Pacifists of Calradia

Users who are viewing this thread

I really don't get what's going on with pacifist lords in this game. I'm playing a Battanian vassal. We've been at peace for going on 4 weeks now since the last (very short) war, we're paying tribute to just about everyone, and yet when I go to the diplomacy screen to propose a war to relieve my boredom, there's 0% support for any war, even against the hated Vlandians who stole a couple of heartland fiefs in the last war. How could there be 0% support for a war? Shouldn't at least the guys who lost their castles be clamoring to get them back?

Remember in Warband, where you could be getting stomped by 3 other factions and there was always that evil bastard who wanted you to go provoke another war with a fourth faction? What happened to that guy? Turns out he was the hero all along.

The whole voting system is broken af. There should never ever be 0% or 100% support for anything. It should be so rare that its notable when it happens. There should be lords who always want war no matter what is currently happening, and there should be other lords who almost never want it, and a bunch of moderates who can swing either way depending on the situation. Instead they all have the same opinion. Its so boring. I'm playing a war game where nobody wants to go to war.

Wish lord traits played into that too, like X trait = vote war constantly, etc...Better too if influence (still hate that 'currency') was finite so it's a tug-of-war so there's only 3000 total influence to split within a kingdom. Vs the inflated potential of influence one could just generate and gift other clans, making decision even more meaningless than they are already.
And why are fief decisions only among 3 clans when a kingdom could potentially get a lot more than that?

So now its been 3 full seasons and still nobody's interested in going to war. There are actually no wars going on in the whole world. There's nothing to do except tournaments. And I know that when the next war does come, it'll be over in less than a week, so if I wander too far away there's a good chance I miss the whole thing before I can get back.

How can you have a war game where nobody wants to go to war? What's even the point of this game?

Yeah it's very annoying, especially as a merc. If a vassal you can just keep starting wars by raiding villages and eat the influence hit, which can easily be made back with warfare and prisoners. If a ruler you can just attack a lord to start a war with no influence loss. But the whole "no progress" "endless armies only" set up is very bad IMO.

I use Petty Kingdoms mod in my actual play. Makes sandbox experience less dull and more digestable. No scarcity of conflicts as there are 40+factions at the beginning. Gameplay also scales more smoothly, with small parties and armies.

There does seem a tendency towards peace especially in the early part of a campaign but at least so far once the wars start then rebellions start and then more wars, eventually it turns into nearly continuous war where there is no peace settlement as soon as a single town or castle is captured.

Southern Empire recently went on a tear vs Northern Empire in my campaign where they didn't accept peace until 3 towns had fallen, 1 castle had gone to the north but also 1 castle to the south. Was trying to figure out how the South kept beating the north despite smaller armies and fewer Clans but then I realized most of their towns had prosperity in the 6-8,000 range vs the north with 3-5,000 prosperity.

There does seem a tendency towards peace especially in the early part of a campaign but at least so far once the wars start then rebellions start and then more wars, eventually it turns into nearly continuous war where there is no peace settlement as soon as a single town or castle is captured.

Southern Empire recently went on a tear vs Northern Empire in my campaign where they didn't accept peace until 3 towns had fallen, 1 castle had gone to the north but also 1 castle to the south. Was trying to figure out how the South kept beating the north despite smaller armies and fewer Clans but then I realized most of their towns had prosperity in the 6-8,000 range vs the north with 3-5,000 prosperity.
Seems like its all or nothing in this game. Either non-stop war that becomes tiresome or long stretches of peace with nothing to do. The last game had an almost perfect pace of war and peace. I don't know how they screwed it up so bad in this one.

One and a half years of peace now
My game is just the opposite. Playing as a Battanian vassal, and as soon as one war ends, another begins. Sometimes we will be on two wars at once, as soon as the second war starts, we peace out of the first one. I'm lucky if I have five days in a row with no war, my garrison has tons of random recruits and trash units I've "rescued", just because I have no time to train them. I am using the Diplomacy mod though, so that may have something to do with it, I just don't remember the Diplomacy mod being so warlike, but I am using mods so ......

Weird thing is, a lot of empires that are declaring on us show around the same strength in the diplo screen, but when I go in they have one ok sized army and a bunch of smaller vassals running around with trash units. It's like they aren't taking the time to build up and actually be ready for war.

I am enjoying the battles a lot more than I did a year ago (last time I played), so there's that. Just wish I could build up a decent defense in my town so I feel ok venturing more than a days travel away from it lol

Blame it on all the people who complained about there being too much war. In earlier beta versions they were never like this and used to go to war more frequently. Rarely ever having down time. You can't have a game that's all about war and not be at war for long stretches.

It seems the more they try to add to the game to please one crowd they alienate everyone else because they break other functioning mechanics.

Blame it on all the people who complained about there being too much war. In earlier beta versions they were never like this and used to go to war more frequently. Rarely ever having down time. You can't have a game that's all about war and not be at war for long stretches.

It seems the more they try to add to the game to please one crowd they alienate everyone else because they break other functioning mechanics.
I just don't know how they can't get this one thing right. Its either too much or its too little. Warband never had this problem. The war frequency was just right. You had plenty of wars and enough downtime to do other things in between. Now its just screwy. Its only the most important part of the game.

I just don't know how they can't get this one thing right. Its either too much or its too little. Warband never had this problem. The war frequency was just right. You had plenty of wars and enough downtime to do other things in between. Now its just screwy. Its only the most important part of the game.
I once became a vassal for battania and they didn't go to war for two full in game years. It's like they have all these different roads that lead to nowhere and don't all flow to together. The game is like one gigantic pile of muck all thrown together but with zero care for any kind of order or flow. And the fixes seem to just add more meaningless roads that lead nowhere.

I once became a vassal for battania and they didn't go to war for two full in game years. It's like they have all these different roads that lead to nowhere and don't all flow to together. The game is like one gigantic pile of muck all thrown together but with zero care for any kind of order or flow. And the fixes seem to just add more meaningless roads that lead nowhere.
The devs seem to be great at designing really complex systems, but they have no idea how to make them fun.

Here is my suggestion to fix war voting by making lord personality traits play into it so the player can sway vote outcomes more often

Are you on 1.0.1? Apparently 1.0.2 has some changes to peace/war decisions, but i have not tested it yet.
This was on 1.0. Haven't upgraded to 1.0.2 yet, but I hope they really improved it like they say

Here is my suggestion to fix war voting by making lord personality traits play into it so the player can sway vote outcomes more often

Definitely needs it. Voting's a joke right now

Back
Top Bottom