Native OSP 2D Art Overhaul of weapons2.dds - 2k HiRes (UPD: ...and weapons3.dds)

Users who are viewing this thread

How do I create a 2k HiRes texture-atlas like weapons.dds? Is it just scaling the original texture up to 2048 x 2048 and then replacing the original textures with more detailed textures at the same place? Or do I have also to change the txure coordinates? If so, is there a simple way of doing that?

Well, the easiest way is to scale the original texture and copy in the existing UV map. But, if you want to use this texture map with other weapons (for example, I use those two 2k textures with luigi's old weapon packs), you need to convert the UV map of each model for those textures. A bit of work, but very rewarding. You can have some awesome old models(again, I find luigi's work some of the best there is, in terms of models for M&B, for variety and content) with new and fancy textures.  :wink:

Howard P. Lovecraft said:
Well, the easiest way is to scale the original texture and copy in the existing UV map. But, if you want to use this texture map with other weapons (for example, I use those two 2k textures with luigi's old weapon packs), you need to convert the UV map of each model for those textures. A bit of work, but very rewarding. You can have some awesome old models(again, I find luigi's work some of the best there is, in terms of models for M&B, for variety and content) with new and fancy textures.  :wink:
Would appreciate if you instruct in PM how to do this step by step. What program to use?

Howard P. Lovecraft said:
[...] copy in the existing UV map.
[...] you need to convert the UV map of each model for those textures.
[...] luigi's work some of the best there is, in terms of models for M&B, for variety and content [...]
First of all, thank you for taking your time to answer my questions. Now I have a few follow-ups:

1. How do I "copy in" the existing UV map? where do I even find the existing UV map?
2. How do I convert the UV map for each model. if I use a different model than native?
3. Where can I find "luigi's work?

thank you again for all your help! it is greatly appreciated.

Taking into account how may different items use textures weapon1-3.dds, you can only study the positions of different fragments on the current textures, carefully select them, save such selections (for weapons2.dds you can use my .xcf file if you want to adjust/replace something) and then replace their content after scaling the textures up (scaling textures doesn't affect their UVmaps - they seem to work as relative positions, not absolute). 

If only 1 item uses a texture, you can open it, for example, in Blender, switch to its UVmap and save it as image.
To change UVmaps, you also have to use Blender or a similar program.
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,366464.msg8780482.html#msg8780482
It's one of the easiest things to do in a 3d editor.
Unless you're dealing with vertex animations... I don't even know if there is a way to edit them as .md3 files or only by splitting them into frames and editing them 1 by 1.

Leonion said:
Taking into account how may different items use textures weapon1-3.dds, you can only study the positions of different fragments on the current textures, carefully select them, save such selections (for weapons2.dds you can use my .xcf file if you want to adjust/replace something) and then replace their content after scaling the textures up (scaling textures doesn't affect their UVmaps - they seem to work as relative positions, not absolute). 

If only 1 item uses a texture, you can open it, for example, in Blender, switch to its UVmap and save it as image.
To change UVmaps, you also have to use Blender or a similar program.
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,366464.msg8780482.html#msg8780482
It's one of the easiest things to do in a 3d editor.
Unless you're dealing with vertex animations... I don't even know if there is a way to edit them as .md3 files or only by splitting them into frames and editing them 1 by 1.

When I want to edit UV maps(or re-make them, most of the time) I use 3ds Max. As for vertex animations, like scabbards, bows and such, I also do it like that, 1 by 1 frame and then combine into vertex.

DerGreif said:
1. How do I "copy in" the existing UV map? where do I even find the existing UV map?
2. How do I convert the UV map for each model. if I use a different model than native?
3. Where can I find "luigi's work?

1. Go into Photoshop or GIMP, open the texture you'd like to edit and go to Image Size, then scale it up or down, depending on what you want to do. The texture itself, is a map of the UV map. To see the exact UV map, the blueprint, open them model you want in a 3d program, like Blender, or 3ds Max and apply a UV map modifier and then open said UV map. But, if a retexture is what you want, the texture is all you need, really.
2. A 3d modelling software is the answer. You'll have to tinker with it yourself, though. There are many tutorials, but I found it better to do simple stuff on my own and then move to more cplex ones.
3. https://www.mbrepository.com/who.php?id=294 Many of the use native weapons1.dds or luigis old textures, photocopied ones that don't look too good. But I converted them to use Leonion's texture and the models themselves are mostly great.

:smile:

I don't believe you have to change any UV coords when using a larger texture, as long as it follows the 2^n size. 512x512, 1024, 2048, the UV coords should apply the whole texture correctly. But, maybe I'm misunderstanding the question here. Note that you can also do basic UVmap changes in OpenBRF, such as scaling and tracking.

I like the direction this thread is headed though! One HD texture might soon become an overhaul for some of the oldest and most used objects common across all mods. :smile:

@Leonion
@Howard P. Lovecraft
@Ruthven

Thank you all so much! That helped me a great deal! So I can just use the old texture as example, scale it up and then fill it accordingly with better textures. Sounds great! When I have finished some retex of native, I post it here for all to use.

One last question: Is Luigi's stuff OSP? Could not find anything like an OSP notification in the repository.

DerGreif said:
@Leonion
@Howard P. Lovecraft
@Ruthven

Thank you all so much! That helped me a great deal! So I can just use the old texture as example, scale it up and then fill it accordingly with better textures. Sounds great! When I have finished some retex of native, I post it here for all to use.

One last question: Is Luigi's stuff OSP? Could not find anything like an OSP notification in the repository.
Luigi's models are like some of the most OG OSP items for mount&blade (as in, Mount&Blade) from the original Open Source Project. You can find them in all the OSP_Weapon packs with the lui_ tag, but maybe they are all compiled somewhere too. I'm fairly certain everything he made he released as free to use.

+1

The old Open Source Weapons project has most of the medieval ones in it, so they are classified as OSP. Also, in luigi's profile in mbrepository, you'll find all of his packs.

Ruthven said:
I don't believe you have to change any UV coords when using a larger texture, as long as it follows the 2^n size. 512x512, 1024, 2048, the UV coords should apply the whole texture correctly.

Yup, that's the point. But, if you want to make old OSP models to use the same 2k texture you use for other models(like the native 2k re-textures), you need to UV map them to the coordinates of the texture you want to use. For example, for luigi's Polearms, I use my weapons3.dds file and for his swords, Leonion's weapons2. That way, I have a very large amount of models using only two texture files and two materials, instead of having a bunch of different files, and they look great. And for weapons like polearms and such, it's relatively easy to do it, just split the weapon into 2 parts(handle and blade) and unfold them properly. It gets a bit tedious, but easy, nonetheless.  :smile:

I wasn't quite satisfied with version 1, so here is version 2.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nx2jhdjtv34vjfa/weapons_nat_retex.zip?dl=0
h-317.jpg

h-318.jpg
This time the texture has a different pattern so it's not compatible with weapons2.dds, but I changed UVmaps of most Native weapons to work with it.
The main reason for the version 2 is blades of weapons. As you can see, the new texture has multiple steel fragments from light to dark, and blades of most sharp weapons now use 2 fragments - lighter for for the sharp edge(s), darker for the rest of the metallic part.

In the archive you will find 3 texture files (diffuse, normalmap, specular) and a .brf file.
The .brf file contains items from the following Native brf: weapon_meshes_c (full), weapon_meshes_d (full), weapon_meshes_e (full), weapons_e (full), weapons_f (except for arabian_spear_a_3m, although there is a copy of it mapped to the new texture), spear (full), deneme (samurai weapons and scabbards, I also made lods2 for them), weapon_meshes1 (a few items).
So overall it's most of weapons2 and weapons3 items.

Back
Top Bottom