One Month To Go and I Have Cold Feet

Users who are viewing this thread

People are worried the direction its going. Maybe read the beta section

I haven't seen many people in the beta section wringing their hands about the lack of advertising. I understand that there are a number of perfectly valid concerns people have about the beta. That's not what we're talking about here. Here we're worrying about the possibility that the early access build might not be a completed game.

The early access build is not a complete game, that's have been said already. No kingdom creation and no crafting as far as I know are two major parts that will drop as future content into EA and will be missing in March. Correct me if im wrong.

I don't know where you have the information from then. People on the beta section of the forums knows its going to be an early access.

Its mostly probably because people are out of touch with the game and don't seem to even care to read the steam page saying clearly its early access or the dev blogs.

The early access build is not a complete game, that's have been said already. No kingdom creation and no crafting as far as I know are two major parts that will drop as future content into EA and will be missing in March. Correct me if im wrong.
%100 correct. Also, no rebellions as well as other omitted features. It certainly will not be a "complete version" of Bannerlord in March.
Here we're worrying about the possibility that the early access build might not be a completed game.
The real concerns (I think) are how complete, how buggy, how (possibly) dated; and ultimately how enjoyable it will be.

However, when all is said and done I believe Emil had it right when he said:
the worst case scenario is that this turns out to be a graphically upgraded Warband
Personally, I (and others) still play Warband mods. So... if were being pessimistic: "worst case scenario" plus increased moddability... I think that would be very satisfying on its own. But, if we're being optimistic... let your imagination take you where you want to go on that.

Personally, I (and others) still play Warband mods. So... if were being pessimistic: "worst case scenario" plus increased moddability... I think that would be very satisfying on its own. But, if we're being optimistic... let your imagination take you where you want to go on that.
I was kinda neutral when stating that, aka laisse-fairez. I believe what I can see with my own eyes, that's why I tend to not fall into the hype trap where rumors and suggestions turn fact and real before there's evidence. As you said, there's possibilities with mods. I quickly scrolled past a file named monsters, so we might even get non-humanoid enemies (aside from horses) or an ease to implement different-looking skeletons.

I don't worry about the game not getting the tools since TW repeatedly implies we're going to get an improved map editor and expanded mod tools as well as showing proof of this, but not having them in the initial release is an ignorant move by TW to force everyone to play like they want us to play, and not how we'd like to play. It's going to hurt the community if it's long-term.

Last edited:
I quickly scrolled past a file named monsters, so we might even get non-humanoid enemies (aside from horses) or an ease to implement different-looking skeletons.
This, I like.

not having them in the initial release is a [bad] move by TW to force everyone to play like they want us to play, and not how we'd like to play. It's going to hurt the community if it's long-term.
Agreed.

but not having them in the initial release is an ignorant move by TW to force everyone to play like they want us to play, and not how we'd like to play. It's going to hurt the community if it's long-term.

I might agree if this were a full release but I understand not having official mod support while the game is still in development. The EA is likely to be buggy, there are likely going to be frequent updates, and TW will likely be struggling to keep up with trouble shooting. An active mod scene would complicate things. Creative Assembly didn't have mod support for Total War Three Kingdoms at launch for that reason. As excited as I am for mods, I get TW wanting to be able to focus on their own bugs before introducing the complications that come with modding.

I am very excited for the EA but I still get the feeling looking at everything they have put out that TW has a vision on how the game should be played. I just get the feeling we are going to go into the game expecting Warband but better but it will be Bannerlord not better, not the same, but different and this will disappoint a lot of players.I am excited either way but this expectation of a better Warband should stop.

Alright, I feel like I need to chime in because it seems like my initial post has been slightly misconstrued in places. So let me clarify a few things.

Here we're worrying about the possibility that the early access build might not be a completed game.
The early access build is not a complete game, that's have been said already. No kingdom creation and no crafting as far as I know are two major parts that will drop as future content into EA and will be missing in March.

Nobody and I mean nobody should be under the impression that when Bannerlord releases into Early Access that it will be a complete game. That's not what Early Access is. We expect bugs, crashes, computers catching on fire, the whole nine yards and then some. I said the Early Access may be undercooked meaning that it could be undercooked even for early access.

It is not modders job to fix a broken game. We pay full price to a company that offers us a product and we expect the best from them. Modders can fix the AI, modders can add that, add this... Thats not how it should be, modders are the ones to add additional features to the game, not to fix existing ones.

Not really sure how this came up since I talked about AI briefly and it was so far from my main point, but it's definitely not the modders job to "fix" anything. Modders expand, complicate, refine, and build an entirely new game. But they shouldn't be held responsible to fix anything. If there is a glaring issue in a game, then it's the developer's problem to fix it. Because the thing about modders is that they build what they want, but not always what the game needs. So I like to leave that to the developer's vision of the game unless the developers have given up entirely.

