Open Post: Armagan, We Could Use A Video Update Addressing Our Concerns

Users who are viewing this thread

@D0c1 This is the post that originated that sentiment and what you are truly looking for.

The game leans more on the action RPG side, with just elements of strategy sprinkled in here and there. The video in the OP is great, and I think that it is awesome that people are making these types of mods and that the game supports them, even at this early stage, but I think that something along those lines would be too complex to use as a player and draw the game out too much, ultimately detracting from the fast-paced action and gameplay.
Callum did respond to complaints about his comment with
I wasn't speaking on behalf of the company when I said that my take on Mount & Blade games, in general, is that they are more action RPG than strategy (which is arguably true). But that's not to say that I think siege battles should be over in 3 minutes either. I would personally prefer more drawn out engagements for both sieges and large field battles.

Last edited:
@D0c1 This is the post that originated that sentiment and what you are truly looking for.

Callum he did respond to complaints about his comment with
are you sure? warband didn't have the complex formations shown in the video nor the AI to control it. i think they're talking about something else.

I think at this point we can all more or less tell that the vision of the decision-makers for this game deviates quite noticeably from that of the hardcore community. I am afraid there is nothing we can do but to accept that fact.
This is not new to the gaming industry. Companies make games to make money, and better sales does not always have to rely on better game design or gameplay. (For instance, EA's the Sims series. The Sims 4 is a major downgrade from the previous title in terms of depth and gameplay, but it's more user-friendly, more beautiful and more accessible, so it's a great business success, or cash grab.)
Luckily, for the hardcore community of M&B who prefer in-depth game design and immersion, we have a very talented and dedicated modding community. I would argue that TW has created a beautiful world and platform with great potentials. I would like them to fix the bugs, optimizations, and some AI behaviours that modders cannot easily modify, and just release the game without worrying about all the 'missing' and promised features. Let the modders realize all those potentials This is probably the best win-win situation we can hope for.

I think at this point we can all more or less tell that the vision of the decision-makers for this game deviates quite noticeably from that of the hardcore community. I am afraid there is nothing we can do but to accept that fact.
This is not new to the gaming industry. Companies make games to make money, and better sales does not always have to rely on better game design or gameplay. (For instance, EA's the Sims series. The Sims 4 is a major downgrade from the previous title in terms of depth and gameplay, but it's more user-friendly, more beautiful and more accessible, so it's a great business success, or cash grab.)
Luckily, for the hardcore community of M&B who prefer in-depth game design and immersion, we have a very talented and dedicated modding community. I would argue that TW has created a beautiful world and platform with great potentials. I would like them to fix the bugs, optimizations, and some AI behaviours that modders cannot easily modify, and just release the game without worrying about all the 'missing' and promised features. Let the modders realize all those potentials This is probably the best win-win situation we can hope for.
Yeah thats not enough for me, also if true it needs to come from TW mouths (preferably Armagan). If all they were going to do is build a modding base then they should not be charging the game for a AAA game. The game deserves to be a finished game that doesn't require mods. That doesn't mean they shouldn't still be working on providing modders the tools they need to create full conversion mods. But it's not an excuse for them to release the game in an unfinished state.

I like the game, I like running in map trading and selling looters, the battles aren't bad, so, I spend some time with it.
But the game have no soul, we can marry a character, execute her mother or father and she remains a devoted wife in our party. It's a small detail but shows how the developers are not at all interested in deepening the game, any character in the game is completely free of "feelings", I can execute their worst enemy that their reaction is exactly the same as the best friend of the executed would have.
The game does not cause any empathy with any of the characters, they are all exactly the same, for me this is the worst defect of the game, it has hundreds of characters and none creates any emotion to the player, good or bad, for the simple fact that they are only dolls, both in appearance and in actions.

So, Taleworlds, please finish the game, and let the modders do what you don't want to do.

Yeah thats not enough for me, also if true it needs to come from TW mouths (preferably Armagan). If all they were going to do is build a modding base then they should not be charging the game for a AAA game. The game deserves to be a finished game that doesn't require mods. That doesn't mean they shouldn't still be working on providing modders the tools they need to create full conversion mods. But it's not an excuse for them to release the game in an unfinished state.
If you ever happen to look upon the OG M&B forums sometimes Armagan would casually throw out this line "any feedback, that would help to develop the game, is always more than welcome." Or something close to it times certainly have changed but by then M&B was nothing compared to now.

I know. This is not enough for me either. But I am afraid this is just the situation we are in and we need to make the most out of it. I don't think we can actually get what we want from Armagan, one way or the other. They are a real business now, so the best you can get is probably just 'We will always put our players' interests in the first priority and try our best to improve the game' in EA style.
About the price, consider it a price tag for a AAA modding base. You don't just pay for the game, you also pay for the mods. And I believe TW will expand on that business models and incorporate many mods. So expect a lot of authorized paid projects like Viking Conquest.

I like the game, I like running in map trading and selling looters, the battles aren't bad, so, I spend some time with it.
But the game have no soul, we can marry a character, execute her mother or father and she remains a devoted wife in our party. It's a small detail but shows how the developers are not at all interested in deepening the game, any character in the game is completely free of "feelings", I can execute their worst enemy that their reaction is exactly the same as the best friend of the executed would have.
The game does not cause any empathy with any of the characters, they are all exactly the same, for me this is the worst defect of the game, it has hundreds of characters and none creates any emotion to the player, good or bad, for the simple fact that they are only dolls, both in appearance and in actions.

So, Taleworlds, please finish the game, and let the modders do what you don't want to do.

This is exactly how I feel as well; same can be said for walking around towns, castles & settlements. Its great that you can see the sceneries with the new graphics but beyond that its just an empty shell. All the NPCs say the same dialogue & give the same 3-4 quests; nothing you do or say affects the world which makes it feel very shallow. I took a 6 month break from this game in hopes that things would improve during that time and though the game does feel more smooth because of all the bug fixes & optimization improvements; there's little to no improvement when it comes to depth and that's truly a shame. At this point Bannerlord is a good game, but like some here have pointed out I want it to be great! But to me it seems like the devs aren't willing to shoulder that burden anymore & are leaving it to the 'work for free' modding community to do that.

With all that said I think its only fair that we do have an official update from the decision makers themselves when it comes to roadmap going forward as to the outlook for Bannerlord. That's really not much to ask for.......

I'm not sure that even if we get to speak to the manager we will get any kind of straight answer - we'll get told they'll continue to support and develop Bannerlord even after an unspecified release date and they hope they will make everyone happy and, by the way, mexxico is going to get gagged so you'll learn of less reasons to be disappointed with the manager.
Then Callum will add that they hope you'll enjoy this great action RPG game with lightning quick battles with no confusing ballast like strategy. :party:

I'm not sure that even if we get to speak to the manager we will get any kind of straight answer - we'll get told they'll continue to support and develop Bannerlord even after an unspecified release date and they hope they will make everyone happy and, by the way, mexxico is going to get gagged so you'll learn of less reasons to be disappointed with the manager.
Then Callum will add that they hope you'll enjoy this great action RPG game with lightning quick battles with no confusing ballast like strategy. :party:
You said it my dude

This.

*and now for another froggyluv Bannerlord = Arma analogy*

After Operation Flashpoint, the developers over at Bohemia had huge dreams of fully dynamically destructible buildings and environments for Flashpoint 2 (later changed to Arma). They used to show us lots of dev blogs that looked amazing with tanks blowing out exact polygon chunks of buildings you could then strategically enter. They also told us of soldiers who react, who taunt the player and with an AI so advanced it would be hard for the player to beat on AI soldier.

They genuinely tried to pull it off -but the technology just wasnt there yet. It froze NASA computers to 1-3 fps and they had to abandon ship and streamline waaaay down to just basic pre-fab destruction. The Bohemia forums went into revolt when Arma1 was released not dissimilar to what we see here. Whats different was the Bohemia devs all the way up to the 2 brothers who started it used to have a very friendly and regular dialogue with us, their community. We were all upset but a few imo toxic posters took it way to far and the Bros disappeared into the backround, letting the forum moderator handle all questions rather than devs. They also stopped promising anything really except things they absolutely knew they could implement like the AI micro-pathfinding for Arma 2. Nowadays they have an almost adversarial relationship with their own community as they just consider all of us "dogs who bark at the passing circus" (their words)

