);
- full system of craftable items (body armor, helmets, boots, gloves, shields) was added;
- infantry speed was buffed;
- some other minor changes.

How long would a normal playthrough of TNB last?
I always wanted to give it a try but for some reason the main Perisno dragged my attention away all the time.

Plasquar said:
How long would a normal playthrough of TNB last?
I always wanted to give it a try but for some reason the main Perisno dragged my attention away all the time.

I've always had trouble with it since the player has high stats starting, but remains at level 1. You'll need a good companion to train any troops you recruit, so the merchant start seems to be the best. It's all sieges though, with optional alliances from the pregame options, so you can only recruit lords form the mainland.

I'd say it would take half the time of a normal playthrough.

Back
Top Bottom