Need More Info (PC Crash/Shutdown) Bannerlord is causing my new gaming PC to reboot mid-game! Very alarming! (2080ti, 9700k)

Users who are viewing this thread

Edit: My temps are perfectly fine in Bannerlord and stress tests!
This has been ongoing since patch 1.0.4 or 1.0.5 I think?
Anyway, it's worrying me. I can play the game for about an hour or two, maybe three- then my entire computer reboots.
This happens during scene changes.
I've been running a monitor to gauge the CPU + GPU + RAM usage while in-game.
I notice that when during scene changes that my CPU will jump from 30-40ish CPU usage all the way to 100% CPU usage then back down once the scene has loaded.

I have tried using BES to clamp the CPU.
I have tried two memory saving softwares in order to hopefully handle memory leaks.
I've done countless of stress tests and everything is functioning fine.
All other games work beautifully on this brand new machine.
I had a computer technician look at all of my files/hardware/stress tests/cable setup inside PC, after an hour and a half, he was stumped. (That wasn't free)
I've reinstalled the game, I've verified integrity... I've done everything I could.

EDIT::: Okay so I have a "PB 750watt inWin" https://www.in-win.com/en/gaming-power-supply/pb-750w/ --- Just checked inside the computer, hope that helps.

This is alarming. Also, a quick view of this specific forum and you'll find a lot of people are sharing my issue.
Would be amazing if this serious issue could be addressed.

Huge thanks for the game guys, I realize it's early access but this is pretty freaky to have your computer reboot just because you entered into a Town, battle, or dialogue sequence.

If you are experiencing similar/identical issues as I and others have stated in this thread, please post your specs and any information you can for the devs to read. Hopefully they will be able to find what is causing this dangerous situation.

Last edited:
What's your PSU like? enough whattage? (Your settup needs atleast 650 watt or more) And how much ram do you have? (in its current state bannerlord requires 16gb) Sick pc btw!

16gb of DDR4 RAM, usage rate in Bannnerlord is 60% during battles.
My PSU is fine and was examined by a professional 3 days ago, definitely has more than 650watts.

I'm open to it being an issue on my end, but from what I can see many others are experiencing my issue.

Last edited:
Professionals can be mistaken too, I have worked with a lot of hardware and man have I been wrong before. You can check the wattage on the back of the pc where the power cable goes in, just to make sure.

But yea more ppl are reporting crashes, I used to crash a lot too but bought a new PSU which fixed my problem. (note I'm still crashing, but no bsod or hard pc crashes. Just software crashes)

Hopefully it will be fixed sooner rather then later, you can check you systems reliability viewer and check on the hard shutdowns, it could give insight into what is causing the crash (example kernel power 41 is something with power draw or PSU)

You're not wrong about the pro's being wrong! And thank you for the response. I'll check to see exactly what my wattage is at.
How do I check my systems reliability viewer to check on hard shutdowns?

Sorry for your inconvenience. I suggest you to check the temperature and watt usage of your PC while the game is on. If you see, high temperatures or very high watt usages, I suggest you to first check those issues before opening the game to prevent hardware failures. Thanks for you feedback. Hope you can start having a nice gameplay experience as soon as possible.

Sorry for your inconvenience. I suggest you to check the temperature and watt usage of your PC while the game is on. If you see, high temperatures or very high watt usages, I suggest you to first check those issues before opening the game to prevent hardware failures. Thanks for you feedback. Hope you can start having a nice gameplay experience as soon as possible.

Thank you for the response! So I have actualy ran the game with a CPU/GPU/RAM monitor and the temps were great the entire time. However, my CPU Usage % would skyrocket to 100% usage rate when I was changing scenes (Entering a town, entering a dialogue, entering a battle) then CPU would immediately go back to 30-40% usage.

Enter dialogue/battle/new scene = 100% CPU usage for 1-3 seconds.

This is also when the PC reboot occurs, for myself and several others (Their threads are littered on this forum)

It's not the PC or heating issue it's definitely the game software. I play many games and never get my PC crashing and restarting on it's own. Bugs are one thing but I've never had a game force my PC to restart. Wish this would get fixed but it's going to be impossible when the developer thinks it's a PC issue and not the game software.

Yes, many of us are experiencing this. My friend from Stockholm just got the game today and has had 2 PC reboots while only hours into his first play through, also just bought his PC. I really hope they take us seriously before damage is done to a bunch of people's PCs.

If my PC's PSU and CPU were faulty, there would be no way I'd be able to have 200+ hours on Red Dead Redemption, playing in 2K @ 60 FPS...

Interesting to see that your super powerful PC is struggling. My old GTX 970 is running it fine with barely any software crashes and no hardware crashes. Try testing your RAM sticks individually, take one out, play the game for a few hours on just one stick. Then swap it with the other one. If it crashes with one stick and not the other, then its gotta be a RAM issue.

Other games may have different performance characteristics than ours. Coupled with the current performance issues, Bannerlord may have been using more resources than it should. Besides performance issues that we are working to fix, fast scene loading highly uses both CPU and hard drive to provide a fast gameplay while ensuring the quality of the battle and town scenes. Big battles with thousands of agents needs to have an increased CPU utilization to enable those numbers.
I am not denying the possibility of a bug about the game. If you are sure that your system is fine in those regards, we can eliminate those possibilities. If you are saying that the issue started with 1.0.4, I will specially check the changes there. Thanks for your feedback.

Other games may have different performance characteristics than ours. Coupled with the current performance issues, Bannerlord may have been using more resources than it should. Besides performance issues that we are working to fix, fast scene loading highly uses both CPU and hard drive to provide a fast gameplay while ensuring the quality of the battle and town scenes. Big battles with thousands of agents needs to have an increased CPU utilization to enable those numbers.
I am not denying the possibility of a bug about the game. If you are sure that your system is fine in those regards, we can eliminate those possibilities. If you are saying that the issue started with 1.0.4, I will specially check the changes there. Thanks for your feedback.

Again I deeply appreciate the response. After running Prime95 stress test and finding that my PC is running very smoothly on all levels, I am convinced that it is an issue on Bannerlord's end. I remember the update, as it was the one before the Aserai troop fix. I started my game over, and since then I've been suffering from these reboots... I am fairly confident that 1.0.4 was when my issues started happening.

If you require any information from me, I'll do my very best to help. I know many others on this forum thread are also having my same issue. I have lowered my resolution, lowered battles down to 250, turned a lot of visuals down (Especially Audio to Low) and nothing seems to change the PC crash.

That should be more then enough!

I was very specific with the computer professional who looked at my PC as well about the PSU... Because I had read in the forums that someone was having my issues but he needed to plug in his PSU all the way and it fixed it for him.
The technician ran tests with me and made sure every single cable was secure. I kind of annoyed him, but this is Bannerlord bro!

And it says "Windows did not properly shut down" with no real other information.

And thank you very much by the way for going out of your way to help me out. I'm also hoping that seeing the dev's response to my thread might give others hope for a fix in the near future.
Now that's super interesting it is caused by bannerlords and its based around the clr.dll

This is my crash (do note its not a bsod):
Description
Faulting Application Path: E:\Steam Library\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client\TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5e8e07bc
Fault Module Name: clr.dll
Fault Module Version: 4.8.4150.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 5e176fc2
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000061594
OS Version: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 8192
Additional Information 1: 3cae
Additional Information 2: 3caebc37569153b714f44930d36d9727
Additional Information 3: 3ab1
Additional Information 4: 3ab1b9adbf7a4985e8a760b7d6819643

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 497ff58f6972e0421def6cdd3f4d69ab (2157062444039367083)

What this tells me is that there is something within that dll thats causing either a system violation in memory or a null reference error. I can guarantee you that this is related to the game and not your hardware (which we assumed anyway but this does clear it up).

Back
Top Bottom