Painted Greathelms dev1257 sub-mod (*updated for r213*)

Users who are viewing this thread

stefan140

Recruit
UPDATED v.2 available for r213

v.2 Changes:
-Red Helmet now has white cross rather than black
-Green helmet is darker
-specularity changed on various helms
-Painted Helmets have reduced abundance (should be rarer to find now)
-Painted Great Helms are now actually called "Painted Great Helm"

Hi. Here is a small submod I made, which adds a few retextured great helms to the mod.

NOTE: I made this for the latest SVN version (r213) and I'm pretty sure it wont work with the standard 0.97.1 Beta version. But I can make one if there is a demand for it.. It obviously also may stop working if a future update is applied to any of the files modified in this submod.

Have a look:
3928-1-1361382805.jpg

Features:
-Adds 11 new great helm textures in various colours, that can be purchased at armour merchants in Central/Western Europe (white & red, and white & black helms in the Crusader States or Teutonic Order)
-European Senior knights will occasionally wear any of the red, blue, yellow, green and black helms (had to remove some of the norman and pepperpot helms form their list to do this unfortunatly, but now Lesser knights wear those)
- Knights Templar, Knights of Saint Lazerus and Knights of Saint Thomas occasionally wear the white & red helm
-Teutonic Brother Knights occasionally wear the white & black helm
-Stats are the same as the other great helms

As far as historical accuracy is concerned: I am still not 100% sure. I know rich knights often had their helms painted, but how and what colours im not entirely sure. Still looking into it. Maybe someone who has done some more research in that field could enlighten me?  :smile: 

Installation
1. Make Back-up copies of the following files from your dev1257 module folder (just incase):
- item_kinds1.txt
- module.ini
- troops.txt
and any savegames you may want to revert back to if you decide otherwise.
2. drag the contents of the zip file into the dev1257 folder, and choose to replace all files when asked

then it should work fine, it takes a while for the helms to appear in the markets so be patient.. have fun!

Download v.2 HERE:http://mountandblade.nexusmods.com/mods/3928/

Credits:
-All credits for the meshes and original textures go to the 1257AD mod team OSP, Faradon, DejWolf, Talak, iggorbb (sorry Im not sure who's responsible for which helm :/ )

These look excellent!  My only qualm is with the helms with the wimples,  but you didn't add them, so it's not your fault.

Mkhedari said:
These look excellent!  My only qualm is with the helms with the wimples,  but you didn't add them, so it's not your fault.
thanks! and what do you mean by wimples? the mantles on the first two? I personally thought they were a nice touch, just wish they were a bit longer and would look better with a crest like this:
Great%20Helm%2013th%20Century_Gallery1_BG.jpg
but i dont know if it would even be possible to model something like that for warband..

Godfrey de Ibelin said:
Thanks very much for making this MOD even better. Now i just hope to see them 3 sexy winged helms brought back to the mod.
arent there already 3 in game? or is something different with my version? The teutonic looking one with the bat-like wings , the gold crest one and the one with the slightly rectangular striped wings. Or do you mean something else?

stefan140 said:
thanks! and what do you mean by wimples? the mantles on the first two? I personally thought they were a nice touch, just wish they were a bit longer and would look better with a crest like this:
but i dont know if it would even be possible to model something like that for warband..
By "wimple" I mean the woman's headdress on the helmets.  It's not like the turban-like wrappings on some helmets.

Mkhedari said:
stefan140 said:
By "wimple" I mean the woman's headdress on the helmets.  It's not like the turban-like wrappings on some helmets.
Its dont think its meant to be a womens headress, many knights wore mantles like that on their helms, mostly in the 14th century though. manuscripts show helms like this:
bprincecrest1.jpg

mantles like that where useful in order to prevent overheating under the sun.. even if they seam rather girlish to us ....  :lol:

Jason L. said:
mantles like that where useful in order to prevent overheating under the sun.. even if they seam rather girlish to us ....  :lol:
I dont think they look girlish tbh. I actually think its pretty badass looking, its a like a bandana for knights lol. Can just imagine riding a chopper down route 66 with one of those on..

stefan140 said:
Jason L. said:
I dont think they look girlish tbh. I actually think its pretty badass looking, its a like a bandana for knights lol. Can just imagine riding a chopper down route 66 with one of those on..
:shock:  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Godfrey de Ibelin said:
Now i just hope to see them 3 sexy winged helms brought back to the mod.
FFS these things are not historically accurate for the mod's time frame or for anything outside fancy tournaments. You'd have to create a winged helmets submod for that.

@Historical accuracy: The one source for painted Templar helmets is from San Bevignate in Perugia/Italy:
Baussant_small.jpg

However, this is a kettle hat and I'm not sure if the black cross is original or painted over in a wrong colour. I'd be very careful with the white-and-red great helmets. However, I don't know right now how accurate the Templars look ATM anyways, there probably are some little mistakes here and there like lacking maille mittens for knights etc...

Cuthalion said:
Godfrey de Ibelin said:
Now i just hope to see them 3 sexy winged helms brought back to the mod.
FFS these things are not historically accurate for the mod's time frame or for anything outside fancy tournaments. You'd have to create a winged helmets submod for that.

@Historical accuracy: The one source for painted Templar helmets is from San Bevignate in Perugia/Italy:
Baussant_small.jpg

However, this is a kettle hat and I'm not sure if the black cross is original or painted over in a wrong colour. I'd be very careful with the white-and-red great helmets. However, I don't know right now how accurate the Templars look ATM anyways, there probably are some little mistakes here and there like lacking maille mittens for knights etc...
Thanks for this! Always apreciate some historical feedback like this on my work.. The soldier in the painting looks like a sergeant on foot or something like that, hard to tell.. Or do you recon its meant to be a knight with a kettle helm? I looked it up and it said the place was restored in 1860, maybe some painters added their artistic interpretation. But if they really wanted to change it wouldnt they just have painted shining full plate armour on them, how most 19th century artists imagined and depicted knights from that era. I dont know, but Ill take this as proof for now until I get proven completly wrong, if that makes sense? Do you think I should make them alot rarer? Take out the white and red one completly and leave white and black one? What do you think?

The singularity of the source makes it a hit-and-miss game. The depicted warrior is mounted IIRC but since the armour is not completely visible and since he lacks a surcoat, the assumption of him being a sergeant is just a hypothesis (a solid one, though, in my opinion). It would be sufficiently careful to limit the use of this helmet to a few Templar sergeants (I'd vote for a red cross but simply because of the surcoat/mantle analogies), although variations with different colours (and cross styles) might be possible for infantry or turcopoles etc.

Back
Top Bottom