Druzhina

Sergeant Knight at Arms
In this modern plate by Dr Chris Flaherty:
cache_41478674.jpg

the "Spahis" are based on:
teaserbox_37712296.jpg

and:
cache_37894781.jpg

These are from Plates dated 1805 from an album labelled: Vorstellung der vorzuglichsten Gattungen des Türckischen Militairs und ihrer Officiere in The Vinkhuijzen collection of military uniforms, NYPL

Although two of these plates are copied from:
The Great Lord in ceremonial dress for the day of Beiram, after Jean-Baptiste Vanmour (Van Mour), 1671-1737 and Sadrazam, the Grand Vizier, in Ceremonial Dress and Turban, after Vanmour which date to circa 1699-1708, there is nothing to indicate that others date to anything other than 1805.

index.php

This uncropped version has a caption that indicates it is a Deli (scout), so not a sipahi.

For Ottoman Sipahis that are c. 1700 see:
Sipahi or Turkish Cavalryman after Jean-Baptiste Vanmour (Van Mour), 1699 to 1708
A battle between the Ottoman and Hungarian armies, Hamse (quintet) of the Ottoman Turkish poet and scholar 'Ata'ullah bin Yahyá 'Ata'i
copied and illustrated by Heyrullah Heyri Çavuszade in 1721AD

Druzhina
Illustrations of Ottoman Costume & Soldiers

samuraiantiqueworld said:
Druzhina said:
A battle between the Ottoman and Hungarian armies, Hamse (quintet) of the Ottoman Turkish poet and scholar 'Ata'ullah bin Yahyá 'Ata'i, copied and illustrated by Heyrullah Heyri Çavuszade in 1721ADUnder this image it says
This folio from Walters manuscript W.666 depicts a battle between the Ottoman Turks and the Polish Army
...is this the Hungarian or Polish army?
Hi samuraiantiqueworld,
Well spotted! It is the Hungarian Army. I have failed to edit that line when copying from the Ottoman Turks Fighting the Polish Army, Hamse (quintet) of the Ottoman Turkish poet and scholar 'Ata'ullah bin Yahyá 'Ata'i, copied and illustrated by Heyrullah Heyri Çavuszade in 1721AD.
I will fix it. Thanks.

Druzhina
Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

Druzhina said:
samuraiantiqueworld said:
Druzhina said:
A battle between the Ottoman and Hungarian armies, Hamse (quintet) of the Ottoman Turkish poet and scholar 'Ata'ullah bin Yahyá 'Ata'i, copied and illustrated by Heyrullah Heyri Çavuszade in 1721ADUnder this image it says
This folio from Walters manuscript W.666 depicts a battle between the Ottoman Turks and the Polish Army
...is this the Hungarian or Polish army?
Hi samuraiantiqueworld,
Well spotted! It is the Hungarian Army. I have failed to edit that line when copying from the Ottoman Turks Fighting the Polish Army, Hamse (quintet) of the Ottoman Turkish poet and scholar 'Ata'ullah bin Yahyá 'Ata'i, copied and illustrated by Heyrullah Heyri Çavuszade in 1721AD.
I will fix it. Thanks.

Druzhina
Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

Thanks, that is a great image, the large amount of firearms shows why armor lost its importance although you still see Ottomans with spears and bows, the severed heads are a nice touch!

I cleaned it up a bit.

Ottoman Turks Fighting the Polish Army
This folio from Walters manuscript W.666 depicts Ottoman Turks fighting the Polish army.
Author: Atai (Uzbeki, died 1044 AH/AD 1634)
Scribe: Khayr Allah Khayri Jawush Zadah
Date: 1133 AH/AD 1721 (Ottoman)
Material: ink and pigments on laid paper
Dimensuins: H: 8 1/4 x W: 6 1/8 in. (21 x 15.5 cm)
Place of Origin: Turkey
2320921115e89fe036ab85d0d5760848.jpg

Back
Top Bottom