Older laptop showing a black screen on startup

Users who are viewing this thread

I have an HP Pavillion DV7 laptop that's been having some trouble lately. It's 7 years old, and until about 2 and a half years ago it got used almost every day, so it's been used quite a bit. It's held up well, but it has been slowing down a bit over the past few years. Lately, though, it's started showing a black screen in place of the desktop when I start it up. It'll boot up to the point where it should display the desktop, but instead it'll just show the mouse pointer on an empty black screen. No UI will be visible, and if I right click or hit the Windows key to open the start menu, nothing will happen. Sometimes the desktop will appear after a couple/few minutes, and everything will be fine. Other times, I'll run out of patience after 5-10 minutes of black screen, and I'll ctrl+alt+delete (which does work) and shut it down from there. One time, after waiting like 10 minutes for the black screen to go away, I hit ctrl+alt+delete I told it to restart, hoping that might fix the issue. It sat there saying "restarting" for like half an hour or more, and then once it restarted, I think the desktop came up right away and all was well until I turned it off and then went to turn it back on again next time.

Three guesses I've had as to the cause of the issue, all of which could be totally wrong, are:
1.) It's the OS. It started out with Win 7, but I installed Windows 10 on it a couple years ago, and I've never completely warmed up to it. Given Windows 10's history of ****ed up updates and the like, it would not surprise me at all if this was down to a bug with the OS.
2.) It's a dying piece of hardware. I didn't know if maybe a dying HDD, or another part in there, might be the cause.
3.) The battery? Maaaaybe? The battery doesn't hold a charge well anymore, to the point that if you want to use it for more than a few minutes and the power level's below 100%, you'd better plug it in. I plug it in almost every time I use it now, but the black screen still happens when it's plugged in. I didn't know if the battery might still have something to do with it. I'm grasping at straws here.

Anyone got any ideas? I'd love it if someone had a better idea of what was wrong. I really don't know what the problem is. I'm sure someone's going to tell me to reinstall the OS, tbh that wouldn't be my first choice. I don't use the laptop very much anymore, so there's only so much I'll be willing to do to fix it. I mean, I'd probably replace the HDD if I knew that was the problem, but I'd rather not spend the time to reinstall the OS only to have it still be ****ed up when I next went to use it.

I had the same problem with a faulty driver installation on my older laptop. I would get a black screen just in the same conditions as you have. I solved the issue by doing a clean installation of all my graphics drivers in safe mode: the integrated one goes first, and the dedicated ones is the second.

I also had a case when a similar faulty installation just killed my OS, so I had to reinstall it. My suggestion is that if you want to save some time, you can just try a clean install of your graphics drivers in safe mode, but otherwise, reinstalling the OS should guarantee a solution.

The Bowman said:
I had the same problem with a faulty driver installation on my older laptop. I would get a black screen just in the same conditions as you have. I solved the issue by doing a clean installation of all my graphics drivers in safe mode: the integrated one goes first, and the dedicated ones is the second.

I also had a case when a similar faulty installation just killed my OS, so I had to reinstall it. My suggestion is that if you want to save some time, you can just try a clean install of your graphics drivers in safe mode, but otherwise, reinstalling the OS should guarantee a solution.
Thanks. It's good to know somebody's been though this and knows what I'm talking about. :smile:

I hadn't even thought of the graphics drivers. It's been ages since I had a driver problem, so that one didn't even cross my mind...

Edit: But first, I made the mistake of running Windows Update, which is now in the process of downloading one of Windows 10's "feature updates", otherwise known spending a couple of hours downloading and installing a big update that gives me a few features that I'll never use. Guess I may as well wait for that to finish before I uninstall and reinstall the drivers. **** me. :meh:

Back
Top Bottom