On Families and Dynasties

Users who are viewing this thread

Congrats to Taleworlds for Ruwa! :party:

Now that we've been introduced to families in Bannerlord, let's have some fun and pick at what might we want to see in regards to them.

Families can and should offer a very interesting dynamic to the game that, as most of us can agree, we really didn't get with Warband. It would be interesting if marriages and family dynamics changed depending things such as faction.

Now that we've been introduced to children, maybe conception won't be the only way to carry on your players legacy. Perhaps we might be able to adopt. If you are a Battanian warrior who raises an Aserai son, it'd be neat to see how that changes the family legacy.

Another thing to consider is same-sex families. Especially when considering the Empire and it's likely Greco-Roman moral similarities.  :shifty:
Perhaps they will be an option for players, too?  :grin:

Mithril♡Souls said:
Congrats to Taleworlds for Ruwa! :party:

Now that we've been introduced to families in Bannerlord, let's have some fun and pick at what might we want to see in regards to them.

Families can and should offer a very interesting dynamic to the game that, as most of us can agree, we really didn't get with Warband. It would be interesting if marriages and family dynamics changed depending things such as faction.

Now that we've been introduced to children, maybe conception won't be the only way to carry on your players legacy. Perhaps we might be able to adopt. If you are a Battanian warrior who raises an Aserai son, it'd be neat to see how that changes the family legacy.

Another thing to consider is same-sex families. Especially when considering the Empire and it's likely Greco-Roman moral similarities.  :shifty:
Perhaps they will be an option for players, too?  :grin:

I hope I don't come off as a pedant jerk. But marriage in these time wouldn't be for love but primarily to get children to continue the family's legacy. So if we're using Greco-Roman morality it should be possible to have same-sex romances but marriage should not be possible.

But on a personal level I wouldn't mind same-sex marriages as that's how marriages are understood today.

There is one thing I'm curious about with children, and that is what will their nationality be. So far characters have their nationality displayed on their character screens and I'm not sure if it's ethnic or alliegance but I'd still be curious what nationality a mixed child, like Ruwa, would be.

Adoption doesn't seem like a bad idea, bonus is that you won't have to wait as long for your child to grow up.

You said that it would be interesting if marriages and family dynamics changed depending on things such as faction, would you care to elaborate on this. How would you like family dynamics to change?

Now despite the general widespread acception of homosexual relationships and marriage in the modern day I'm not really sure I want in the game. It would just sort of go against the medieval setting. Marriage was usually a business contract, and could be annulled if the couple failed to conceive along with some other reasons.

Not sure of the reason for a same sex relationship, the practical reason that is, but I have no problem with the idea of players having a same sex relationship.

Also I would rather stray from the Greco-roman morals, some of them are rather unsavoury. Especially the Ancient Greeks and some of their practices regarding youths, and the whole pederasty thing. Let's just say some things are better left in the past.

I suppose that when your character dies , your avatar switch to one of the  children of that character.
My concern is the new character level.
I hope we don't have to start anew , and that the child inherit some benefit from parent (basic trait ? a % of xp ?)

aerendhil said:
I suppose that when your character dies , your avatar switch to one of the  children of that character.
My concern is the new character level.
I hope we don't have to start anew , and that the child inherit some benefit from parent (basic trait ? a % of xp ?)

I don't now of any trait-like system in Bannerlord unless you're referring to perks {I forgot about NPC personality traits}

As far as I am aware there has no mention of a portion of the parent's experience being transferred. What has been mentioned is that we seem to be able to tutor and train children, effectively giving them experience.
"As she grows, we will be able to spend more time with her, interact with her, share our experiences and skills with her, and develop her into a fine young woman."

There is probably much more to be said about this topic, they said as much themselves, so we can speculate but we won't know for sure till later.
"We have plenty to talk about in terms of dynasties and how children will work as a feature in the game, but we will save that for a later date."
I can say however that it appears that you're new character, if that is how it works, would not be starting entirely from nothing as I mentioned earlier, we seem to be able to tutor children.

DeusPuppy said:
My Question is, will NPC lord get a randomly dynastie, too?

If it were not so, what would be the point of this functionality?

We have been told that the Lords act in the same way as the player, example: when recruiting, forming a clan, having companions, business ... etc..
I wonder what solution Taleworlds has thought so that the passage of time and the lineage system go hand in hand.

I hope player will be able to corrupt one lord's heir, or even better that we could bribe the heir against his father, the king of that faction. Coups, civil wars, divisions... Dynasty system opened the box with huuuge possibilities.

