SP - Battles & Sieges Option Loot Towns and Castles.

Users who are viewing this thread

I think it would be a cool game mechanic if once an army conquers a town or castle they have the option to plunder it the same way we can raid small settlements. I don't like that I am forced to occupy or own a town or castle once I take it as sometimes it may be strategically undefendable being days across Calradia from my own territory. I think that if we are given the option it would add more to the campaign experience. I think Lords and Kings should be more likely to occupy conquered castles that are near their borders rather than, lets say Sturgia being forced to occupy Aseri holdings in the south that they have no way of keeping or reenforcing. I think this can really work in Bannerlord and would really have a positive and interesting impact on the gameplay and map.

What are yours thoughts on this? Think it would work or would it break the game with raids and stagnant gameplay?

If any Devs are reading, is this something you have at one point considered or tested? If so what were the results?

This would be another of the mechanics that are "missing" and should be part of Bannerlord seen as a natural evolution of the franchise. I sorry for the salty touch but in VC after beating the enemy of a population center we have the options of:

Conquer: You or your faction will be the new owner of the settlement.

Plunder: The owner of the settlement wont change. You dont get the settlement. But you will get some money and destroy the prosperity of this place a little bit. You should choose this option if you simply want to plunder this place again and again.

Devastate:same like plunder but you get more money, more slaves and you will really ruin the prosperity of this settlement. This is something like a "scorched earth policy".

1Id5MI2.jpg

I believe that this type of mechanic, brought to Bannerlord, would due to wonders where the traits, reputation, influence, settlement statistics, economy, etc... where dancing in harmony.

This would be another of the mechanics that are "missing" and should be part of Bannerlord seen as a natural evolution of the franchise. I sorry for the salty touch but in VC after beating the enemy of a population center we have the options of:

Conquer: You or your faction will be the new owner of the settlement.

Plunder: The owner of the settlement wont change. You dont get the settlement. But you will get some money and destroy the prosperity of this place a little bit. You should choose this option if you simply want to plunder this place again and again.

Devastate:same like plunder but you get more money, more slaves and you will really ruin the prosperity of this settlement. This is something like a "scorched earth policy".

1Id5MI2.jpg

I believe that this type of mechanic, brought to Bannerlord, would due to wonders where the traits, reputation, influence, settlement statistics, economy, etc... where dancing in harmony.
I forgot that it was in VC!

Yes, please.

Just let me scoop and loot the whole town market.
I think if we are able to take the whole town inventory that may be a bit game breaking as well as not entirely realistic. For example one cool thing I think another thing to consider or implement is the longer towns and castles are sieged the less supplies they have to give. Think of it this way, sieges take a heavy tole on food rations, after those are gone soon the horses and livestock begin to plummet. As for non edible resources, weapons and armor may go down because they armed the garrison and milita and were perhaps damaged in the defense. Hard wood would have gone to the defenses, silks, cotton and textiles would have gone to nursing wounded. Not to mention if it were a real siege, locals and lords would have time to hide their valuables away from the invaders.

So I think that time sieging should obviously have something to do with how much loot you receive but perhaps to counter this the players roguery skills can help them acquire more plunder with perks and level. Either way I think this could add much more interesting gameplay.

No matter how hard the lords and ladies try to hide their valuables, it's in the castle somewhere, so it should be capable of being plundered. It's not like they all have secret, unfindable hidey holes for loot ready to go in case of an invasion. Just like most people don't have a go bag and a quick exit route planned, Lord and Lady So-and-So are almost certainly not thinking that the wolf is at the door; instead, they're walking around thinking no one would be so bold as to raid their keep.

+1
I remember in Viking Conquest there was a scene where we appeared with our soldiers and we could attack the civilians in the city.
I would give three options:
Leave the city intact, useful if we want to occupy it.
Enslave the population (Money for us)
Letting our soldiers loot the city, similar to the Viking Conquest scene (Depending on how many civilians we kill we will have more loot for us), but in general this would help our soldiers regain morale, especially if we don't have money to pay them.

Imagine if you can devastate personally (after the winning) with all the desperate people running everywhere... burning everything... ?
And you could plunder by going in the hall opening the box (full of gold) and looting the market.

Last edited:
I'd add the ability to clean out the settlement entirely and destroy everything so that we could make way for your own culture if you wanted. The new colony could be a poorly developed settlement to compensate.

I can't believe that ideas with a lot of details that look like the Bible get attention by the staff, instead, simple and clear ideas like this don't. But if you read the Callum's post guide for ideas, he asked to be concise and go straight to the point. ?‍♂️ But most of the times, they ignore posts like this.

Definitely yes.

I was thinking of writing a suggestion that this is part of. My suggestion is, after a battle is done, the player can salvage the battlefield, this takes time, like raiding a village, but if the player can take his time he gets better loot, however if the player really needs to get out of there, then he gets very little loot. It always seemed silly to me to snipe enemy Lords, get all the prisioners, get all the loot and get out of there while an enemy army is just time frozen 100 meters away in the campaign map.

Same for Cities, looting them should take time, quite some time, but it should be very profitable, it should also depend on the amount of fit soldiers the Player has. Of course that the AI needs to be able to deal with this otherwise the Player can exploit it so much its insane. And of course, the whole hauling system needs a rework, the herd and cargo must give much much higher speed penalties so that a Lord escaping with loot can be easily intercepted.

Definitely yes.

I was thinking of writing a suggestion that this is part of. My suggestion is, after a battle is done, the player can salvage the battlefield, this takes time, like raiding a village, but if the player can take his time he gets better loot, however if the player really needs to get out of there, then he gets very little loot. It always seemed silly to me to snipe enemy Lords, get all the prisioners, get all the loot and get out of there while an enemy army is just time frozen 100 meters away in the campaign map.

Same for Cities, looting them should take time, quite some time, but it should be very profitable, it should also depend on the amount of fit soldiers the Player has. Of course that the AI needs to be able to deal with this otherwise the Player can exploit it so much its insane. And of course, the whole hauling system needs a rework, the herd and cargo must give much much higher speed penalties so that a Lord escaping with loot can be easily intercepted.
A few mods in warband did this to an extent but I cant remember what ones. Pretty much they gave you the option to scavenge the battlefield and collect weapons and the dead. A few also had the option for you to burry your dead as well as the enemy dead. Doing either of these granted your party a small moral boost for treating fallen comrades with respect as well as an honor boost for showing respect to fallen adversaries. All the options had pros and cons with them and it was a pretty fun mechanic in my opinion. Kill 4 looters? No need to bother picking through their pockets or even burry them, move on. Kill 200 enemy soldiers and a lord? You had better take the time to scavenge the field and give the lord, his men and your fallen men the respect they deserve with an honorable burial, the nobles of Calradia will respect that for sure.

Either way, Its something I would like to see brought back in.

Definitely yes.

A few mods in warband did this to an extent but I cant remember what ones.
Yep. AWoIaF mod had this (among other features) which is/are sadly absent in Bannerlord. There were different kinds of looting after field battles that took different amounts of time depending on how thorough your plundering was. This directly correlated to the amount of loot you received. It was a small touch that just happened to add so much more to strategy on the world map.

Back
Top Bottom