ON HOLD - Pike & Blade Merged v3.3.2 (Needs to be updated to 1.143/DP 4.1)

Users who are viewing this thread

possum said:
after downloading the mod i have only one question:

what have you done to the horses?

some feel like lame cows (speed 33 manouver 25  :shock:) while other are so fast that it looks ridiculous (speed 60) on the battlefield, its like watching a movie at double speed.

i think you wanted to point out the diference between the cheap and the expensive horses but i would say thats to much. a minimum speed of 40 and max of ~55 should be better, they are at least horses.
Seconded

Kogara said:
Now, if you'd like, you can revert these changes, but I wouldn't suggest it as it part of the balance changes. Simply copy all the horses (not including tourney' or training horses) from the item_kinds.txt file from either native or diplomacy (preferably diplomacy, don't know if anything was changed there) and replace the ones in the merged versions item_kinds.txt, your horses will then go back to native stats (or if Waihti changed something without me knowing, back to Waihtive...eh-heh)

What if I'm just unhappy with the fact that they all look like they have a quilt draped over them?

Also how do I get my own Heralded armor and shields to show up more? And how do I get plate armor to show up again? I know it's still in there, I've seen it, it's just never in the inventory at the stores.

Lol, you're welcome to your opinion on the horses but the person you quoted later came around to liking them I think. Either way I suggest you give them a chance and try to get use to them, they are technically a part of the balance. But again, feel free to change them back.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the mod.

Kogara said:
Lol, you're welcome to your opinion on the horses but the person you quoted later came around to liking them I think. Either way I suggest you give them a chance and try to get use to them, they are technically a part of the balance. But again, feel free to change them back.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the mod.

i got used to them, nothing more :wink:

...after i made the battlemap bigger otherwise a charging anamy would have reached me after a few seconds (khergits)

anyone playing khergits in this mod? i tried it but i think they are unplayable due to their horses and the small maps. they just need to long to find their place in a formation and with the fast horses the enemy often reaches me before my troops could prepare themself.

i already made the maps bigger but it is still very hard, currently i play as a rhodok. now i have enough time to set up my lines.

Its been two weeks now since I started playing this mod, and its been awesome, I mean the troop balance here is really great!

Yo kogara, is there any way you can add more features to this one to make it more cool? Like a commander feature perhaps? or that entrenched mod?

any case, thanks for this mod and keep up the good work.  :grin:

@Possum: Sorry you feel that way. I've played as them a couple times and never really felt like I had a problem, the only reason I don't play them more is because all cavalry gets on my nerves. That and I prefer heavier troops for siegeing.

I'm not sure how you're using them tactically, but I always keep in mind that they're basically one big shock troop army, the lancers and the like charge in and do as much damage as possible while the horse archers ride about picking off stragglers as well as flanking the main force. (Edit: To clarify, think of a shock troop like Sarranid Axemen, they do massive damage, but leave them sitting in a line formation and they're useless.)

I'd also suggest telling your charging lancers/etc to spread out once or twice, as they tend to bunch up right as they clash with the hostile forces, which wrecks a lot of the lancers couching. You'll have to observe them to see if this is an issue or not. Also, consider sending your horse archers way off to the side at the beginning, and then telling them to charge, this might keep them out of the main fight, and give them a better angle to start shooting from. (Sorry this is long, hope the spacing helps)

@Shadowrun_lucas: Glad you like it, and I have to agree lol. As for more features, I've thought about this before, and it would be neat to have a version with other things in it. That said, I'm not sure I can do that, for one I know that some of those mods have more complicated code then this, and I don't know how many mods I can put into one before they start overwriting each other, kinda just depends. Secondly, I doubt I'd have the time to maintain all that, and I hate to see projects become out of date.

I'm really hoping that Aeon221 and/or Waihti start adding more features instead. Waihti has already added a couple of neat things that are aside from diplomacy (Companion auto loot, damaged horse speed, battle continuation, etc.) and I know Aeon was talking about maybe doing more as well, that is if he ever gets back to working on this mod =\.