I really liked the innovations and so I would like to ask a few clarifying questions:

1) I wonder how the system of other children's claims to land and titles of their parents is implemented here? Can they fight each other for these titles?
2) Is there a possibility of blood feud with subsequent intrigues and rebellion?
3) Also interesting is it possible to kill children here? I respect the feelings of those who have children, but will the game really follow the brutal realities of the medieval?

Gurkhal said:
I hope I don't come off as a pedant jerk. But marriage in these time wouldn't be for love but primarily to get children to continue the family's legacy. So if we're using Greco-Roman morality it should be possible to have same-sex romances but marriage should not be possible.

But on a personal level I wouldn't mind same-sex marriages as that's how marriages are understood today.

Warband's marriages could go both ways, love or just purely political gain. It was up to the player which one you wanted, which was a really fun mechanic.

I think marriages should be possible for same-sex families simply for the fact that in Warband, and from what we've seen from Bannerlord, there is no overarching religion like Chritianity, so the anti-homosexual fervor wouldn't likely be as prominent in Calradia than it was in our own Middle Ages. :smile: 

AlexHBK said:
I really liked the innovations and so I would like to ask a few clarifying questions:

1) I wonder how the system of other children's claims to land and titles of their parents is implemented here? Can they fight each other for these titles?
2) Is there a possibility of blood feud with subsequent intrigues and rebellion?
3) Also interesting is it possible to kill children here? I respect the feelings of those who have children, but will the game really follow the brutal realities of the medieval?

The first two are interesting prospects, but I don't think three will be implemented. Killing children in video games is a big no-no across every single platform because of the blow back it'd receive. Even Crusader Kings doesn't let you kill heirs unless they are of-age.

In kcd Hans Capon is under a regent but still can give commands.

Adoption could just be persuasion.

Killing children isn't a problem. You can do without penalties in Deus Ex, but since bannerlord is a game about knights you should get a negative trait like in fallout.

Mithril♡Souls said:
The first two are interesting prospects, but I don't think three will be implemented. Killing children in video games is a big no-no across every single platform because of the blow back it'd receive. Even Crusader Kings doesn't let you kill heirs unless they are of-age.
Can't wait for the Berserk mod then.

About same sex marriage, well marriage would be weird anyways, I'm all for Carladia being Carladia and being totally separated by reality, but letting the game in such a medieval setting having two men/women marrying wouldn't fit quite with its current Lore, yet, like you said Greco-Roman morality had allowed the secrecy of homosexuality between those nobles and stuff, so I'm just repeating what you all said

Lord Engineer said:
You said that it would be interesting if marriages and family dynamics changed depending on things such as faction, would you care to elaborate on this. How would you like family dynamics to change?

My vote's for:

Battanian women are allowed more than one husband - potentially bringing outsiders (later husbands) into your clan,
Imperial men can adopt illegitimate heirs fathered on their house slaves - allowing them to draft in random replacements in cases of perma-death
Aserai men who replace a dead brother must marry their sibling's widow as well as inheriting their property and clan. (Aserai men allowed more than one wife).
Sturgian wives replace their dead husbands as clan leaders, taking precedence over other claimants - restricts player choice on perma-death
Vlandian wives of clan chiefs are required to retire to a nunnery on their husbands death to stop them interfering - reduces the clan by two members on the leader's death.
Khuzait offspring are required to duel for the clan leadership on the player's death - player replacement restricted to the surviving offspring with one offspring normally killed (reducing the clan by two members on the player's death).

The Khuzait one would be amazing, I can't imagine dying, becoming one of my sons and being forced to kill my other son, that would **** my life probably

So a little twisted question...

Will i also be able to make bastards? Getting chrildren outside marriage..

Will i be able to "take" another mans wife after killing him or inprison him or just kidnap his wife. Throw her in a tower and have her spitting out babies :p

I know this is harsh but how far will talesworld go?

Raping/kidnapping was also a thing at that time in the middle ages

Keeping it simple is more than fine imo as getting a wife the romantic way and getting kids by that

:smile: so how twisted is it all going to be

Sanctumm said:
So a little twisted question...
Will i also be able to make bastards? Getting chrildren outside marriage..
Will i be able to "take" another mans wife after killing him or inprison him or just kidnap his wife. Throw her in a tower and have her spitting out babies :p
I know this is harsh but how far will talesworld go?
Raping/kidnapping was also a thing at that time in the middle ages
Keeping it simple is more than fine imo as getting a wife the romantic way and getting kids by that
:smile: so how twisted is it all going to be
About bastards think this will be interesting and even will useful. The warring parties will be able to use illegitimate children of the main character to manipulate them or to use as an ally in the war for titles.
It would also be a good idea to make a kidnapping for ransom.
And what about the rest.. I think it will be added with the help of modifications.

