Particle effect changed by lighting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Baron Conrad

Sergeant Knight
I noticed that the particles of dust from horse hooves shows different depending on the lighting, (day/night etc).

Does anyone know what part of the particle entry does this?

Thanks.

xenoargh said:
It's the shader type.

He meant the particle entry, it's game_hoof_dust. There are multiple such as snow and mud but they look like this so you should be able to find them. Module particle systems is the file. For the shader check the mesh that is used in the particle.

Code:
     ("game_hoof_dust", psf_billboard_3d|psf_randomize_size|psf_randomize_rotation|psf_2d_turbulance, "prt_mesh_dust_1",#prt_mesh_dust_1
     5, 2.0,  10, 0.05, 10.0, 39.0, #num_particles, life, damping, gravity_strength, turbulance_size, turbulance_strength
     (0.2, 0.5), (1, 0.0),        #alpha keys
     (0, 1), (1, 1),        #red keys
     (0, 0.9),(1, 0.9),         #green keys
     (0, 0.78),(1, 0.78),         #blue keys
     (0.0, 2.0),   (1.0, 3.5),   #scale keys
     (0.2, 0.3, 0.2),           #emit box size
     (0, 0, 3.9),                 #emit velocity
     0.5,                         #emit dir randomness
     130,                       #rotation speed
     0.5                        #rotation damping
    ),

That's a much more helpful answer :smile:

Sorry, I'd forgotten that he might not know how to find the particle mesh and see that it uses a different shader than the fire/spark particles, etc. by inspecting it with OpenBRF :oops:

It's ok as you would expect most people to know what your talking about. At least he has his answer now and we'll see if he finds it useful when he posts back.

Well this is rather odd, I checked the shaders being used for both hoof_dust and With Fire and Sword gun smoke which I was trying to fix. Apparently they use the same shader. Then I tried making guns use the exact same particle effect as hoof dust but for some reason, the dust coming from guns was still unaffected by the lighting (Always the same color, bright both day and night). whereas the dust coming from horses worked correctly (dark at night, reddish at dusk etc.).

Unless I really confused what I was doing..this really doesn't make sense. But as hoof dust is hard-coded into the game, I can't really check if they are doing anything special there.

It's not really a big deal, if I can't figure this out, but thanks for your answers!

Back
Top Bottom