So let me just sum my thoughts up with this. I do not believe Bannerlord will be bad, nor do I believe it will be good. I want it to be good. So when it's only a month until the long-awaited sequel to a game I loved and I don't see a lot of communication, announcements, release dates, prices, launch platforms, open beta's, significant stress tests, insider reviews, interviews, Gameplay snippets, hype videos, anything, the works. I get a little skeptical. Especially when the information trickled to us is shallow, and vague, and when we haven't had a huge info dump in 5 months.
.It's no excuse that Taleworlds is a young company or whatever, they are held to the same industry standards as everyone else. To deviate is considered odd behavior. Now, this is all probebly just my skeptical mind. Maybe everything is fine, Maybe they've done a large test session with moderators, family, and friends. Maybe they aren't saying anything as a surprise and are diligently working for a March 31st release into Early Access and Taleworlds will flood us with information then. I can only hope that is the case. But what is see now is, the beta is buggy, runs poorly in high population servers, poor response times, lag, AI issues, etc. There have been no announcements, hype, communication of any form other than the dev blogs and when they rarely respond to our questions on the forums. So all I'm saying is if we don't hear anything soon, maybe the early access isn't ready. Because thats fine. I want it to start out on the right foot, a strong foot. If Taleworlds needs more time for feedback, and testing, and developing, then take it. Just tell us what you need, or anything, at all. I find the lack of communication troubling, but I know that's how Taleworlds rolls, not that it's a good excuse. So that it. Hears to hopefully hearing loads more in February!

The issue is managing expectations. I can already see the unending line of unoriginal ironic videos mocking the game for its flaws the day after release, even though it's early access. A good way to avoid that is to set the price right for the content and polish offered - even "ironic" youtube "creators" who churn out these compilation videos on a factory line will look ridiculous bashing a correctly priced early access title for not being not early access. The other way is to not overhype the game and be accurate in PR material (especially the trailer - the thing most potential customers will see) - better that people know what they're getting into and the game gets organic growth than have a permanent stain of being (supposedly) irrevocably broken.

I agree with what you say, but i just want to point out where you contradict yourself claiming that EA is not a complete game.

So when it's only a month until the long-awaited sequel to a game I loved...

Our long awaited sequel is very far from near. I believe the only reason we are getting EA in a month is because player's need something to keep their interest going and the lack of info dumps is probably because even TW knows it's nowhere near the final build.

Alright, I feel like I need to chime in because it seems like my initial post has been slightly misconstrued in places. So let me clarify a few things.

Nobody and I mean nobody should be under the impression that when Bannerlord releases into Early Access that it will be a complete game. That's not what Early Access is. We expect bugs, crashes, computers catching on fire, the whole nine yards and then some. I said the Early Access may be undercooked meaning that it could be undercooked even for early access.

Not really sure how this came up since I talked about AI briefly and it was so far from my main point, but it's definitely not the modders job to "fix" anything. Modders expand, complicate, refine, and build an entirely new game. But they shouldn't be held responsible to fix anything. If there is a glaring issue in a game, then it's the developer's problem to fix it. Because the thing about modders is that they build what they want, but not always what the game needs. So I like to leave that to the developer's vision of the game unless the developers have given up entirely.

So let me just sum my thoughts up with this. I do not believe Bannerlord will be bad, nor do I believe it will be good. I want it to be good. So when it's only a month until the long-awaited sequel to a game I loved and I don't see a lot of communication, announcements, release dates, prices, launch platforms, open beta's, significant stress tests, insider reviews, interviews, Gameplay snippets, hype videos, anything, the works. I get a little skeptical. Especially when the information trickled to us is shallow, and vague, and when we haven't had a huge info dump in 5 months.
.It's no excuse that Taleworlds is a young company or whatever, they are held to the same industry standards as everyone else. To deviate is considered odd behavior. Now, this is all probebly just my skeptical mind. Maybe everything is fine, Maybe they've done a large test session with moderators, family, and friends. Maybe they aren't saying anything as a surprise and are diligently working for a March 31st release into Early Access and Taleworlds will flood us with information then. I can only hope that is the case. But what is see now is, the beta is buggy, runs poorly in high population servers, poor response times, lag, AI issues, etc. There have been no announcements, hype, communication of any form other than the dev blogs and when they rarely respond to our questions on the forums. So all I'm saying is if we don't hear anything soon, maybe the early access isn't ready. Because thats fine. I want it to start out on the right foot, a strong foot. If Taleworlds needs more time for feedback, and testing, and developing, then take it. Just tell us what you need, or anything, at all. I find the lack of communication troubling, but I know that's how Taleworlds rolls, not that it's a good excuse. So that it. Hears to hopefully hearing loads more in February!

My reply wasn't directed to you but to Floyd. He said modders can fix the AI, which I think is a wrong perspective to look at a game that hasn't been released yet.

I am expecting a reasonable amount of issues and I wouldn't be surprised if TaleWorlds is aswel. It's impossible to test everything in a sandbox game without having a lot of people playing it. However, I think the overall experience, even with the bugs, will be great. But only time can tell.

Just remember to save a lot.

Last edited:
Bannerlord single player will succeed without even thinking about it. The moddability has a major impact in games. Skyrim which was a genuinely bad game has amazing mods to this day, and it's not the easiest game to mod (other than model/textures etc). Bannerlord's EA will miss a few features but they will come, I have no worries about the single player, at all.

Back
Top Bottom