Patch Notes e1.5.9

Users who are viewing this thread

When I hear a software engineer say that they are making a change to see if it fixes a problem, that usually means they don't understand the problem and there is a good chance that they're making things worse.
It happens when you can't reproduce a problem, so you also can't verify it has been fixed. Experience helps with guessing what is the possible cause.
So, this means that inexperienced people are working on these crashes.

I had a similar problem for 1.5.8 my virus checker was preventing one file downloading. I disabled the virus checker and it worked. Maybe worth a try.
Now that you mention it, I did see my virus scanner throwing a fit. But shortly afterwards he also said notthing was going on and that a file dident contain any problems :unsure:

Il take a look if the problem lies there

It happens when you can't reproduce a problem, so you also can't verify it has been fixed. Experience helps with guessing what is the possible cause.

This is a fair statement in some cases. You should do everything you can to set up the conditions required to reproduce the problem. Sometimes this is not possible but many times it is and the SW person doesn't for any number of reasons. Bad habits, lack of discipline, laziness, inexperience.

So, adding to what you have said, experience helps guess the cause but it also teaches you that you must only guess at the cause as a last resort.

Why are sharpshooter crossbowmen with strong bolts in multiplayer not even able to 1shot a medium-armored cavalry charging straight at them anymore? Is this some sort of idea of balance? Fine. Then, when do two-handers and cavalry get their respective nerfs to not be able to one-shot anyone anymore? Or are those issues ignored because people like playing two-handers and cav? Two-handers have plagued the battlefield for ages now, cavalry have the most unnatural horses in the history of games, they just - on command, have ridiculous movements like they're not even animals... and no fear, nothing detters them. I love crossbow, and I love throwing weapons. Both have now been butchered. Crouch as a crossbowman? Hell no, fix that right up, that surely was a bug - insta-fix. People somehow being able to kick-slash insta-kill someone with a heavy-looking menavlion? That's fine, not a bug. Cavalry running around with lances one-shotting everyone? Sure! Two-handers running backwards while people with short weapons can't reach them and they turn around, jump around, and kill them? Ah yes, reasonable... I too remember the historically accurate naked legendary ballerina two-hander swordsmen, totally not vulnerable to throwing weapons and archery (because they could just serpentine really fast!), great... This has been the meta throughout the whole of early access and it seems that it's here to stay, there will be no moment when two-handed weapons will not one-shot someone, while other gameplay styles get unconsiderably and nonsensically nerfed. Again, how does a javelin go through someone's body/or head, and not kill them? I wish that if TW actually wanted to balance the game as to not allow one-shots, they would go all out with this idea - and balanced weapon damage in ways that nobody gets one-shotted for 1 mistake - by glaives, menavlions and other two-handers. A two-hander can make 3 or 4 mistakes vs a 1hander with a crappy sword, because it takes 4 shots to kill him. Now two-handers just run around one-shotting both infantry and ranged, so what is their purpose?

Solution: Just give them all crush-through (only vs shields) as a way to counter shielded units, and make them slower as to actually be vulnerable to ranged fire AND provide reasonable duels against characters with 1handed (no-shield), making them not multi-purposed godlike beings like this. WHY does a two-hander run faster than a 1-hander with no shield? Ah because TW gave certain units more movement speed, makes sense....
Do it like this instead: Shields counter ranged, two-hander counters shields, ranged counters two-handed. Can't we just have this beautiful rock-paper-scissor balance, already? Also cav acts so unnatural it's annoying... if they don't want to walk into spearmen, or if they want to turn around and bait the spears, they can do it so easily. Spears are just a meme vs a cavalry that knows what he's doing...

You nerfed throwing weapons because two-handers were complaining, you nerfed other ranged because two-handers were complaining, you buffed two-handers even though they were the most picked class since start of early access, then I remember them getting buffed anyway for whatever reason... it's getting ridiculous, it feels like only some kind of players are being heard when it comes to balance, because they are the ones who cry the most about not being godlike enough. You nerfed lances for a little while by making them blockable, cav started complaining, oops reverse that and buff lances ASAP. I wonder if the game will truly ever be balanced going like this. My suggestion is to think carefully about what kind of balance and gameplay you want for your game that also makes sense (hopefully), and find some solutions.

This post is kinda all over the place but I'm not going to spend more time on it, the simple thing I'm saying is there's just a lot of balance issues atm and it's frustrating, because I wish the game had an enjoyable multiplayer experience with multiple viable playstyles, and not being forced to play such an obvious meta...

