Party speed abysmally low

Users who are viewing this thread

talior3

Recruit
I have hundreds of spare horses in my inventory and I'm still too slow. I can't get anyone or run away from anyone, I sometimes move at a speed of 1.

Just what? I failed quests because of this. At my best with an only cavalry party i was at best at 3.3 while bandits get 4.9 and even 6. This makes 0 sense. 0.

You probably have too many horses. The herd penalty can be pretty steep. I think the ideal amount is 2 horses for every soldier. More than that and they slow you way down

The following will give you an insight on the travel speed. In case you did not know, you can hover above the speed to get a list of everything contributing to your speed. The most likely culprit here is herd penalty.

Here are some concrete figures I collected with one of my character.
The hero is on foot, NOT mounting any horse.

Hero alone0 mule1 mule2 mules3 mules4 mules
0 horse5,05,03,52,01,0
1 horse6,06,04,53,02,0
2 horses6,04,53,02,02,0
3 horses4,53,02,02,02,0
4 horses3,02,02,02,02,0

Hero + 3 footmen0 mule1 mule2 mules3 mules4 mules
0 horse5,05,05,05,05,0
1 horse5,25,25,25,25,2
2 horses5,55,55,55,55,5
3 horses5,75,75,75,75,7
4 horses6,06,06,06,06,0

As you can see, you get no herd penalty if you respect the following golden rule: "one human + one horse + one livestock"
Of course there are other paramaters that influence the party speed as bonus from perks, penalty from encumbrance, low morale, environment etc...

That makes 3 animals, giving you a penalty.
And if the horses were "stumper horse" type, then it is considered as livestock, resulting in even worse penalty.

I have hundreds of spare horses in my inventory and I'm still too slow. I can't get anyone or run away from anyone, I sometimes move at a speed of 1.

Just what? I failed quests because of this. At my best with an only cavalry party i was at best at 3.3 while bandits get 4.9 and even 6. This makes 0 sense. 0.

To add to the above two posts... herd penalty is there to replicate the difficulty you might have in keeping control of horses/livestock with not enough people to manage them.

The horse being ridden doesn't count in the math, but does in your party speed, so if you want to take a lot of horses with you, run a cavalry only party.

The following will give you an insight on the travel speed. In case you did not know, you can hover above the speed to get a list of everything contributing to your speed. The most likely culprit here is herd penalty.
A little clarification concerning the "golden rule"
1 human + 1 horse + 1 livestock or horse
To add to the above two posts... herd penalty is there to replicate the difficulty you might have in keeping control of horses/livestock with not enough people to manage them.
+1

Back
Top Bottom