[Outdated] BRF Edit --out-of-date, see OpenBRF-- (last version 12/5/2008)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm having those same errors that Fei Dao got at the top of the last page, but the version before this latest release works fine, and you can do all the essential things.

Highlander said:
Llew2 said:
Looks like no mods till this gets fixed.  :sad:
Oh, you can do pretty much everything besides animation stuff and horses with the newest editor.
I'm having the white textures bug.

EDIT: Well, downgraded to an older version and have the errors again, but it seems to be working despite them.

I know that it is not so kind in any way to ask you when we get version which will  support skeletons and animations, but my animals have really strange behavior of back right leg. I am a little sad about this.  :cry:

Of course, I would like to thanks you for all versions which I used. :grin:

Guys, am I right in that no one has been able to use this version with .960? I tried merging a BRF I had made for.903 with one of the .960 ones as well as using the .brf on its own in the resources folder of my module. In both case, the game hangs up on loading the module.ini (the load resources reference is at the same point as in the .903 version). I'm thinking there's something about the new brfs that the editor isn't tackling...

Spanky said:
Guys, am I right in that no one has been able to use this version with .960?

I have a fully working mod for 0.960 with stuff that was made for over two years. So you are not right.
However it's true that the newest BRFedit is incredibly buggy.

Spanky said:

I get 3 or 4 long error messages while loading, then windows suddenly becomes so incredibly laggy that nothing else can be used and I can't shut the loading Editor off.
After that an error messages would come up every 30 seconds, plus windows is being lagged down by ten times or so.

I have no choice but to shut down the computer physically.

The old brfedit had worked perfectly for me, but as soon as I updated it was impossible to finish loading.

I've always had issues with brf edit.

I always get "unable to open module.ini" when I open up brf edit, and in this newest version, I also get "unable to open mb.fx"

The newest shaders in the game aren't working for me, all the newest weapons turn up pitch black. They work in game though.

I can't open old brfs. This is getting on my nerves.

Tul said:
Spanky said:

I have a fully working mod for 0.960 with stuff that was made for over two years. So you are not right.
However it's true that the newest BRFedit is incredibly buggy.

Cool, that's great to hear. Can you give me any pointers? I.e.

1. Did you run into any problems? How did you solve them?

2. How are your brfs organized? Is it just one single brf with all the new models?

3. Where is the reference in your module.ini? Do you use load_mod_resource or the regular load_resource?

Any tips would be helpful. Thanks.

1. Did you run into any problems? How did you solve them?
Yes, I had some problems. While loading textures and meshes I got tons of errors but after saving, they were succesfully converted into a new version and I didn't get errors anymore. The bigger problem was with materials, they weren't working at all so I had to build a new BRF. That was simple and boring job but again, after that point I didn't get errors anymore. Flags for materials and poly painting still don't work but it's a job that can be easely done in future.

2. How are your brfs organized? Is it just one single brf with all the new models?
I have rather huge brf, it's almost 10Mb right now. However I also converted brfs of my teammates that were much smaller. All of them are bulilt as the tutorials said. There is nothing special in them.

3. Where is the reference in your module.ini? Do you use load_mod_resource or the regular load_resource?
I use 'load_mod_resource' and it is put where it should be: below 'load_resource'.

It looks that I am a lucky man.

Ok, so I just uploaded a minor patch.  It should add support for loading older BRFs.  This should make the porting process a little easier for some of you.  Note that it will still only save in 0.950 format, so you cannot really use it for creating mods for older versions of M&B.

Also note that this is again a very quick fix.  At the moment I can only manage to spend maybe an hour or 2 every couple of weeks working on M&B projects, and although some people may not realize it, it takes quite a lot of time to keep something like BRFEdit up to date.  Especially when you consider that I have no source code to know what the BRF files contain.

It is also kind of unfortunate that I got half way through re writing most of the rendering engine, and then ran out of time.  So yes, there are lots of bugs, and some features that don't work at all, and I apologize for the delay in getting things sorted out.

Thorgrim said:
Ok, so I just uploaded a minor patch.  It should add support for loading older BRFs.  This should make the porting process a little easier for some of you.  Note that it will still only save in 0.950 format, so you cannot really use it for creating mods for older versions of M&B.

Also note that this is again a very quick fix.  At the moment I can only manage to spend maybe an hour or 2 every couple of weeks working on M&B projects, and although some people may not realize it, it takes quite a lot of time to keep something like BRFEdit up to date.  Especially when you consider that I have no source code to know what the BRF files contain.

It is also kind of unfortunate that I got half way through re writing most of the rendering engine, and then ran out of time.  So yes, there are lots of bugs, and some features that don't work at all, and I apologize for the delay in getting things sorted out.

Damned. So it may be a while till it is as polished as .83b was  :sad:

Alot of thanks though for putting forth the time to make the many BRFs and map editors throughout the years. Mods wouldnt be where they are today without them.

E.

(edit)
Seems to be running pretty smooth so far. looks good

Thorgrim said:

Awesome.  Before it took me hours to get a few models ported.  Thanks Thorgrim.

Edit:  If anyone is having troubles with the viewing area, be sure to delete the old 0.8.9 version and not install over it (install to a fresh folder), otherwise there are problems.

Thorgrim ! You Gratest Man !

We all know You very hard work !  Keep it UP ! We wait  :wink:

New BRF Edit ! Awesome !  :grin:

ps I not have scary errors with 0.890 too  :roll: Only very small bugs  :lol:

Spanky said:
Guys, am I right in that no one has been able to use this version with .960? I tried merging a BRF I had made for.903 with one of the .960 ones as well as using the .brf on its own in the resources folder of my module. In both case, the game hangs up on loading the module.ini (the load resources reference is at the same point as in the .903 version). I'm thinking there's something about the new brfs that the editor isn't tackling...

I use the old version of brf editor and the very samething happened to me always sofar. :sad: Maybe it has nothing to do with the brf editor.

Here is the whole deal guys:

I suspect that there is a problem with the module.ini of version 0.960.I downloaded the module system and made some modifications and everything worked fine.However when I attempted to put my items.brf file at under the resource folder,and when I entered the line:

load_module_resource = zeph_items

at the module.ini file...

When loading and when the game processing the module.ini file I got an assertion failure error.The textures are at the correct places.Everything is in place but the game just does not accept my brf file.I've checked if it was anything wrong with the brf file for the game to prevent from loading.. However the test worked fine.. At version 0.903 the game was able to load,and when processing the module ini no problem occured.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Am I missing something? Currently I can't add any items.Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom