SP - UI Overhaul mods - stripey thumbnails

Users who are viewing this thread

Octanoz

Regular
Hi MRay,

Hopefully you'll find some time to look at this one soon.

Most mods that have their own custom equipment have stripey thumbnails in inventory, recruitment and encyclopaedia. Can this be fixed?

6ukC3z1.jpg

H1pLuWc.jpg

1je69J4.jpg
oNqzutC.jpg

These thumbnails are taken with the default material textures and properties, meaning without applying team color, banner texture etc. I've seen mods that add new equipment not have a problem with the thumbnails, so I would imagine it's case by case and not a general issue.

These thumbnails are taken with the default material textures and properties, meaning without applying team color, banner texture etc. I've seen mods that add new equipment not have a problem with the thumbnails, so I would imagine it's case by case and not a general issue.

This seems to be a widespread issue across many mods.

I've tried this with Eagle Rising, Open Source Armory, Blood and Smoke. I think there is an underlying bug of some sort that is preventing the icons from being integrated.

Is there a way to make the icones as well apply the team color, etc? Ex: a way in the XML to give the modder the option to have icons with the team color and banner texture?

Leaving a link here to a previous post.
Apparently it was not an issue before 1.7.2

The issue is still present on items with team colors. also, there are some vanilla items that are effected as well. The Issue only surfaces when the "assets" and "assetsources" folders are removed from the module (like your supposed to do when published). this makes me think the issue is with the compression/packaging of the assets when publishing the module (which is performed by the modding kit).

The issue is still present on items with team colors. also, there are some vanilla items that are effected as well. The Issue only surfaces when the "assets" and "assetsources" folders are removed from the module (like your supposed to do when published). this makes me think the issue is with the compression/packaging of the assets when publishing the module (which is performed by the modding kit).
Actually you are not supposed to remove anything. "Assets" and "AssetSources" should not appear in the published mod, but the modding tool takes care of this while publishing. You shouldn't be removing anything manually. When you click the publish button and select an output directory, the resulting output will not contain these folders, but your original mod folder should include.

+1 to what Alexander Drakos said. The issue occurs regardless of team colours, so it cannot be that. The issue is also present in the modding tools when a vanilla material is used on a modded item, which seems to mean it is something to do with reading materials across different files, or when materials are not present in the same module as the mesh referencing them.

Leaving a link here to a previous post.
Apparently it was not an issue before 1.7.2

Yes - I had this issue starting on 1.7.2 as well.

I would try setting team color on the material of the armor piece itself. When the item gets used by the game code it'll be overriden but it'll have that team color by default when it's not given/set.

How would I do that? Or is that something Taleworlds would do? I think that by default, the "culture color" should be used for the armor pieces.

Or is this something only the author of the mod can do?

Last edited:
Actually you are not supposed to remove anything. "Assets" and "AssetSources" should not appear in the published mod, but the modding tool takes care of this while publishing. You shouldn't be removing anything manually. When you click the publish button and select an output directory, the resulting output will not contain these folders, but your original mod folder should include.
That is still not the cause of the issue though, as it is present in the modding tools when both the Assets and AssetSources folders are present and un-altered by the user outside of the modding tools themselves. The issue is universal across all mods that add custom items of any kind to the game. This is not a case of user error.

I meant that those folders are not contained on the released (published) version of the mod. we don't remove them manually. I tested this by publishing a version of our mod. our unpackaged version that contained the assets and assetsources folders did not have the thumbnail texture issue. but the published version that did not contain those folders and only contained the packaged assets does have the thumbnail texture.

the only change between the two versions was one was that one was published using the modding tool kit. the other one was the unpublished version. no manual changes were made.

That is still not the cause of the issue though, as it is present in the modding tools when both the Assets and AssetSources folders are present and un-altered by the user outside of the modding tools themselves. The issue is universal across all mods that add custom items of any kind to the game. This is not a case of user error.
that is true. in fact i believe all the vanilla textures in the modding tools have that issue.

Wow, so oblivious to the problem...
It is absolutely a general issue. The reason you saw mods that don't have a problem with the thumbnails is that those mods - incorrectly - included the Assets and AssetSources in their download files...
This was reported in May and Taleworlds doesn't even take it seriously.
Now with your full release and modding kit publishing removing Assets and AssetSources forcing mod makers to correctly publish their mods, ALL mods with custom assets have this problem universally.

It is very easy to reproduce, the fact that TW hasn't acknowledged this bug even exists shows that TW never even tried.
  • Make a new empty module
  • Import any item
  • Publish the mod
  • Play the published mod, open inventory with cheat activated so you can see the thumbnail
  • Observe how it has the stripy look 10/10 times
  • Now manually copy over the Assets and AssetSources from the source module to the published module and run it again
  • Observe how the striped look is gone

It is most definitely a bug with the thumbnail renderer.

Last edited:
Thank you for finally taking the time to look into this. I have reported this many times for months now, including the cause.
This issue floods our bug reports. It will be a great relief when it is fixed.

As some have noted, it is inversed for vanilla assets in the modding tools. I do remember a specific patch where we had to republish our assets to prevent a CTD on launch. I THINK this happened around the same time we started seeing vanilla assets appear the way they do, and mod assets appear this way. Perhaps there is a connection (or perhaps I am remembering incorrectly).

Wow, so oblivious to the problem...
It is absolutely a general issue. The reason you saw mods that don't have a problem with the thumbnails is that those mods - incorrectly - included the Assets and AssetSources in their download files...
This was reported in May and Taleworlds doesn't even take it seriously.
Now with your full release and modding kit publishing removing Assets and AssetSources forcing mod makers to correctly publish their mods, ALL mods with custom assets have this problem universally.

It is very easy to reproduce, the fact that TW hasn't acknowledged this bug even exists shows that TW never even tried.
  • Make a new empty module
  • Import any item
  • Publish the mod
  • Play the published mod, open inventory with cheat activated so you can see the thumbnail
  • Observe how it has the stripy look 10/10 times
  • Now manually copy over the Assets and AssetSources from the source module to the published module and run it again
  • Observe how the striped look is gone

It is most definitely a bug with the thumbnail renderer.
Hi there,

I tried creating a new module and moving a Native asset to it (by removing from Native, adding to the newly created module). Say, a helmet. I added this item as a helmet in the newly created module and gave it an observable name. I can observe it in the game yet the thumbnails look fine. Can you reproduce this scenario with a single asset, or does it happen only when you add the whole module? I need to reproduce it but it doesn't seem to be happening on my side.

Thanks

Hi there,

I tried creating a new module and moving a Native asset to it (by removing from Native, adding to the newly created module). Say, a helmet. I added this item as a helmet in the newly created module and gave it an observable name. I can observe it in the game yet the thumbnails look fine. Can you reproduce this scenario with a single asset, or does it happen only when you add the whole module? I need to reproduce it but it doesn't seem to be happening on my side.

Thanks
Very nice that you are taking steps to try to solve this! Cheers!
I am not sure that a native asset will produce the bug, because it could be present in the compressed_shader_cache.sack even if you remove it from the Native module.
Can you try with a completely custom asset?
If this proves to be something that you cannot do, I am happy to put together a test module for you with a single item.

Back
Top Bottom