[Outdated] BRF Edit --out-of-date, see OpenBRF-- (last version 12/5/2008)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fujiwara said:
As far as I know, there is no other way of making BRF files, period. The entire modding community is deeply indebted to Thorgrim for building BRFEdit.

You can create new BRFs with some hex editing, like we did in the Olden Days, but I don't think Lurb's model importer works with these new-fangled BRF formats.

Either way, BRF editing is not a pleasant experience without BRFEdit. Mind you, I believe Armagan said he'd release his own BRF tools, but I haven't seen them so far.

Mysteriously,
Winter

Fujiwara said:
I guess I was looking to see where a list of available shaders would be. I only know a few by memory (agent_shader, iron_shader, shiny_shader, tex_mul_color, tex_mul_color_alpha). mb.fx doesn't seem to list those by name.

Ah, yes, forgot to mention - the core shaders are still there, they are just in core_shaders.brf now.

BRFEdit still supports changing them (or at least viewing them, I haven't actually tried changing them in a while)

miclee1 said:
Dangit.... How do I make .brf files without this for .892?

Any reason you can't use BRFEdit?

Sounds like you haven't set something up right.

If you go File > Settings, you should be able to correct the M&B path in there... and like Buxton said, it should work with most resources from 0.892 (except animations, and you wont be able to save skeletons, as with 0.80:cool:

Do you mean you want to texture a single model, or you want to use a model twice by having a different texture on it (so you have two different weapons)?

Buxton said:
Well, when loading up, it says can't open module.ini

It's the "unhandled exception" error

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at brf.ResourceCollection.find(ResourceCollection* , basic_string<char\,std::char_traits<char>\,std::allocator<char> >* name, list<brf::Resource \*\,std::allocator<brf::Resource \*> >* resources)
   at brf.ResourceCollection.get(ResourceCollection* , basic_string<char\,std::char_traits<char>\,std::allocator<char> >* name, Int32 type)
   at BRFEdit.Form1.resetDisplay()
   at BRFEdit.Form1.renderScene(Boolean initIt)
   at BRFEdit.Form1.updateMeshes()
   at BRFEdit.Form1.meshList_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
BRFEdit
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2563.42077
    Win32 Version:
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/BRFEdit/BRFEdit.exe
msvcm80
    Assembly Version: 8.0.50608.0
    Win32 Version: 8.00.50727.42
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_0de06acd/msvcm80.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.198 (QFE.050727-1900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Contiue, quit, it just exits.   :neutral:

I had the same problem....but after a lil while I got it!!!!
Go to file->settings and make sure the path thing is set to the right mod, did the trick for me anyway! :grin: hope it works for you too!
If it does I WILL be expecting a cheque hahahha

:smile: so...Thorgrim, how's it going? :smile: :grin:
I'm not asking for a release, I hate it myself when other people do it.
But since you've said "a few weeks " and it's been some time ago, I was just thinking I'd ask :smile: Any news on other cool features the next BRFedit has?

I have some ideas about modding animations and all that so I'm really waiting for the new BFRe with great anticipation :smile:

Yes, sorry about the delay.  It could be a while until a fully working version is ready, as I haven't actually found any time at all to work on it in the last few weeks, and might not for a couple of weeks yet...

In the mean time you can try this version: http://members.iinet.net.au/~dstent/mnb/BRFEdit-0-8-5.zip

It's not really an official release though, as much of the functionality from 0.8.3 is now broken (I'm 1/2 way through re writing a lot of it).

You can however do some basic animation stuff, though its rather annoying to use.  To do so, load a skeleton file, then bind a mesh to it (such as an armour mesh) via the "Bind Mesh" button, so you can view the animations.  You should then be able to import an animation from an SMD over the selected action as before.  This, combined with the module system should let you modify / add animations without too many problems.

I have done pretty much no testing with this version though, so chances are quite a few things are broken... so use it at your own risk :wink:

Let me know how it goes if you do try it, as it might save me some time bug hunting when I get back to it.

Well as I mentioned to Yoshi a few days ago, it'd be great if we could bind weapons and shields as well as headwear etc.. that'd be handy for viewing animations.

EDIT: Scratch what I said above, just created a new anim despite skeleton weirdness... w00t.

Ah yes... binding anything except Head and Body items will look rather wrong.  It doesn't mean the bones are messed up or anything... I just haven't got around to aligning hand / foot items correctly (so don't bother with them for now).

Was just about to mention that, hehe.

Well it's looking very promising :grin:.. played with it a few days ago but went arg... now there are fellow modders wrestling with these problems also.... hehehe I can't wait for the final version... now to fiddle with skeletons..

One question, is it possible to move the root dummy? I tried to make the mesh sink below ground level but it just seemed to stay in one place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom