Open University / Being a mature student

Users who are viewing this thread

-Peter-

Master Knight
Anyone have any experience of this that they can pass on?

I'm currently considering an Open University course as an investment for a potential career change. I'm 27 now, and I'm a self employed tradesman, earning decent money but not necessarily happy in what I do, nor is it a job I can realistically do when I'm 55+. I'm fortunate that my work is completely flexible as I control my diary so can study full time.

I'm in two minds on taking a course on something generic with more job opportunities, or taking a Classical Studies course which I believe I'd genuinely enjoy, but may be limited in terms of opportunities.

Looking for some wisdom from those who have had similar experiences, would be great to hear from anyone who has studied through Open University.

Would this course mean a great financial investment for you? I'm a student at a regular university studying Classics and my experience is that although I love it, it's definitely not something that could lead to job prospects. That can feel a little dismaying once you realize you've put a lot of time and money into it. You can always read academic books on your own and there are even lectures from prestigious universities available for free on Youtube.
On the other hand, if it does turn out not to lead to job opportunities, you still have your trade and I wouldn't say the time and money would have been wasted. I don't know how those open university programs are so I may not be giving the best advise here, just sharing my thoughts anyway. Good luck whichever thing you go for.

Hmm how much flexibility is there in OU degree courses? You might be able to study a more employable field but tailor it to your interests. Potentially do a joint honours.

Big Bad Pent said:
Hmm how much flexibility is there in OU degree courses? You might be able to study a more employable field but tailor it to your interests. Potentially do a joint honours.

They're very flexible with how long you can take to complete the courses, but recommend 32-36 hours per week to complete a course in 3 years, so two may be a little ambitious for me, as I do need to work around 20 hours a week in order to pay bills etc.
Definitely an option to do another straight after though, since SFE couldn't care less about loaning people money for courses.

I gather what a lot of people do is go in to teaching after these kind of courses, so that is the generic option.

National Founding Figure Respecter said:
Would this course mean a great financial investment for you? I'm a student at a regular university studying Classics and my experience is that although I love it, it's definitely not something that could lead to job prospects. That can feel a little dismaying once you realize you've put a lot of time and money into it. You can always read academic books on your own and there are even lectures from prestigious universities available for free on Youtube.
On the other hand, if it does turn out not to lead to job opportunities, you still have your trade and I wouldn't say the time and money would have been wasted. I don't know how those open university programs are so I may not be giving the best advise here, just sharing my thoughts anyway. Good luck whichever thing you go for.

It wouldn't no, it would only really mean taking on less work, which wouldn't really bother me. The sole reason I want to do it is because the prospectus is pretty much a list of everything that interests me, as it probably would a lot of people on here! I do get what you mean though, but on the other hand if you do find a job related to your course, it'll certainly be more rewarding than if you were to study something generic such as Business, which has great prospects, but not in particularly interesting jobs.
What year are you in to and how are you finding it? What have you studied through your course?

I can't speak about being mature, but I did go to open university. The only reason though was that I didn't get into regular university at first, had to finish my bachelors degree studies in history at open university first.

I'm not so sure if completing random bits and pieces here and there is going to be of any benefit to you; I don't know where you live, but I imagine just completing courses in classics isn't enough to give you any kind of authority or enough professional knowledge to be allowed to teach for example. That probably varies from topic to topic and country to country though.

Comrade Temuzu said:
I can't speak about being mature, but I did go to open university. The only reason though was that I didn't get into regular university at first, had to finish my bachelors degree studies in history at open university first.

I'm not so sure if completing random bits and pieces here and there is going to be of any benefit to you; I don't know where you live, but I imagine just completing courses in classics isn't enough to give you any kind of authority or enough professional knowledge to be allowed to teach for example. That probably varies from topic to topic and country to country though.

The idea is that it can be a gateway to more options. Primary school for example requires a degree, then 1 year teaching training. Secondary I'm not so sure.

kurczak said:
What's the "job opportunity" option?

Businesses most likely - I run a small business now and would probably help expand, or take a different path. I was due to study sports coaching when I was younger, but decided that was too limited (bit of a regret), and was offered a lot of grants when I was younger and healthier!

I've enrolled on the course anyway, if not just for my shear interest in the subject, will just be an expensive hobby  :smile:

Back
Top Bottom