On Crafting Orders

Users who are viewing this thread

I hadn't had a chance to check smithing before, and now I have been using smithing during 1.6.0 and 1.6.1, and I have to say that I love it. While it needs some polishing, it is pretty damn fun and it is nice to spend time on it while trying to meet weapon requirements. Some thoughs:

- As people have mentioned, it is really hard to unblock some weapon requirements, and most of the time you simply cannot do them during the whole campaign.
- Some pieces are unbalanced, and a lot of times I have to use tier 1 pieces because I get better results.
- While the situation is better compared to some time ago, smithing is still insanely profitable, and once you get +200 smithing skill it is possible to get huge money. Please just check these two videos on day 236 in my current campaign:

(I had to split this on two videos because I stopped it by mistake)

To be fair, it is not a specific issue with smithing, but the equipment is still too overpriced (even weapons, which has been balanced some patches ago). Equipment prices are totally disconnected from the game's economy, and it does not make sense. While most AI clans are barely able to keep their treasury over 30-50K, the player is able to get 200K dennars in 2 minutes. So, while I am loving how smithing works now, it is still something to avoid using because it still feels like cheating ( I do not want to sound too negative, I actually love the changes, it is just that economy needs some balancing).

Crafting Pieces and Unlocking
Another issue we had was the fully randomized part unlocking system and the lack of pieces for certain weapon types. We will try to address these issues together as we make the unlocking system more "controllable" such that the items player crafts and the item pieces they unlock are inline and players can focus on smithing certain weapons to progress faster in the crafting pieces.
For this reason, we also plan to expand the "piece catalog" of some weapon types. These will be the types in which we currently do not have many parts available (e.g. two-handed maces).
Excellent!! I can craft tier 5 blades but what I really want to craft is a two handed axe and until now I can only still create the adze..

Hey,
We are currently working on introducing new parts to balance out different types of weapon categories. The work is ongoing. The orders currently do not regard the player (except very slightly by the characters smithing level) when generating orders but we currently do not have a plan to do so.
I will post updates when it's a bit more progressed into the development.

Hey,
We are currently working on introducing new parts to balance out different types of weapon categories. The work is ongoing. The orders currently do not regard the player (except very slightly by the characters smithing level) when generating orders but we currently do not have a plan to do so.
Thanks for the heads up (y)

When you are crafting an order you can't switch to your companions because they can't forge the weapon, ok but I would like to refine some charcoal or iron or whatever without decreasing my character stamina but I can't. So I have to go out from the order, refine with my companions and go back to the order, again choose the pieces, their sizes etc...
I would like to switch to my companions whatever their smithing level, they can't forge (press the "forge" button) but they could be able to refine (or smelt).
When your character is out of stamina, you have to get some rest. You can't "save" your weapon during the process ? That would be great, don't have to put pieces together a second time (or more ^^).
I hope that's pretty clear :smile:

Demircide sadece silah değil ; kask, kalkan, zırh, el zırhı, ön zırh, omuzluk, yay, ok gibi diğer eşyalarda üretilmeli.
Kendi tasarladığım silah kadar diğer eşyaların tasarımına katkıda bulunmak ve üzerimdeki eşyalar ile bütüncül bir görünüm sergilemek istiyorum.

Hey,
Yo @SadShogun ,

How is it going? There has been very little to no announced or on beta versions on this front. Anything good to share? How has our feedback impacted this section of development? Could you please make sure there are less clicks involved when refining?

Thank you for your time and for your answer in advance.

Yo @SadShogun ,

How is it going? There has been very little to no announced or on beta versions on this front. Anything good to share? How has our feedback impacted this section of development? Could you please make sure there are less clicks involved when refining?

Thank you for your time and for your answer in advance.
Hi @SadShogun, got anything for us at this point? A simple slider mechanism (as how it works with donating denars to speed up construction blocks when managing a settlement) would help tremendously the click fest that is the blacksmith feature as it currently stands.

The value of orders could be a tutorial guiding new players to what's well priced in Calradia. And it could be a way for finding new components for specific kind of weaponry.

It's really nice addition, and could be a trove for modders.

I'm .02 over on the weight and I loose half of the money?

1a7sJYl.png

I'm .02 over on the weight and I loose half of the money?

1a7sJYl.png
When the customer is unsatisfied and cuts the half of the value immediately, because it's an imperfect order.
This is to prevent abusing the system since our damage values do not have a large scale and it's very easy to craft items very close (but not quite) to the requirements. Otherwise one could select 50K order and craft an item which achieves 90% of the stats and get 90% of the 50K which I think is undesirable.

