Peacetime needs to be a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Even with the fixes, almost every kindgom starts the game at war, and then stays at war pretty much until they get wiped out. This really needs to change. Not just because it feeds the snowballing and increases the pace massively, but also because Lords and Kingdoms need time to rebuild their armies and garrisons, and they just can't do that if they're in 2+ wars at all times. As it stands, all the Lords end up with 70% peasant armies and all the castles have bare-bones garrisons (also mostly peasants) after just a few years in-game.

For peacetime to be a thing, though, there needs to be stuff for Lords to do at peace, so here are a few ideas:
-Tournaments
-Feasts
-Grand Tournaments (Big tournament like a feast where all the Lords show up with much bigger prizes and influence rewards)
-Recruitment
-Bandit/Rebel Hunting (to train troops)
-Building Garrisons
-Developing Fiefs

Just a few things. I think this would make wars a lot more fun and impactful when both sides are going into it with full garrisons and armies, while also slowing the overall pace of conquest to help support the intended timeframe of the game instead of having everything be effectively over by 1088 every time.

Even with the fixes, almost every kindgom starts the game at war, and then stays at war pretty much until they get wiped out. This really needs to change. Not just because it feeds the snowballing and increases the pace massively, but also because Lords and Kingdoms need time to rebuild their armies and garrisons, and they just can't do that if they're in 2+ wars at all times. As it stands, all the Lords end up with 70% peasant armies and all the castles have bare-bones garrisons (also mostly peasants) after just a few years in-game.

For peacetime to be a thing, though, there needs to be stuff for Lords to do at peace, so here are a few ideas:
-Tournaments
-Feasts
-Grand Tournaments (Big tournament like a feast where all the Lords show up with much bigger prizes and influence rewards)
-Recruitment
-Building Garrisons
-Developing Fiefs

Just a few things. I think this would make wars a lot more fun and impactful when both sides are going into it with full garrisons and armies, while also slowing the overall pace of conquest to help support the intended timeframe of the game instead of having everything be effectively over by 1088 every time.

+ 1000

I'm thinking (hoping) it's because TaleWorlds wants total chaos in the world for testing purposes, while balancing up the game world to make sure the war simulation of the game is stable no matter what happens. Because this cannot be the final diplomacy simulation they are going for. I am sorry to say but I think it is horrible right now, it seems totally random, like every kingdom just randomly attacks one kingdom at a time without regards to anything whatsoever. Then whenever enough time has passed, peace occurs and they immediatly move on to the next war. It doesn't matter if they have one clan left and no territory, they still go into war with the biggest kingdom located at the opposite side of the map for no apparent reason. Maybe the diplomacy was something that TaleWorlds regarded as unimportant, something to be put to the side while focusing on more important aspects of the game, like ... eh, actually I'm not too sure what took so much time anymore.. No they must have deactivated the real diplomacy while testing other things.. This cannot be the result of their real diplomacy algorithm. It cannot be... :cry:

Temp Fix, not a perfect fix but it does keep wars to a temporary status.

Support. It would really be nice to just have time to relax and take care of your settlements, troops and relations with other lords!

I'm thinking (hoping) it's because TaleWorlds wants total chaos in the world for testing purposes, while balancing up the game world to make sure the war simulation of the game is stable no matter what happens. Because this cannot be the final diplomacy simulation they are going for. I am sorry to say but I think it is horrible right now, it seems totally random, like every kingdom just randomly attacks one kingdom at a time without regards to anything whatsoever. Then whenever enough time has passed, peace occurs and they immediatly move on to the next war. It doesn't matter if they have one clan left and no territory, they still go into war with the biggest kingdom located at the opposite side of the map for no apparent reason. Maybe the diplomacy was something that TaleWorlds regarded as unimportant, something to be put to the side while focusing on more important aspects of the game, like ... eh, actually I'm not too sure what took so much time anymore.. No they must have deactivated the real diplomacy while testing other things.. This cannot be the result of their real diplomacy algorithm. It cannot be... :cry:

I'm hopeful this is the case. It's got to be expected that if the game time is supposed to span generations, the whole campaign can't be done and dusted in a few years. I know the talk of Civil Wars and Rebellions, that are yet to be incorporated, will keep things engaging and maybe indeed be intended for late-game, so even if one kingdom dominates the map after a few years, there's always going to be something going on somewhere. But then that falls back into the sense of perpetual war.

I'd far rather support longer periods of peace - to add to the mod's idea of war attrition - maybe a war weariness to slow the rate in which war happens to begin with? Certainly an emphasis on consolidation would ease the pace too.

I like the feature that in the Kingdom menu lists the casualties sustained by each side (albeit in a befuddled way at the precise moment) but perhaps that can influence the kingdoms even beyond the current war? I suppose that's factored somewhat into the Kingdom's strength factor. But to that, I'd like to think that a Kingdom would view its strength, certainly in relation to other Kingdoms', and have that dictate its foreign policy. But of course, a strong kingdom picking a fight with a weak one I guess has to be expected. In my current playthrough, we Battanians, having taken over most of the Western Empire, are now gradually eating up Sturgia as well - but the only reason I can think of why is because "why not?"

But there's obviously a lot still to fix up, which brings me back to the hopeful support of the message above, and that of the OP.

Regarding the casualties on the kingdom screen, I think it might be misleading and that it's actually reversed. Like, it should be "casualties suffered" instead, or the bars should be swapped.

Like, I win the first engagement of a war with minimal losses and the "casualties inflicted" for the enemy shoots up, making it look like they're actually winning.

Also agree that factions really need to pick wars better when they do go to war. I keep having Vlandia and Khuzait going to war even though they're on completely opposite sides of the map. Same goes for Sturgia and Aserai. Gets even weirder when they actually attack and win, like one game where most of the map was stable except for Aserai owning Revyl, lol.

-Tournaments
-Feasts
-Recruitment
-Building Garrisons
-Developing Fiefs

This ^

+1 from me too.

In my game I sided with Battania, and their King conquered one of the Aserai' main cities and we're at war with them obviously. Problem is, all Battanian armies are trying to conquer Aserai castles, while at the heart of the Battanian territory, there is no army whatsoever, and looters/bandits are crawling everywhere! It's a bit crazy.

I also think we need more leaders trying to keep vessels happy. Right not they can keep all the keeps if they form an army and then they don't even need vessels. They have to spend downtime making them happy and loyal. They also have to have limits on the number of settlements they can control themselves.

+1

There's simply too many long lasting wars, and factions are getting wiped off the map as a result. No city state, kingdom, or empire would be able to endure these kind of brutal campaigns in reality, not without their societies collapsing under the strain of it.

Back
Top Bottom