NPC99 said:
My vote's for:

Battanian women are allowed more than one husband - potentially bringing outsiders (later husbands) into your clan,
Imperial men can adopt illegitimate heirs fathered on their house slaves - allowing them to draft in random replacements in cases of perma-death
Aserai men who replace a dead brother must marry their sibling's widow as well as inheriting their property and clan. (Aserai men allowed more than one wife).
Sturgian wives replace their dead husbands as clan leaders, taking precedence over other claimants - restricts player choice on perma-death
Vlandian wives of clan chiefs are required to retire to a nunnery on their husbands death to stop them interfering - reduces the clan by two members on the leader's death.
Khuzait offspring are required to duel for the clan leadership on the player's death - player replacement restricted to the surviving offspring with one offspring normally killed (reducing the clan by two members on the player's death).

Honestly all of these suggestions are golden, and would make each faction even more unique and fun to play. I really hope there are societal things like this in Bannerlord. Factions in Warband always felt same-y to me.

Oswald III said:
Mithril♡Souls said:

About same sex marriage, well marriage would be weird anyways, I'm all for Carladia being Carladia and being totally separated by reality, but letting the game in such a medieval setting having two men/women marrying wouldn't fit quite with its current Lore, yet, like you said Greco-Roman morality had allowed the secrecy of homosexuality between those nobles and stuff, so I'm just repeating what you all said

May I ask what lore you're referring to?

Same-sex relationships would be a nice way to explore what medieval morality would've been like without an overarching homophobic religion. I do agree that there is no need to bring greek practices like pederasty into the game.
Far as I understand, in antiquity homosexuality wasn't considered immoral per se (some greek philosophers were so misogynistic they actually claimed that true love can flourish only between men) but being the "feminine" partner was considered denigrating and emasculating.

I don't see killing children as anyhow necessary for the game. If their family lost their lands, those children could grow up to be pretenders and adventurers. I do wonder what will happen if the player dies while their only heir is still underage? Will a companion take over?

Mithril♡Souls said:
May I ask what lore you're referring to?

I don't know if Oswald's referring to a particular part of the lore but as far as I'm aware there has been no mention of any homosexual relationship in Mount & Blade and that may be what they're referring to: its absence. There were also no homosexual marriages or relationships in-game as far as I know. If you have information to the contrary, please share it.

Oxtocoatl said:
Same-sex relationships would be a nice way to explore what medieval morality would've been like without an overarching homophobic religion. I do agree that there is no need to bring greek practices like pederasty into the game.
Far as I understand, in antiquity homosexuality wasn't considered immoral per se (some greek philosophers were so misogynistic they actually claimed that true love can flourish only between men) but being the "feminine" partner was considered denigrating and emasculating.

I don't see killing children as anyhow necessary for the game. If their family lost their lands, those children could grow up to be pretenders and adventurers. I do wonder what will happen if the player dies while their only heir is still underage? Will a companion take over?

Maybe it would be nice to explore that though I do feel the need to point out that there has been allusions to religion in the Bannerlord footage from Gamescom. So it may be homophobic. We'll have to wait and see.

About the viewpoint of homosexuality in the past, it differs from culture to culture and acceptance flourishes though as far as I know tolerance has never been has high or widespread as modern times (on a side note, from what I've seen history seems to be more accepting of bisexuality). Greco-roman times had one of the highest that I can recall, probably why it has been brought up so much. From memory it stemmed from the idea that marriage was for procreation but outside of that you could find love with a partner, regardless of gender (or amount). I do remember something weird about position between gay men, where it was seen as bad or something for a man of higher social status to be... on the receiving end.

There were other instances of acceptance. There was also the fact that most people slept naked and would have slept together, though I think that was mostly non-sexual in nature and done for warmth. Some of it was probably sexual though. I remember hearing that the Lionheart may have shared a bed with King Philip, not sure of the validity of this though it sounds plausible. I also heard that they may of had a semi-romantic relationship, same for Edward II and Gaveston, though like most of history we don't know for sure.

As for killing children, well I have conflicting feelings on the matter. Honestly I take a rather brutal stance on the matter, on the one hand killing anyone is immoral and killing a child is extra taboo, on the other hand it would be really annoying not to be able to kill children when you can everyone else. It would also probably save a lot of hassle, just in general, and especially when you're trying to exterminate a clan.

As for the player dying with an underaged heir? Not sure, maybe a companion, maybe another (adult) family member, maybe spouse. To put it simply we don't know yet, and we won't know until another blog comes out or the game is released.

Back
Top Bottom