All that said -these are also just the times we live in and the new status quo for game building (indie small titles exempted) - they will look at profit and bottom line numbers and keep moving despite the howling minority on the forums. The ONLY thing that would change this course would be either a change of heart from the top, or an extremely loud criticism of the brand -kinda like what has happened to Madden 2021 EA sports. Gamers banded together demanding that EA stop charging premium dollars for basically an updated roster from year to year so that game has like a 1.0 outta 10 stars on Metacritic. If this hits their bottom line -then they'll change. Shame it has to come to that tho

All that said -these are also just the times we live in and the new status quo for game building (indie small titles exempted) - they will look at profit and bottom line numbers and keep moving despite the howling minority on the forums. The ONLY thing that would change this course would be either a change of heart from the top, or an extremely loud criticism of the brand -kinda like what has happened to Madden 2021 EA sports. Gamers banded together demanding that EA stop charging premium dollars for basically an updated roster from year to year so that game has like a 1.0 outta 10 stars on Metacritic. If this hits their bottom line -then they'll change. Shame it has to come to that tho
I can't remember the last time when a big company actually cared about metacritic, or review bombing.

I can't remember the last time when a big company actually cared about metacritic, or review bombing.
Paradox with Imperator, they showed the dev blogs about the game before release and part of the community was happy about the graphical upgrades while the other part was seeing past those and saying the game looked bland, boring and didn't bring any innovations making it look more like a reskin or mod for EU4;

The game was released and after a while more and more of the community changed their stance once they saw how bland (and full of bugs) the game was and started to complain;

The lead dev basically said "shut up peasants, this is my vision for the game and i know best";

The community started to complain louder and louder, review bomb on steam and badmouth the game around the internet which led to lower number of active players and lower sales due to the game going mostly negative on steam;

After a while the lead dev finally got down from his high horse, acknowledge the complaints of the community, said it was his vision still but aparently not what the players wanted so they would do their best to improve it and listen to suggestions;

Few months later the updates started to roll out implementing more and more suggestions by the community and interesting new systems that pleased everyone, the game finally recovered from the bad reviews and started to achieve it's potential being a much better game nowdays.

They only ended up caring because the complaints became so loud it started to affect their gains but still it happened and was for the best, the game is very good right now and one of my favorites.

Well its having an effect - EA (Electronic Arts) had had an exclusive license for NFL games yet the fans have been clamoring for a competitor namely the NFL 2k series (last one was 2005). The NFL has finally listened to the outcry and are taking EA's exclusivity away in the next couple years. Thats a big deal.

Well stated, my friend. I don't recall wishing Bannerlord would be an RPG lacking many strategic aspects for future development.

Except I am being attacked? For saying I like the game. What a joke. What an actual joke. This has gone from one of the best communities to one of the worst.

I am SICK of not being able to talk positively about a game I enjoy on the OFFICIAL FORUM FOR THAT GAME.

Attacked? Hoy **** dude. How soft are you? I didn't say kick you off the forums, I said stop commenting here - as in this post. Soft and dramatic is not a good combination of qualities. Wow. I'm just amazed at how much of a snowflake you are, on a video game forum.

This is not trolling either, i'm appalled at this human's softness.

Attacked? Hoy **** dude. How soft are you? I didn't say kick you off the forums, I said stop commenting here - as in this post. Soft and dramatic is not a good combination of qualities. Wow. I'm just amazed at how much of a snowflake you are, on a video game forum.

This is not trolling either, i'm appalled at this human's softness.
You once deleted your account here because someone said something slightly off-kilter to you.

+1
dicaprio.gif

That is what is most likely to happen ? ? . Technically at a business level, Bannerlord is a sales success (several planets have aligned, M&B fan phenomenon + pandemic confinement + >8 years of waiting + modding possibilities...etc) ... However, I repeat again (I've already spoken at length about this, I'm stepping aside to get other people's opinions) is Bannerlord the game we've all been waiting for?

---
AxiosXiphos

I'm not going to delve into the debate, but imagine if no one had complained about the block delay, the ice skating effect and the long list of problems within the closed alpha-beta process (June 2019 - March 2020), what game would you have now?

There are things about the game that are fine, without going any further I who "am one of the criticisers" have always had good words and praise when things have been done well. However, criticism MUST be part of the creative process; constructively of course.

But to state outright that the game is perfect or that it is a worthy successor to the previous instalments is highly questionable; it is an opinion and therefore worthy of respect; however allow me to strongly dissent.

For the phoenix to rise from the ashes, first it must burn.

Back
Top Bottom