partially automatic (scripted) larger battles

Users who are viewing this thread

Beron

Sergeant
Hi all,

i am starting to mod with very few knowledge of programming, have studied some hours the structure of the module system and have the feeling that it is way too complicated to get through it in a reasonable time. for me at least.

I have a very specific (initial) target: I want to modify the simple (battle) encounter. At the end of the first round of the battle scene, I want to calculate the rest of the battle (given that the battle requires more than one round to be completed) with a simple algorithm. In other words, I want to patially automatically resolve the larger battles. The first round will be deciding: if you prevale, you have gotten through, if you loose, you have lost all.

My personal gameplay perspective on large (battle) encounters is that it gets annoying to get through thosends and thousends of enemies, i am bored at most of such long battles in the endgame phase. Also, I don'T have the physical time to get through them!!! (and yet, i don't want to completely automatically solve them). Finally, hystorically you never had to personally get through each of the enemies: once you had broken them at some point, the rest started running. There may be some exception to this rule (and several gameplay consequences to take account), but I have first to get the simple rule done :smile:

More of the ideas behind this change-attempt can be found here:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,289596.0.html

For a first version I would calculate it this way: the winning faction (the one that has won the first round) loose nothing more than the losses of the battle round while all the parties of the loosing faction get the following: the half of the remaining troops die (from a gameplay point of view they are dispersed, killed, mostly desert the army), the remaining half are wounded (from a gameplay point of view they are just orderly routed, so that their leaders can not do anything else than take them far from the fray to recover their morale). So the encounter is finished.

I have read some tutorials and understood how the module_game_menus roughly works, presently I am studying the scripts related to the combat, trying ot get to the variables and to the calculations... is quite hard work (understanding how it work is hard, I mean...)

any help, direction, hint, perhaps any hint to somebody who already worked on that or even already accomplished this very task (a dream, ohoh...)... I am studying/working on the Brytenwalda modification (i.e. Brytenwalda module system).

many thanks in advance,
Beron.

Back
Top Bottom