Only first character matters

Users who are viewing this thread

Ok so I had a long playthrough. Started in 1.5.0 continued till 1.5.6.

My first character died of old age when he was 58 but up to that point I've built a decent clan. Vassals of Vlandia with 3 castles, town, 4 workshops and a caravan. My brother and sister died in battle but I managed to recently find a bride for my second brother. I have 2 parties on the map except my own.

After my main char died I was angry cause I had to take over as his wife. She died 4 years later in battle and now I took over as oldest son.

After playing a while I came to a conclusion that it doesn't matter who inherits. It only matters how You progress Your clan as first character cause if You built up enough wealth your skills stop being important and You can easily continue with totally noob character without any drawbacks.

What do You guys think? Those who went that far with their playthroughs.

That depends really since this one time I got beat up 2 times lost everything and then died but I still had to work a bit after but yeah if you die and you're already strong it doesn't matter

I play it like crusader kings as a dynastic simulator and somewhat agree with you, what matters is the dynasty, if you lose one character and go to the next at max you'll be worse in a few skills you liked or "lose" a companion/party leader/governor that you'll have to compensate to maintain the power you previously had, i like it this way and use the pacemaker mod to make time pass a bit faster so the dynastic play is more prominent both for the player clan and AI ones, the default pacemaker's settings of 7 days season/21 days a year is a much better pacing than the vanilla one in my view.

I play it like crusader kings as a dynastic simulator and somewhat agree with you, what matters is the dynasty, if you lose one character and go to the next at max you'll be worse in a few skills you liked or "lose" a companion/party leader/governor that you'll have to compensate to maintain the power you previously had, i like it this way and use the pacemaker mod to make time pass a bit faster so the dynastic play is more prominent both for the player clan and AI ones, the default pacemaker's settings of 7 days season/21 days a year is a much better pacing than the vanilla one in my view.
I do a similar sort of thing except I use pacemaker to increase the speed at which days pass (which also makes the world feel bigger) rather than reducing days in a season.

It's not such an unrealistic thing for the heir to power and fortune to have an easier time than the one who gained it. If they have inferior skills etc. it should be more difficult for them to maintain it though, maybe rebellions and stuff like that might make it harder.

I also use a mod which makes relationships exist between individuals rather than whole clans so when you die as a ruler it can cause disloyalty amongst vassals.

For me the game lack a really important mechanic for dynastic playthrough. I mean that no-one in Your clan has any objections to whoever You appoint as an heir. In my case when I appointed my wife it should give the risk that my brother will leave the clan or something.

I also feel the lack of culture switching for settlements. If You rule a settlement for 50 years without loosing it the culture should switch to your own.

For me the game lack a really important mechanic for dynastic playthrough. I mean that no-one in Your clan has any objections to whoever You appoint as an heir. In my case when I appointed my wife it should give the risk that my brother will leave the clan or something.

I also feel the lack of culture switching for settlements. If You rule a settlement for 50 years without loosing it the culture should switch to your own.
Would be awesome to have intrigue and feuds between clans of the same kingdom and even inside the clans themselves, first thing necessary for this is that each person have independent relations instead of following the clan hivemind.

It could improve gameplay and storytelling inside the game a lot like your character dies with two sons who don't like each other so they split the clan into a civil war for succession or the second son realize he doesn't have enough support to force his claim to lead the clan so he leaves alone or with a few members who pass a check to support him and found his own cadet branch of the clan with bad relations with the original clan making them try to screw you over just in spite whenever possible, the possibilities are endless!

Last edited:
What do you mean she died? Can player controlled character die?

If You have death and aging enabled Your character can die of old age or in battle. When he/she died You have a prompt to choose who inherits.

Would be awesome to have intrigue and feuds between clans of the same kingdom and even inside the clans themselves, first thing necessary for this is that each person have independent relations instead of following the clan hivemind.

It could improve gameplay and storytelling inside the game a lot like your character dies with two sons who don't like each other so they split the clan into a civil war for succession or the second son realize he doesn't have enough support to force his claim to lead the clan so he leaves alone or with a few members who pass a check to support him and found his own cadet branch of the clan with bad relations with the original clan making them try to screw you over just in spite whenever possible, the possibilities are endless!

The thing is they have individual relations cause when my first died relations changed to the ones my wife had and after she died I had 0 relations with all other clans.

So, I can't die in battle or is just more harder too?

If not I hope they implement that, death of old age or disease for main character is just too silly

I want die in glorious conquest in battle :fruity::fruity:

Well game does not have inheritence system. It would be great that you need to choose heir early in game and when you die heir is choosed by voting between your brothers/sisters by other clans. Then maybe you do bot inherit but you can rebell and lead army against your brother.

Now that would bring totally new and exciting late game content.

What do You guys think? Those who went that far with their playthroughs.

You're right; it doesn't matter. The only thing I missed was the advantage of high-level Scouting, Riding, Stewardship perks, but even then I didn't really need to actually cry over them; my armies were basically the same size, same speed and same effectiveness, so I could blitzkrieg-siege towns like before.

And since TW maintained the old Warband-style "You must siege down every last goddamned settlement" that's all the end-game consists of.

You got one point, M&B is still a RPG game, where character build is a core concept, it's not like CK3 or something that you can build a character within 1 hours and let him die and chose a Heir to continue(well, even in CK3 it is possible to make new generations better than elder generations). In M&B we build our first character for at least 50 hours till him pass, if we lost him entirely, that means our 50 hour's character builds are wasted, just image you managed to get your 2H to 270 and being a blademaster by killing thousands of people, and when you passed all those kills mean nothing in this savegame, if you don't cheat.

I think there should be a feature to ensure the normal pass of your character being a good news instead of a bad news, it's easy to be done. Just give next gerenation more potenial, and faster learning rate, so you gain more joy by building your second character, as:
- You are building a new fresh character
- You know this new character will be stronger than your first character
- You build new character faster than former character

Back
Top Bottom