Pack animals slowing party?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do pack animals slow your party in 1.5.5, or has it been this way for a while and I just haven't noticed?

I just bought a bunch of mules and Sumpter horses (they were 24 gold a pop, and selling for over 100 nearby), and my speed plummeted from 4.5 to 1.1, and selling them brought it back up.

I can get why TW would nerf pack animals, as they were kind of a broken way for traders to make some easy money early on, but wow, the speed penalty is pretty harsh as it is now.

Is there a mod to correct this?

Seems like yet another (inadvertant?) Khuzait movement buff.
The herd penalty has been in since day one but it was insignificant. It was increased by TW because players were carrying around huge pack animal trains with years worth of food. If there isn't a mod out now I'm sure someone will make one soon.

Is there a mod to correct this?

Seems like yet another (inadvertant?) Khuzait movement buff.

Not really. Outside of caravans, AI parties rarely had even 25% of their total herd limit, based on party size. The herd penalty is based on having too many animals for the number of men, not having animals in general.

You can still get a full "Footmen on horses" bonus and have zero herd penalty.

You can't do that, have a hundred sheep, three dozen warhorses, thirteen cows you stole and enough pack animals to carry food for three years with only 0.17 herd penalty anymore.

Maybe I don't understand how it works in the game now. Is (besides cavalry) all infantry on horses and no pack animals the fastest? That would not make any sense at all.

The imagination that cavalry armies are faster than infantry on long distances is problematic anyway. But ok, it's a game. However, if you have all footmen on horses and nothing more, by whom is the baggage carried? It is wrong to imagine a cavalry based army (or even smaller troops, like in western movies) without a mass of wagons or at least pack animals. Fastest should be an army all on horses plus a certain amount of pack animals, let's say one or two per soldier.

Maybe I don't understand how it works in the game now. Is (besides cavalry) all infantry on horses and no pack animals the fastest?

Yes.

However, if you have all footmen on horses and nothing more, by whom is the baggage carried? It is wrong to imagine a cavalry based army (or even smaller troops, like in western movies) without a mass of wagons or at least pack animals. Fastest should be an army all on horses plus a certain amount of pack animals, let's say one or two per soldier.

Infantry are still carrying their share, just while riding on a horse's back. I agree though, and I'll even go further and say it is wrong to imagine any army moving without a baggage train, but that's the way it works in BL.

Back
Top Bottom