B Other [OSP][Anim] Animation Variety Mod

Kentucky James VII

BioAfrikaner
Duke
Best answers
1
One of the weakest parts of mount and blade are the animations. They look so weird and robotic. So I decided to make use of amf_use_cycle_period and give a little variety to some of the running animations.​

//Warning: the following text discriminates against mods where most troops have shields//

This was designed mainly with large, pike/sword formations in mind, where seeing the same animation is the most jarring.
Pikemen no longer hold their pikes at a crazy, unsafe angle, but straight up. Swordsmen no longer run with their swords flapping around, but show a bit of caution.
I also changed the cavalry and idle musket animations, but they'll be optional.​

So without further ado, the videos:




I've still got some tidying-up work to do regarding the way these animations behave. I'll fully release it once that's done.​
 

Rigadoon

Count
M&BWBWF&SNW
Best answers
0
Those are some amazing animations. The cavalry ones look especially nice. However, the new swordsman stances look a bit strange. Sidestepping isn't really an efficient way of getting across the battlefield.
 

spyczech

Sergeant
Best answers
0
I actually like it, because he's stepping with the correct foot for the style of saber fighting I think he was going, leading with the opposite foot. For long travel it could be inefficient though I guess.
 

Scuba Steve

Master Knight
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
0
I really like the cavalry and pike ones. Sword ones seem just a tad bit awkward (and I've never had much of a problem with native's one handed sword running animation).

Now if only someone would do a Thirty Year's War mod... maybe I might have to take that task on myself, but first I need to get better with the module system.

Thanks for sharing.
 

Parrot

Knight
WBNWWF&SVC
Best answers
0
Finally my quest to add as many varied animations as possible can continue...

Fantastic work!
 

Veli-Matti

Master Knight
WBNW
Best answers
0
Nice work on the pike animations, however I have to agree with the other people here about the sword running animations, they do look pretty weird.

Also I couldn't help but notice that these animations seem to be inspired from the awesome Total War game: Shogun 2? :smile:
 

Kentucky James VII

BioAfrikaner
Duke
Best answers
1
VonTawast said:
Nice work on the pike animations, however I have to agree with the other people here about the sword running animations, they do look pretty weird.

Also I couldn't help but notice that these animations seem to be inspired from the awesome Total War game: Shogun 2? :smile:
they were, aesthetically it's second only to LA noire for how satisfying the animations look. I tried something like this ages ago but it failed because I didn't understand the animation headers.

Thanks for all the feedback, as a result I've changed the sword animations so that they face forward.
 

Parrot

Knight
WBNWWF&SVC
Best answers
0
jacobhinds said:
they were, aesthetically it's second only to LA noire for how satisfying the animations look. I tried something like this ages ago but it failed because I didn't understand the animation headers.

Thanks for all the feedback, as a result I've changed the sword animations so that they face forward.
Nice! Can't wait for this to come out.

Now you could always do some varied firearm animations. All the other ones knocking about always seem a bit awkward...

 

Kentucky James VII

BioAfrikaner
Duke
Best answers
1
Sadly i can't differentiate between polearm and firearm running animations. However I've done a few which break the monotony of standing line infantry by making them look around, cough etc.
 

Parrot

Knight
WBNWWF&SVC
Best answers
0
jacobhinds said:
Sadly i can't differentiate between polearm and firearm running animations. However I've done a few which break the monotony of standing line infantry by making them look around, cough etc.
And for this, you are now my most favourite person on here ^^

Edit:
There might be a way to add a sound to your coughing animations using "arf_make_custom_sound", if I get time later I'll have a look into that as well
 

mike56

Master Knight
WBNWWF&SM&BVC
Best answers
0
Awesome, you are great. I need to see those animations of the troops looking around and so.
Is there any way of implementing this OSP to our mods without using the new swords animations?
 

gokiller

Count
WBWF&SM&BVCNW
Best answers
0
Great work!

Shouldn't this be in the development board though considering it's a OSP? (even though WIP)
 

Kentucky James VII

BioAfrikaner
Duke
Best answers
1
Parrot said:
might be a way to add a sound to your coughing animations using "arf_make_custom_sound", if I get time later I'll have a look into that as well
I've looked into that too, along with ramrod sounds for musket reloading. there are already some unused yawn/cough sounds in native that don't sound like vikings with laryngitis. however it'd involve a trigger that would call for every agent every second, and i'm not sure how that'd affect performance.
I'm also hoping to make infantry walk in formation when given a move order rather than running wildly. I could even tie it to battle morale and make them less likely to break. as above, though, it seems to dent performance quite a bit.

mike56 said:
Is there any way of implementing this OSP to our mods without using the new swords animations?
simple, just omit any animations you don't want from the code. I'll only post the lines i've changed, so it's up to you to pick the ones you'll want.
I've changed the sword animations anyway. I'll upload a video when I get the time.

gokiller said:
Shouldn't this be in the development board though considering it's a OSP? (even though WIP)
Oh yeah, forgot about that. move away, admins :smile:
 

spyczech

Sergeant
Best answers
0
I'm telling ya man pre battle orders & deployment has really well done formations and morale.