Last edited:
This is a fair statement in some cases. You should do everything you can to set up the conditions required to reproduce the problem. Sometimes this is not possible but many times it is and the SW person doesn't for any number of reasons. Bad habits, lack of discipline, laziness, inexperience.

So, adding to what you have said, experience helps guess the cause but it also teaches you that you must only guess at the cause as a last resort.
Or because there's not enough information to help reproduce the crash. One can say they got a crash when battling an Empire lord, but it could turn out that the crash is caused by an item worn by a non-imperial unit the lord rescued before. Crash is, in my experience, the hardest kind of bugs to deal with because it's often difficult to trace and solve, especially a crash that only a few people experience. It's even worse if it's related to hardware and OS setup. You need to have the same setup to really confirm that the bug is really fixed.

Oftentimes your diagnose missed, and you think you fixed it, but it turns out you fixed a different crash issue than what your client is having, so all you can say is "I think I fixed it but please try again," and see if the ones reporting the crash still have it, which is what they seem to be doing here.

Or because there's not enough information to help reproduce the crash. One can say they got a crash when battling an Empire lord, but it could turn out that the crash is caused by an item worn by a non-imperial unit the lord rescued before. Crash is, in my experience, the hardest kind of bugs to deal with because it's often difficult to trace and solve, especially a crash that only a few people experience. It's even worse if it's related to hardware and OS setup. You need to have the same setup to really confirm that the bug is really fixed.

Oftentimes your diagnose missed, and you think you fixed it, but it turns out you fixed a different crash issue than what your client is having, so all you can say is "I think I fixed it but please try again," and see if the ones reporting the crash still have it, which is what they seem to be doing here.

I agree this can be the case. I think the point is that there are more cases than one would normally expect.

This.

Plus omitting said fixes from patch notes based on uncertainty that is it fixed is certainly worse than admitting that you are not sure of what the cause is, if you don't warn people that there has been an attempt, they will never know for sure if it was something that was fixed or just stopped happening for no reason and also they will never let you know the result of your attempt, and no, lack of complaints is not a definitive answer.

Hotfix 21/04/21

Multiplayer​

Crashes
  • Fixed a crash that occurred after the initial Skirmish match loading process.
Fixes
  • Fixed a bug that caused the multiplayer lobby to freeze for several seconds during login.
Changes
  • Both range and melee troops AI has been improved in Captain mode. It will now make more accurate attacking and defending behaviour decisions.

Both​

Fixes
  • Fixed a bug that caused ranged units not to swap to a melee weapon when the player charged towards them.

Hotfix 21/04/21

Multiplayer​

Crashes
Fixes
  • Fixed a bug that caused the multiplayer lobby to freeze for several seconds during login.
Changes
  • Both range and melee troops AI has been improved in Captain mode. It will now make more accurate attacking and defending behaviour decisions.

Both​

Fixes
  • Fixed a bug that caused ranged units not to swap to a melee weapon when the player charged towards them.
how about you fix performance?

tenor.gif

Hotfix 21/04/21

Multiplayer​

Crashes
Fixes
Changes

Both​

Fixes
Thanks for all updates you do.

how about you fix performance?
Sure thing pal, let me whip out a magic wand. There, done... If you're facing any issues, please report them to our technical support. I believe the last year of updates clearly shows that we improved the performance in a multitude of ways. If that's not the case for you or others, please make sure to report it. Your patience with this is appreciated.
Thanks for all updates you do.
You're welcome, thank you for the message.

Sure thing pal, let me whip out a magic wand. There, done... If you're facing any issues, please report them to our technical support. I believe the last year of updates clearly shows that we improved the performance in a multitude of ways. If that's not the case for you or others, please make sure to report it. Your patience with this is appreciated.

You're welcome, thank you for the message.
We appreciate the hotfix and letting us know about it, ignore those frustrated people :smile:. Keep up the good work!

The new siege map needs balancing, it's impossible for attackers to win. There are way too many high spots for defenders to have archers (and they probably have very good spawns as well), while for attackers it takes way too long to get to flag points and you get shot up by then anyway

The new siege map needs balancing, it's impossible for attackers to win. There are way too many high spots for defenders to have archers (and they probably have very good spawns as well), while for attackers it takes way too long to get to flag points and you get shot up by then anyway

Which one? The desert or the battanian(?) with the nasty kill-zone in A (surrounded by the gate and palisades)?

Back
Top Bottom