Just wanna say I love the crafting orders. It's fun to figure out how to make an item. Occasionally you do get the upset customer when you manage to create the weapon at lower quality than he was expecting. Maybe you could limit some recipes to specific rank parts? Maybe that would kill the player's creativity, though... I like how this gives me a decent extra income and I haven't sold a single crafted weapon at all.

Creating the same recipe over and over can get tedious and I have also left a post in the suggestion forum to highlight the parts that you used when you were successful before. Only when you scored 100% or better. Especially with the swords you could be clicking hundreds of times to find the right combo. I love the different options when I'm crafting something for myself or my companions when I'm not necessarily min-maxing and going for style but for the orders it can be a bit much.

It wasn't until I had skill 288 and my companion reached 150 that I was able to make my first throwing axe. He had the perk that increases learning from smelting and I had the one that increased it from crafting. I didn't start training him up until I was 230-ish, I think. Lesson learned but it shouldn't take that long to at least unlock every weapon type.

Would be great as well if governors could increase the smithing workshop output quality (other culture output?) and income. Maybe there could be perks related to other workshops in the future as well. I think the suggestion to have the player order weapons could be linked to renown. The fancy smiths won't work for peasants.

@SadShogun Hey I recently discovered the crafting orders system and it's really enjoyable and a fun way to make some money. But one thing that bothers me about the whole smithing mechanic is the stamina system. I understand why it's used: so the player can't smelt, refine and forge items indefinitely. But it also doesn't make a lot of sense that the only way to recover stamina is to rest at a town. We can still go out and fight in tournaments, wage war, chase looters and bandits, etc, but we're too tired to burn some wood into charcoal?

It would make more sense if stamina would also recover passively over time as we travelled.

I think stamina works fine for refining raw materials and smelting down weapons into raw materials, but forging new weapons shouldn't use stamina. Forging weapons should make time pass instead. Say you choose all your pieces and then hit the forge button, instead forging the weapon instantly, we can see time pass on the campaign map as it's made. Each weapon should take a few hours to make, a day at most.

This way we're not able to make 5 swords worth $50k in less than a day.

When the customer is unsatisfied and cuts the half of the value immediately, because it's an imperfect order.
This is to prevent abusing the system since our damage values do not have a large scale and it's very easy to craft items very close (but not quite) to the requirements. Otherwise one could select 50K order and craft an item which achieves 90% of the stats and get 90% of the 50K which I think is undesirable.
This one was further off but I got a bonus. I was surprised. Weapon reach doesn't seem to matter much but weight does normally.

rciDbVs.jpg

I like crafting orders a lot, but they are need tuning, IMHO:

1. Huge orders of 100 000 + must be rare. Currently my 26 year old clan leader sit on almost 9 000 000 denars from orders alone. No caravans, no workshops, no battle loot other than horses and food. I hemorrhaging 3600 denars per day. but why should I care? All I need to do to finance my party for another year(!) is take a short stroll to nearby towns and fulfill 2-3 orders. I don't even sold any weapons to market, money come from orders only, while leveling up Charm.
2. Some orders impossible to fulfill and please customer. All weapon parameters in green zone, matched or even better than desired, sell price for weapon is higher than order worth, but nope, customer is still displeased. Happens mostly with daggers, throwing axes and throwing daggers, sometimes with javelins too. Is this a bug or there is some obscured desired parameters - I don't know, but this is need fixing.
3. Some orders make no sense at all. Wanderers who sign up for 500 gold sometimes order weapons for 200 000 denars. Huge orders must be generated by lords or powerful notables, IMHO.

Also, smithing interface badly need simple QOL features:

1. Slider or field to set desired number of refining iterations. It is very annoying to refine hundreds of wood and metal bars with click for every iteration.
2. Smithing stamina indicator visible from "Wailing here for some time" screen. Again, produces a lot off annoying clicks: "Stop waiting >> Enter smithy >> Check stamina for all companions >> Exit smithy >> Wait for some time", this is very frustrating if players smith a lot.

P.S. Please, add smithy to castles, even without orders available!

In the current beta, I have been cheattesting stuff and rarely have the tier-parts gone above tier 2. I have had one twohanded swordpart that has been tier 3.
Is there a current stop in the beta that hinders higher levels of tiers, locked in the X years and such? (I know that Town prosperity has something to do with the diferent kinds of armours and weapons that becomes available to theplayer)

Back
Top Bottom