If things change, and/or if I find myself willing and able at some point, you guys will be the first to know lol.

In the meantime we'll make due with what we have and hope for more awesomeness to present its self. I know you want more added, and I can agree for the most part, but its just not in the cards for me right now, I hope everyone understands that, but I do apologize for the suckage of it all anyway lol.

is it possible to change the battle behavior in the nexxt update?

it would be great if my troops would stand still at the beginning of the battle instead of charge the enemy.

possum said:
is it possible to change the battle behavior in the nexxt update?

it would be great if my troops would stand still at the beginning of the battle instead of charge the enemy.

I don't even know where that code is located let alone what to change it to. Even if I did, I can't justify changing anything without good reason, and/or enough community backing. This is a merge of two separate mods, I am not the creator of either, therefore I am treating this as a community project, and less of a personal one.

In the meantime, if this is such an issue for you then learn to hold down F1 and drop a "Hold This Position" flag right in front of you at the start of the battle. This'll take you less then 3 seconds and will accomplish the same thing.

Edit: By 'learn to' I mean consider getting into the habit of doing so. - Reason for edit: I felt like I sounded mean....lol.

Thank you for the input, this is still under consideration. Read below why the above code is kind of irrelevant though.

The merging is done with Winmerge, so its completely .txt based, therefore there are no module-system based source files related to the merge specifically, assuming that's what you meant. That said, mission_templates is not touched by this merging process, so the source file from Diplomacy would contain the correct references if you were interested in doing so. Those are located Here.

Winmerge will be the method for merging indefinitely, Pike & Blade doesn't even have module system source files, so its kind of a non-option.

If you would like to find a .txt based fix for the "Hold at Start" 'issue', please feel free to post it on here, again, that way people can do it them selves, and it gives me the option of simply uploading a file related to this so people don't necessarily have to.

Thanks again, as I said early this is being considered a community project of sorts so everyones input is valued.

I wanna try this mod, but I would like to add some others [see below], are they compatible or am I better off without them ?

Utrehd's Music Pack v.0.8
Utrehd's Castle Pack v.0.32
Better Banners Mod
Arena Overhaul mod

Kogara, thanks for pointing me in the correct direction--I was unaware you merged the txt rather than the source. My previous post is largely irrelevant...I can remove that if desired.

I believe this will be a txt-based fix to make open field battles begin with your troops HOLDING, rather than charging. I've not tested it, however.

1) Open up mission_templates.txt
2) Search for "lead_charge" (should be around line 369)
3) Find the first line of code that begins with "0.000000 0.000000" (it follows a line beginning with "-19.000000 0.000000" and comes before a line that begins with "30.000000 0.000000"; around line 383)
4) Select that entire line
5) Replace it with the following:
Code:
0.000000 0.000000 100000000.000000  0  13 2133 2 144115188075856297 0 2133 2 144115188075856298 0 2133 2 144115188075856299 0 1 1 936748722493063617 1 1 936748722493063653 2133 2 144115188075856300 2 2133 2 144115188075857082 0 2133 2 144115188075857083 0 1700 1 1224979098644774912 1770 2 1224979098644774913 1224979098644774912 1107 1 0 1790 3 1224979098644774913 9 0 1107 1 1
6) Save and play!

EDIT: Updated to Diplomacy 3.3.2

Yamchu said:
I wanna try this mod, but I would like to add some others [see below], are they compatible or am I better off without them ?

Utrehd's Music Pack v.0.8
Utrehd's Castle Pack v.0.32
Better Banners Mod
Arena Overhaul mod

Utrehd's Music Pack is compatible, I have been playing with that music pack since it was released. It is one of the BEST music pack!!!!

Utrehd's Castle Pack is also compatible, Diplomacy and Pike and Blade has nothing to do with it. Last time I used it the AI didnt really know how to get past some of the castles.

Better Banners is also compatible, I am also using it :wink:

Arena Overhaul should be, I am not 100% sure.

Back
Top Bottom