Overland roads?

Users who are viewing this thread

I was just thinking a nice immersive feature would be roads connecting settlements on the overworld map, nothing fancy, just dirt paths and stones to showcase common travelling spots or even trade routes. I was also thinking that people could move faster on roads at the cost of banditry being more likely since highwaymen used to pick their victims on the roads. If not then just as a cosmetic feature they would be nice.

They had this in Warband, I'm sure they'll have it in Bannerlord. They also said the terrain is more mountainous, sort of forcing players to go through choke points and potential ambush locations.

Lord Brutus said:
I'm constantly amazed by people who cry for the most minute details and are oblivious to the details they already have.

Why are you being so hostile? It was a suggestion, a small detail that I thought could add something to the game, I don't know what about my OP implies that I'm crying for anything, I was sat at home, the thought popped into my head, so I posted it here.

yeah Visible Roads xD
blog12_west.jpg

Jacobhinds said:
The roads in warband were a buggy hack which tended to kill pathfinding. If they're the same in bannerlord it would be disappointing.

I vaguely remember some like that in M&B, not sure if they even kept them for the final version, but in Warband I can barely spot any at all- I just loaded it up (unmodified native) and all I could find after carefully searching the map for a few minutes at close zoom was one faint road near Tosdhar.

Lord Brutus said:
No hostility intended but there are roads on the map in Warband.  Why would they be absent from Bannerlord?

It's preposterous to say that there are roads in Warband, they are virtually non existent let alone having a meaningful effect on the game or enhancing the immersion.

Balexander said:
yeah Visible Roads xD
blog12_west.jpg

There is a track visible here but I would like to see far more, at least near large towns and the roads should be more complete and of better quality in the Empire territories.

The roads were some abortive afterthought in Warband. Hopefully the great Calradic Empire had some decent ones but the footage so far hasn't shown much more than discoloured tracks. Hopefully they've been put in over the past 18 months.

Balexander said:
yeah Visible Roads xD
I'm 12 yo
itayys said:
Think they will add the feature cause its already in warband :grin:
If you guys read what others post, you will find there are no real roads in Warband. That's just creased terrain painted brown that interferes with party pathfinding. Now try to be smart about something you really know.

MadVader said:
Balexander said:
yeah Visible Roads xD
I'm 12 yo
itayys said:
Think they will add the feature cause its already in warband :grin:
If you guys read what others post, you will find there are no real roads in Warband. That's just creased terrain painted brown that interferes with party pathfinding. Now try to be smart about something you really know.

1. How is your average end user supposed to know that?
2. Even though warband's roads were hacky they're still more than we can see in the current map.

Okay it seems this thread is getting a little heated, all I wanted to do was make a small suggestion, no need for so much vitriol.

Personally I think the existence of roads as a game-play feature would be neat. For example, increased movement speed along roads for yourself and your units, it would highlight a need to travel sensibly since in historical wars terrain played an important part in the mobilisation of an army. As a counter to that, an increased bandit presence along roads could be an interesting trade-off, roads would be more dangerous for smaller parties, forcing them to consider if a slower off-road journey is worth the safety and increased travel time. For an army, bandits aren't a threat, but given the higher speed of the road other factions would be sure to check roads for enemy parties, and set up ambushes, just like in history.

Whether or not Warband has roads is up for debate, but I think we can all agree they don't have a strong presence, they're difficult to see, and they serve no game-play purpose. I am aware of what look like dirt paths in the Bannerlord screenshots, however what I had in mind were proper pavings, or cobbles, whichever, something that stands out on the map and has a use.

Having looked at that screenshot again I also just wanted to point out that increased number of trees, which will likely slow parties as they have in Warband, if vegetation is more dense, then it seems roads would have to be something to rely on.

A response from someone at Taleworld's just to confirm would be awesome.

Original M&B had roads.  Your barely half-trained and still minimally equipped army is running from an enemy stack that's composed of Swadian Knight deserters, and outnumbers you, and they've got just enough of a speed advantage to make it a close race to the nearest castle.  You cross a line on the map (a road), and suddenly your army makes a 120 degree turn BACK towards the pursuing enemy, because the program thinks you want to follow the road.  Never mind that you're going the wrong way, you're on the road and movement is a bit faster, so it MUST be better, right?  Rage quit.

In a couple of cases, my unit got on a road, and it took about a dozen clicks to get them back off of it: click to the side and they go one way along the road, click again in the same spot and they turn around and go the other way.  Click to the opposite side and they turn 180 degrees again, and so on.  I eventually had to let them go about 1/4 of the way to the next village, roughly 90 degrees from the direction I wanted them to move, before they finally exited and started going in the right direction.  I regard roads in M&B as "obstacles".

If they're thinking of implementing roads in the same infuriating manner that they did before, all I can say is "Don't".

Back
Top Bottom