Percentage values next to dialogue options

Users who are viewing this thread

vito397

Sergeant Knight
Am I the only one who finds these percentages displayed to be EXTREMELY unimmersive? Weather it's courting, convincing lords or quest dialogue, I always find it extremely stupid that we don't even read what the dialogue says. We don't judge our words based on the traits of the person we're speaking with, we're simply basing it off the highest percentage. Ill give you two comparisons, in courting, WB to BL.

WB: You go to a lady and profess your admiration. You recite her an epic poem you learned, and she likes it because it's a classic (without percentages, maybe she didn't like the other poems). You go spend more time with her and you find out someone else is courting her. You try to push if she will say who it is (no percentages), she doesn't want to but blurts it out reluctantly. You say you will duel him and she doesn't like that (who would pick this if they knew the relationship will drop by percentage?). You go duel the lord and lose. She doesn't like that and requests you stop seeing her. You CAN choose to pursue the courting, which she will not like even more, but you do anyway, and you lose relationship because you were not TOLD it will be so. You go court another lady because maybe you'll have better luck.

BL: You go court a lady. She asks you career questions. Pick the highest percentages because dialogue doesn't matter. She answers "I see.". You visit her again. She asks you questions again, you again pick the highest percentages. You're done, you're getting married.

I hope I'm note alone in this. It completely removes any kind of player or NPC agency. People are picking options that are not line with their character traits simply because the game tells them thats the correct answer. And thats not how it should work, especially in a sandbox rpg.

They're also bull**** and not you actual chance of succeeding. As players find out, you can often be stuck on a 60% chance over and over and over when re-loading because it's already decided. By re-loading, moving on map and saving again, you can change the actual chance. This of course works with small chances too.

I don't think there should be any % for most of the stuff anyways, NPCs should be willing to accept or refuse options based on actual conditions, relations and "other". Maybe in a few certain situations or certain character trait npc could have a %chance to denote recklessness, but in general it should be transparent and due to causes that can be interreacted with.

Want to marry woman? relation must be _______ high, father must approve approve (do certain quest), rival suiter must be delt with (do a quest), clan leader must be appeased by quest or bribe or high enough renown (something could be multiple way to solve)

Am I the only one who finds these percentages displayed to be EXTREMELY unimmersive?
You are right!
I admit I don't really read the answers and just go with percentages...so, it does remove a lot of immersion out of the game conversation.
Plus, the perks/skills or whatever they are (charm, cunning...etc) I don't really know how they work or how they affect the MC (so if anyone knows how those work, please explain).

Am I the only one who finds these percentages displayed to be EXTREMELY unimmersive? Weather it's courting, convincing lords or quest dialogue, I always find it extremely stupid that we don't even read what the dialogue says.
The dialogues are also pretty uninspired themselves, too, so even without the %s it's hard to tell which are related to what attributes. At least that could give a hint to the player on what you're trying to appeal, but nah.

Courting in Warband was pretty cool because the whole thing about learning poems, talking to people to learn what your lady is like and what she likes, dedicating tournament victories to her, and dueling other lords for her was all pretty immersive and sweet. Sucks it got dumbed down so much, and frankly I don't see them changing this whole mechanic at this point.

So as usual, hopefuly when the game is released, if modders still have any interest in the game, they can mod in the features from Warband that are missing.

Am I the only one who finds these percentages displayed to be EXTREMELY unimmersive? Weather it's courting, convincing lords or quest dialogue, I always find it extremely stupid that we don't even read what the dialogue says. We don't judge our words based on the traits of the person we're speaking with, we're simply basing it off the highest percentage.
Well it's an RPG (sort of) with a speech skill. I mean they could hide the %, but quite frankly even for the sake of immersion I think that's silly. Yeah more naturalistic dialogue/reactions would be nice... but it's not going to happen. Hopefully this is more placeholder dialogue ATM, but I grow less sure of that every day. It really is sad how Warband is so much more developed as an RPG, then Bannerlord is.

Do yourself favor and just go buy your spouses from their Daddy.

My hope is that TW will lean into things being more Trait based, at least there's some thought process/planning with that and not just picking the option with the best % due to your Charm skill. Truthfully all NPC interactions need to be greatly expanded upon a.k.a. developed. The fact we're two years in EA just about and dialogue in the game has hardly improved is real cause for concern. Especially all the typos and many, MANY grammar errors.

They're also bull**** and not you actual chance of succeeding. As players find out, you can often be stuck on a 60% chance over and over and over when re-loading because it's already decided. By re-loading, moving on map and saving again, you can change the actual chance. This of course works with small chances too.

FRK6mv.gif

Yeah this is is what irks me most. Chances are all pre-determined, which is really stupid. Should be an active "dice roll" every time, don't get much more RP then that. But nope in Bannerlord you must reload every damn time to change your chance, it's so dumb you can literally waltz your way through a bunch of 10-20% Dialogue Checks, but sometimes you'll have 80-90% Checks and still fail constantly.

Warband felt like all the ladies had its own personalities, which was great! Bannerlord does have a personality trait, but it doesn't really feel like it...

Warband had better courting, but bannerlord feels more like a job interview lol

Sometimes I feel that even warband may be a little ****ty, but it seemed great beacuse there was nothing like it...
But I do think some things like rping was a lot better than what we get in BL

Warband felt like all the ladies had its own personalities, which was great! Bannerlord does have a personality trait, but it doesn't really feel like it...

Warband had better courting, but bannerlord feels more like a job interview lol
Bannerlord courting system feels like such a huge step back from even the barebones system that was in Warband. It's so low effort and honestly I can't imagine that replicating what we had in Warband with a few extra features would've been that hard. To me stuff like this confirms that either Taleworlds doesn't give a **** about their audience or they have no idea of how to make an rpg or both, probably both.

Bannerlord courting system feels like such a huge step back from even the barebones system that was in Warband. It's so low effort and honestly I can't imagine that replicating what we had in Warband with a few extra features would've been that hard. To me stuff like this confirms that either Taleworlds doesn't give a **** about their audience or they have no idea of how to make an rpg or both, probably both.
They just want to focus on combat, which isn't even all that great in the first place. Every other aspect of the game outside of combat is extremely dull or outright broken. Economy? Broken. Smithing? Terribly designed. Roleplaying? Minimal. Diplomacy? Barely any. Play style options? Just fight everything.

But at least the combat is good right? RIGHT!?

Bannerlord should of used most of warband features but expanding it more
They just want to focus on combat, which isn't even all that great in the first place. Every other aspect of the game outside of combat is extremely dull or outright broken. Economy? Broken. Smithing? Terribly designed. Roleplaying? Minimal. Diplomacy? Barely any. Play style options? Just fight everything.

But at least the combat is good right? RIGHT!?
I guess focusing on battles, but that seems very hard to do for them, diplomacy, smithing etc. Seems to be easiest thing to make it better but idk, combat is very much different to Warband but feels more clunky at times

Back
Top Bottom