[Outdated] BRF Edit --out-of-date, see OpenBRF-- (last version 12/5/2008)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will wait until the next version comes out before I try and edit in BRFedit, although I am trying some things out in gmax:

The easiest way to do it is:

- Set up some actions in module_animations.py
- Run build_module.bat to generate the txt files
- Open skeletons.brf, then select the animation you want to edit.
- Export it to SMD, then edit it in max
- Import it back in.

When you say "Export it to SMD, then edit in max", do you mean gmax or 3ds max, or will it only work in 3ds max?

Hi !
Im have few questions , First - now (for 0.903 from BRF 0.85) may im make new skeletons ? Second  - new skeleton animation ? ( Ofcouse and integate it in game  :lol: )

YES or NO ???? Pleeese  :cry:

If Yes, that programs in need ? 3dsmax, Milkshapes or samething ?

Sorry for annoying , im rest more 4 months  :lol:

ps How soon relize new grate programm BRF Edit ?  :roll:

I just can't get scabbard models to work. :sad: I get the same error that some TLD scabbards give when you draw the weapon (i.e. the game doesn't like the 2nd frame):
argh.jpg

I don't understand, all I do is take my model, export it, then select the handle in vertex mode and scale it down to 0.01%, and export again, then import each frame separately, but apparently, "this mesh does not seem to match the base mesh!".
These are my export settings in Wings3d:
settings.jpg

I've tried using Tesselation set to 'None' and just triangulating it in face mode first, aswell. I've tried un-checking the stuff about uv-coordinates and normals, etc., but then BRFEdit gave me a different error instead. It's really annoying me, because I'm absolutely certain that all I've done in between the two frames is scale, I've made sure of it a ridiculous amount of times.
What's annoying is that it looks fine in BRFEdit, it just crashes the game with that error when you draw the weapon. I don't understand it at all. I'm using the new version of Wings, if that helps. Anyone got any ideas? :smile:

EDIT: Solved, I scaled the hilt too small, BRFEdit/Wings obviously took it out on somewhere in the export/import process.

jik said:
A couple more quick pics.  Made a 2 legged dragon (ok, it was quick and I didn't want to waste time trying to make the front legs work...  nor did I have time to apply the texture I made... I just wanted to see it run) to see how much I could possibly vary things. 

Unfortunately it kind of hops along when runing...

can i use that dragon in my mod pleaze?

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been able to release an update in a while.  I've been rather busy, and still am...

I have a bunch of other hobby projects as well as this one, and unfortunately M&B related ones aren't at the top of the list right now, even if I did have the time.  I will try to get back to M&B soon, but it probably wont be for at least a month or more (but you never know, sometimes I get the urge to spend a weekend coding M&B stuff :wink: )

MAXHARDMAN: In theory, the next version of BRFEdit may allow you to create skeletons, however M&B still doesn't fully support multiple skeletons.  You will be able to use anything which can export to SMD format (So yes, Max, Maya, milkshape or whatever you like).

Thanks for the info Thor  :wink:. I haven't been that active recently because of my school exams anyway. I checked out your latest version of the map editor the other day though, nice work!

I know what you mean Thor. M&B urges are always there, but not always over the pile.
I can only hope and pray you'll be feeling M&B coding urges soon enough.

Can wait to put my hands on the brand new, polished and shiny version 0.8.4 BRFEdit.
*skips around like a child about to enter a candy store*

Anyway. Thanks for showing up to keep us up to date...

Cheers,
-Stefano

Thanks for the update, Thorgrim.

Thorgrim said:
MAXHARDMAN: In theory, the next version of BRFEdit may allow you to create skeletons, however M&B still doesn't fully support multiple skeletons.
I thought it did? Oh well, maybe next time. :sad:

Question:

When you say M&B doesn't fully support multiple skeletons, what exactly does that entail?  What will work and what will not, and how does one go about causing the "what will work" things to work?

For example, the hopping dragon in the previous pictures ... does he overwrite the horse skeleton, or is he built on a horse skeleton?  What does that do to the hit-boxes ... do they follow the skeleton, or the model, or what?

Hum... I have no idea if 0.903 supports entirely new skeletons. And if it does, I don't know if BRFEdit can handle them.

Anyway, last time I dared to try it, I had to use one of the existing skeletons and added the new skeleton over it.
So you end up with two overlapping skeletons and you rig characters to either one. The answer to your question is: you should combine your new skel to the native one, and re-import it into the game over the existing one (native characters will still find the old bones, so they won't complain).

I'll be experimenting with this stuff on the next weeks and I'll probably return to this topic for help so let's see how things currently are. :wink:

Cheers,
-Stefano

Stefano said:
Hum... I have no idea if 0.903 supports entirely new skeletons. And if it does, I don't know if BRFEdit can handle them.

Anyway, last time I dared to try it, I had to use one of the existing skeletons and added the new skeleton over it.
So you end up with two overlapping skeletons and you rig characters to either one. The answer to your question is: you should combine your new skel to the native one, and re-import it into the game over the existing one (native characters will still find the old bones, so they won't complain).

I'll be experimenting with this stuff on the next weeks and I'll probably return to this topic for help so let's see how things currently are. :wink:

Cheers,
-Stefano

You doing the new trolls for TLD?  I hope so.

Watch the hit-boxes.  We need to know if they perform right.

zenler said:
jik said:
A couple more quick pics.  Made a 2 legged dragon (ok, it was quick and I didn't want to waste time trying to make the front legs work...  nor did I have time to apply the texture I made... I just wanted to see it run) to see how much I could possibly vary things. 

Unfortunately it kind of hops along when runing...

can i use that dragon in my mod pleaze?

I doubt you can. First of all, that skeleton was made in version .751, and way back in 2006. Also, JiK is never on the forums anymore, so don't expect a response.

I am using the 8.3b

Edit: Problem solved. DIdn't knew about load mod textures. Only knew about resources.

Hi all,

Sorry, but chances are I might not be updating this until M&B 1.0 is out.  Armagan has been further changing the skeleton format, so any work I do on getting the current format working, is likely to be thrown away once we get the 1.0.  And in any case. 0.903 doesn't fully support custom skeletons yet anyway.

I may try to get 0.8.5 to a more usable state, but to be honest I'm not sure if I'll even have time for that.

Thorgrim said:
I may try to get 0.8.5 to a more usable state, but to be honest I'm not sure if I'll even have time for that.
0.8.5 is already great. I had no problems at all with changing some animations.

I imagined you'd be waiting for M&B v.1.0 anyway - seems the most sensible thing to do. I have plans for a mod, but I decided there's no point starting with the bulk of it now until the final version of the game is released (which isn't too far away now).

You don't expect us to write you a complete manual for the editor, do you?
Add some detail to your question. For example: "How do I download it?" or "How do I import a model?".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom