[Outdated] BRF Edit --out-of-date, see OpenBRF-- (last version 12/5/2008)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dain Ironfoot said:
Was just about to mention that, hehe.

Well it's looking very promising :grin:.. played with it a few days ago but went arg... now there are fellow modders wrestling with these problems also.... hehehe I can't wait for the final version... now to fiddle with skeletons..

One question, is it possible to move the root dummy? I tried to make the mesh sink below ground level but it just seemed to stay in one place.

IIRC I haven't enabled root bone translation yet.  I'll make sure its supported in the next release though.

What can we do with the skeleton.brf? It opens the horse and human skeleton, I could rotate some bones but I have no clue whatsoever what it does or how far I can go... when trying to save, and then load again I got an default brf edit error. .  :eek:

Sorry for this ood question but...
If lets say for example I make an animation for the guy to become a ball (he just couch and put his hands over the head)
then if I shot whit an ak-47 where his head should be if he is istanding should I hit him?
in other words
do the animation affect the hitbox?

Servitor said:
What can we do with the skeleton.brf? It opens the horse and human skeleton, I could rotate some bones but I have no clue whatsoever what it does or how far I can go... when trying to save, and then load again I got an default brf edit error. .  :eek:

Are you using 0.8.5?  rotating bones probably wont work.  Only thing which has been re implemented is SMD importing, and even then it probably a bit buggy (which is why I havent updated the first post - this is not an official release)

DarkAnd said:
Sorry for this ood question but...
If lets say for example I make an animation for the guy to become a ball (he just couch and put his hands over the head)
then if I shot whit an ak-47 where his head should be if he is istanding should I hit him?
in other words
do the animation affect the hitbox?

Yes, rotations of the bones in animations should effect the hitbox.

Thorgrim said:
Servitor said:

Are you using 0.8.5?  rotating bones probably wont work.  Only thing which has been re implemented is SMD importing, and even then it probably a bit buggy (which is why I havent updated the first post - this is not an official release)
Ah, No. I used 0.8.3, I just downloaded 0.8.5, thanks!  :eek:

This program is a God send! I just installed version 8.5 (backed up my PC though, cos you say you haven't tested it yet  :smile:). Thanks Thorgrim!

There is a question I'd like to ask though - I want to try and modify some animations:
(you said)
You can however do some basic animation stuff, though its rather annoying to use.  To do so, load a skeleton file, then bind a mesh to it (such as an armour mesh) via the "Bind Mesh" button, so you can view the animations.  You should then be able to import an animation from an SMD over the selected action as before.  This, combined with the module system should let you modify / add animations without too many problems.

I imported the skel_human.smd that came in the editorData folder, and then did the Bind Mesh thing (with an armour mesh from the Eagle and Radiant Cross). You then said to import an animation from an SMD over the selected action as before, but I didn't quite understand that. If anyone could tell me where to go in order to do that I'd be greatly appreciative (what tools to press and which folder I may find the SMD in).

Have a nice day all  :grin:

Unfortunately, I cannot get the new version of BRFEdit to work.

When I try to start it, I get this error.

"This application has failed to start because d3dx9_29.dll was not found."

Any ideas?

You need directx9 installed, even if you have Vista.  Newer or older versions will never overwrite directx, they will only add to it, and you must be missing _29.  Have a look in your windows\system32 folder, you should have quite a few d3d___ files.  I have d3dx9_24.dll to d3dx9_35.dll in my Vista install, as well as the DX10 ones.
Either install whatever dx9 versions you can find (not necessarily the newer ones), or you could install d3dx9_29.dll directly, from a place like this: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?d3dx9_29

Thank you very much Talak. BrfEdit will now run.

Now to try and make some new animations....

To make new animations or modify existing ones for a human, do I use the skel_human.smd? I don't know if that is where I am falling down, because when I import that into BRF edit, nothing shows up in the skel tab.

:cry: I'm so far behind you guys!

I found a big text file in the BRFedit folder, which lists all the animations you can have, but I still need to find how to load them into BrF edit. For now, I'll assume we need to load the skel_human.smd file, since it is the only skeleton file I can find anywhere. I click on the skel tab on the right hand side, click import and then navigate to the skel_human.smd file. Is this right, and can I only see the bones when I bind a mesh to them? Or better yet, is there a readme file or tutptial somewhere?

Have a nice day all.

The easiest way to do it is:

- Set up some actions in module_animations.py
- Run build_module.bat to generate the txt files
- Open skeletons.brf, then select the animation you want to edit.
- Export it to SMD, then edit it in max
- Import it back in.

Here is a little bit of an explanation from the front post (Back in 0.7 when SMD importing was added)

Importing an SMD with a animation sequence selected will attempt to import the animation sequence to fit the current sequence.  The user can select if they want to import new frames, new poses, new bones etc.  This feature is still a little buggy.  Some poses will not import correctly, however simple ones such as walk/run cycles etc should work ok.
Note that only bone 0 may move over time, any other changes in bone position over time will be ignored, however you can import reference bone positions.  Note however that this will change the bones position for ALL animations, not just the one you are importing (This is a limit of the BRF format, not of BRFEdit).
- A user may also import new bones for the current skeleton.  The first frame (and last if the "Last frame ref" checkbox is ticked) will be used as the reference pose (frame 0, and frame 100000), and other poses will be imported as usual. 

Like I've said, 0.8.5 was just a test release.  It is un-finished, so I won't really be supporting it too much... your kind of on your own for now :wink:

Now 0.900 is out though, I'll try get the new version of BRFEdit finished soon.

Hmmm... In the new .895 brf Edit, I can't even view the skeletons. I open up the skeletons brf file in commonres, and if I click on an animation, nothing shows up.

You need to bind a mesh to view the animations.  It may be worth just waiting, or if you really want to try animations, then read the my post from a page or 2 back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom