Performance Issues and their Possible Causes

Users who are viewing this thread

DerHerbst

Knight
First off let me say that I am extremely grateful for everything the Brytenwalda team has done to make this amazing mod.  I can't really express how awesome this mod really is and how lucky we all are to have such a great mod covering such a fascinating and alluring period of history.  I can't wait for 1.39!

While waiting for 1.39 to come out I've started playing the SVN version of 1257AD.  I think that 1257 and Brytenwalda are very comparable graphics-wise.  Both mods have rich item textures, lush environmental graphics, and a staggering array of items/soldier types.  However, despite the graphics being so close to each other, I am able to play 1257AD without any of the performance problems I encounter with Brytenwalda.

For instance (at near highest graphics settings), in Brytenwalda it takes a few minutes for a battle to load and there is considerable lag when playing with battle sizer at 120.  1257 however, loads up battles almost instantly and there is no lag.  In Brytenwalda, when a reinforcement wave enters the battle my game usually freezes for like 10 seconds before returning to normal.  In 1257 I don't encounter any delay whatsoever when reinforcements appear.  I could give more examples but I think everyone gets the point.

I am curious why, considering that both mods are very graphic-intense, why 1257 is so much faster?  I don't really know what could cause such a great difference in performance when both mods appear to be so similar in their graphic quality.  Does anyone have any idea what might be causing such a drastic difference? 

I'm curious to know if Brytenwalda could be privately edited to make it faster?  Maybe there's some difference in how the textures are formatted or something?  I have no idea really but if that's possible any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!  Can't wait for 1.39!

important post i´d say.
maybe if all is finally done (means all bug-, features-, gameplay-, layout chapters are closed in v1.39) - the dev team should focus on these kind of issues for version 1.4.

thanx.

I think that its not the graphics fault but rather the fact that combat system was altered(formations, additional orders, AI behaviour). The same thing is happening in PoP, and that mods graphics were not even changed.

Hmmm...I think that 1257 also changed AI behaviour/formations etc too.  It certainly seems that way from playing a few dozen battles.  I don't know very much about modding but I have a feeling that the large performance issues have more to do with some underlying general difference between the two mods.  But I really have no idea...

I do agree with Thorgil that this is an issue best left for after Brytenwalda is finished...

Well, Brytenwalda have a lot of new detail scenes (more than 100 maybe, Adorno know it).
These scenes height 3 or 4 times more that native scenes, for that brytenwalda need more pc. But travel to VII century without these scenes isnt possible, by that we did recomendation use strong PC with Brytenwalda.

Too, Brytenwalda have near 1000 new items (differents to native items), when you enter to a battle , it need load all items troops use in that battle (when a item is very detail -we have try add quality items- it has more Vertices and Polgons), and by that game late more in load.

If you use graphic pack, you will get improve quality textures that need more memory for run.

All this mean less performance that olds PCs, but if we delete it, Brytenwalda wont be Brytenwalda.

Adorno, can you post your PC features?
Adorno`s PC is strong, and he run fine alls battles. Maybe it can help us to know that PC we need for play righly Brytenwalda.

However, if somebody know like improve performance, suggestions and ideas are welcome.

"Too, Brytenwalda have near 1000 new items (differents to native items), when you enter to a battle , it need load all items troops use in that battle (when a item is very detail -we have try add quality items- it has more Vertices and Polgons), and by that game late more in load."

Ah that makes a lot of sense Idibil.  I had a feeling the items/textures were largely responsible.  Hopefully I'll be getting some new computer parts for Christmas so I can enjoy 1.39/1.40 in stunning graphical detail!

Idibil said:
Adorno`s PC is strong, and he run fine alls battles. Maybe it can help us to know that PC we need for play righly Brytenwalda.

would be interesting!

Thorgil said:
Idibil said:

would be interesting!

You just need a good video card and at list 6gigs of ram that will all be used , if your cpu is old get i7 on top of other stuff I mentioned . My computer is 3 years old and it plays Brytenwalda well on the highest settings

Seems like a good thread to mention, get an I7-2600k 8 gigs of ram and a decent (80-100euroish) graphics card, and you can run the battlesize at maximium graphics with 600 soldiers, its like a dream its how war is ment to be played. The only downside is your 100 man party cant defend a castle or town against 500 men as well as a 40 man party against a 60 man party, sometimes i really miss those reinforcement waves.

This setup replaced my old althon duel core 4600 with 2 gigs of ram, and that could run bretywelda okay (medium settings about 80% detail) using game booster and 100 battlesize, as long as I turned off the bloody shadows, shadows seem to eat performance.

Vikinger said:
Seems like a good thread to mention, get an I7-2600k 8 gigs of ram and a decent (80-100euroish) graphics card, and you can run the battlesize at maximium graphics with 600 soldiers, its like a dream its how war is ment to be played. The only downside is your 100 man party cant defend a castle or town against 500 men as well as a 40 man party against a 60 man party, sometimes i really miss those reinforcement waves.

This setup replaced my old althon duel core 4600 with 2 gigs of ram, and that could run bretywelda okay (medium settings about 80% detail) using game booster and 100 battlesize, as long as I turned off the bloody shadows, shadows seem to eat performance.

Screenshots or a video of that battle?  :grin:

Yes I would really like to see such a video!

My old PC can't run Brytenwalda the way I would like it to be.

I just recently updated my hardware to win7/i2400/4g/560ti and ssd and I must say I cannot imagine anything loading up faster than BW. I have just the initial game loading screen for about 10 sec and cant measure any other loading throughout the game. Just out of curiousity, could it be disk fragmentation or hdd speed that speed things up !?

Well did a battle quickly then had to wait 30 minutes for youtube to upload 30 seconds worth of video.... and now it looks like i was doing a night battle.... but anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1nQjquVem8&feature=youtu.be

wanted to post 2 or 3 but at 30minutes a video upload it seems a bit silly. Dunno if anyone has a better hosting option and a better video capture program wouldnt go amiss it recorded with the framerate showing the in the corner but when you watch the video its gone, the lowest framerate i got was 28 and the normal was about 50.

My pc

I5-2500K
4GB RAM
HD5850...

Grafics I have in high, the battle size a 250, but I in una battle with... uhm... 120, the FPS down a 10... It is normal?

Hister said:
Hmm, your framerate seems to be below 25 since the smoothnes is not there at all.

Its this video capture crap, do you know of a better one? Ive seen some nice looking movie style uploads but I dont know how to do that.

Will make a video with the framerate counter from M&B turned on now.

Vikinger said:
Well did a battle quickly then had to wait 30 minutes for youtube to upload 30 seconds worth of video.... and now it looks like i was doing a night battle.... but anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1nQjquVem8&feature=youtu.be

wanted to post 2 or 3 but at 30minutes a video upload it seems a bit silly. Dunno if anyone has a better hosting option and a better video capture program wouldnt go amiss it recorded with the framerate showing the in the corner but when you watch the video its gone, the lowest framerate i got was 28 and the normal was about 50.

Nice!

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom