OLD TOYS!!!! Off Topic question for Gabrilduro

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi Gab.

I just wanted to thank you for all your work on your fine mods.  I am a family guy around your age (and also part Italian!) and I understand completely how hard it is to get time for stuff like this.  I am in awe of what you have contributed to us.

I wanted to ask you if you played with Atlantic soldiers when you were a boy in the 70s.  Something tells me you had thousands of them.  I had almost the whole range of HO scale figures and several of the larger 60mm scale sets, but they were hard to find in Canada.  The British-made Airfix and Matchbox figures may have been more historically accurate, but Atlantic soldiers had much more style!

517_ct.jpg

Hah! ...YOU x@!!!....!!! 
What are you, a Medium?? :twisted: ...or just a smart sensitive guy??
TRUE!! I did love them and THAT pic kills my heart cuz I could never have them....and guess what? I was "too old " for that at that time!  :cry:
I was a kid when Atlantic had just Italian army models, and I remember I was in heaven when I got the first small box of HO size Carabinieri a Cavallo that costed 100 Lire!!! ...about 1 or 2 $ nowdays.
Ok ok ...no time now, but I promise that I have to come back on this topic, you got me on my weak point, my toys in my childhood!
See, I was not a rich boy and grew in a bad part of Italy, and we had to face many bad things and not had much to play with.
But we used enourmosly our fantasy and ....I still think I do with modding, and that is why ppl like them, I m sure.
...But I did love all those things in shops....jeeees you made me have goosbomps!!
I used to prey mum to take me to Toys shops before Christmas and my Birthday (6 dicemb) and spend so much time looking at A    L    L  of them, heheheh
Joe Jackson, Big Jim and Ji JOE came out at those times, and I was embaraced when bigger boys thought they were some kind of Barbie s toys!!  :mrgreen:
My wife and me found and bought  so many old used toys for few Euro, and my daughter seldom played with them, but my son Gabriele just loves them...and the few from me that I gave him to play with.!!
Gotta go but I ll be back!!
This has to become OUR OLD 60' 70' TOYS PICS FORUM

Shoot anyone that will post later period toys!!!  :twisted: :twisted:

Really, thx for this!!
I am an old italian Peter Pan dreamer!!!
...and by the way: I never let adults kill the child in me. ...Question is WILL I EVER GROW UP???  :mrgreen:

Dear thx again
Gabby
PS ...keep this Topic alive!! IS AN ORDER!!  :lol:
I will make pics of what I have at home, and find on the net those old toys as well

I'm glad you liked the picture!  Here is a link to a site where you can see all the Atlantic figure sets:  http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/ManufacturerList.aspx?id=4  And here is a site that focuses on all the Atlantic toys: http://www.digitalpics.it/Soldatini-Atlantic/site/indx_e.html

Also here are pics of some of my other favorites. 

The British company, Timpo.  I had a lot of the figures and the western town buildings, but I never got this train  :cry:
4139_l.jpg

And the West German company, Jean Hoeffler (also known as BIG Toys).  I actually had this fort!
z1970pennyswestbigfort.jpg

So your birthday is Dec. 6?  Mine is Dec. 20, 1964.  I too was considered "too old" for the Atlantic figures when they came to Canada in about 1977, but they were sold in hobby shops in Canada instead of toy shops and I just claimed they were model kits, not toys. :lol:

My personal motto is "You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever!"  :grin:

Hey I remember that fort!!!!
Never had one so good...but my uncle made one of wood for my cousin that was a pleasure to play with!!!

Ok.
You provoke me???

Get this!  :mrgreen:
Some old images of my real 70's love:
The Looooone Ranger!!

This is a paradise of old memories....
http://www.plaidstallions.com/gabriel/loneranger.html

I got for Christmas and birthdays some of them....and lately I found some on Used Toys Markets , as I told you.
My son adores them...and has a father (ME!!  :twisted: ) that buys him tons of used old figures!!  :roll:

Gab
PS coming soon with more links and our Toys Collection set  :wink:
Ohh, it seems ITALERI, a company in Italy, comes from some old ATLANTIC owners, ....don t know if has still a production.
Found this for you
  :wink:
http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/product.php/5578/indian_warriors_american_revolution

GABRILDURO said:
Hey I remember that fort!!!!
Never had one so good...but my uncle made one of wood for my cousin that was a pleasure to play with!!!

Ok.
You provoke me???

Get this!  :mrgreen:
Some old images of my real 70's love:
The Looooone Ranger!!

This is a paradise of old memories....
http://www.plaidstallions.com/gabriel/loneranger.html

I got for Christmas and birthdays some of them....and lately I found some on Used Toys Markets , as I told you.
My son adores them...and has a father (ME!!  :twisted: ) that buys him tons of used old figures!!  :roll:
n

I remember those! I had the Lone Ranger and Tonto figures and I also miss the Davy Crockett figure I had too!

http://www.megomuseum.com/legend/awdaveycrockett.html

HEY Auldie!! Hahahaha
I knew it was just a question of time till you d see this Topic, hahahaha
You were the AUld friend I meant up above  :mrgreen:
You are right!
I played with those at my rich friend house and I had cochise...and my cousins had Buffalo bill
We all wanted Wild Bill Hickock!!!
Those were made on the original Joe Jackson Action figure....but I cannot find him on the net.
Ji Joes old big figures were great as well, remember.?
And johnny West series was so good....

I am invading my son with all the used stuff I find, and I bought some new Modern warfare ones from Modelism shops, as you know.
But lately money is so few that me and my son just look at the shop, as I used to do when I was a kid... :razz:
Gab

GABRILDURO said:
HEY Auldie!! Hahahaha
I knew it was just a question of time till you d see this Topic, hahahaha
You were the AUld friend I meant up above  :mrgreen:
You are right!
I played with those at my rich friend house and I had cochise...and my cousins had Buffalo bill
We all wanted Wild Bill Hickock!!!
Those were made on the original Joe Jackson Action figure....but I cannot find him on the net.
Ji Joes old big figures were great as well, remember.?
And johnny West series was so good....

I am invading my son with all the used stuff I find, and I bought some new Modern warfare ones from Modelism shops, as you know.
But lately money is so few that me and my son just look at the shop, as I used to do when I was a kid... :razz:
Gab

Wow you had a lot of them! I had just the Crockett and Lone Ranger stuff. I also had Star Trek figures and the original big sized GI Joe (they ruined that with the little crappy plastic things they came out with later).

You're a good dad Gab and your son is probably happiest when playing and sharing these things with you!

Hey guys,

I had Tonto and my friend had The Lone Ranger and Butch Cavendish.  I also had a Davy Crockett from the Mego Action Jackson line.  I had a couple of Marx Best of the West figures too. 

My favorite non-wild west action figures were Mego's Planet of the Apes
palitoyapes.jpg

Hey, imagine how cool a Planet of the Apes Warband mod would be?

HAH! ....I remember them!!!  :mrgreen:
Jeees....didn t even know there were so many.
The rich boy friend of mine had so many of those but even more from other brands, with all western scenes...and we would spend hours fixing the combact scene (Fort, Indian village, Stagecoach, Carriages in a circle, cowboys leading cows taken from BABY JESUS CHRISTMAS PRESEPE  :oops:  !!! ).

Then we always had so few time to play and was time for me to go back to my home!!!  :mad:

We invented so many shooting tools, but the best was a rubber band pistol!!!  :cool:

Gabby  :wink:

Thor Head said:
Howdy, Gabrilduro!  It sure has been a long time, old pard! 

I found the map I was looking for.  You are right!  I was just in the wrong mode.

Keep up the great work!  You're one of the very best and most innovative guys on here.

Remember the "classic toys" thread we had going?  Here's a video my son and I did last Labor Day weekend showing our collection of 1970s Wild West toys by Timpo of Great Britain.  While my computer was broken, we were still playing 1860s Old America, but we were doing it the old fashioned way! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s43AM197zxg
Hahaha...W O W !!! I wish I had all that as a child!
Of course I do remember that Thread...and Im gonna add this vid there!
on 1755 forum, remember?
Great vid, wanderful memories!
Glad you are riding again close to me, Cowboy! :wink: (...slapping your shoulder and shaking hands!)

Gab
EDIT: nooo....hahah...not 1755...it was here in 1860s topics! hah...

Greetings
Heh! Heh!  "Memory lane" stuff, Eh?
Well, I'd like to play, too --

"Atlantic" has already been mentioned.
I'll throw out a few more names (some of which have also been mentioned, previously) -- Airfix, Italeri, ESCI, ROKO, Matchbox.
[Some of whom made their real mark with hard-plastic "put-together" kits -- But, they involved using polystyrene glue, which Big Brother decided shouldn't be sold to children nowadays - potential drug abuse (aside from the mess it made of your fingers, if you were sloppy].
And we won't go into the many manufacturers of "lead" (!! We know about THAT!  Makes kids grow up stupid enough to vote for Republicans as adults) or "white-metal alloy" miniatures.  [Might have to sign a waiver, or prove you are over 18, in order to buy them nowadays.  Even sitting on the shelf, they might give off harmful, noxious vapors ...]

When I was a kid, the Marx Company (dunno if they sold stuff outside the U.S.) marketed what they called "playsets" -- came in a BIG box (about the size of two skateboards side-by-side) and contained figures, and scenery, and usually a building of some sort, associated with a particular "theme."
[Fort Apache (Cavalry and Indians, a stockade fort, etc.); American Revolution (Continentals and British, a Georgian house, some walls/fences, etc.); Jungle Jim (Safari Guides and Zulus, some tents, and jungle huts on stilts, assorted jungle animals, etc.) and so on.]
Figures were about 54mm size.  Other stuff was either plastic, or metal (!!) - that had to be folded, and "insert tab in slot and fold over" to form a building, or wall section.
On Christmas Morning, seeing one of those big boxes under the tree used to be a real treat, and foreshadow hours of interesting, imaginative playtime.
[And, you could buy about 50 of them, for what a pair of "name-brand" sneakers go for, nowadays ...]

Of course, the stuff had sharp edges (stamped metal, after all ...).  And many small parts (you used to get cannons, with little cannon balls that you could "fire" from them, with a little spring).
Can't sell that stuff to children nowadays, in the U.S. -- choking hazard, [contemplate trying to swallow a 54mm figure - soft plastic or not ... apparently, the Powers That Be figured that parents nowadays can't convey that caution to their children, so they stepped in].
And, of course, "no sharp edges," or anything that would ".. put your eye out ..," and other protections ".. for the good of the child .."

I can still remember all-metal toys, that would throw sparks when run over the floor [Horrors!] and all-wooden toys [too dangerous -- Junior might hit his playmate with it, causing serious injury].  To say nothing of BB Guns [don't carry one around the neighborhood today, since someone -- even with a badge -- might shoot you dead if they happen to be carrying a real one, and see you ...] 
Toys nowadays have to be too big for a 3-year-old to swallow (although some still manage it, somehow -- at least, according to their parents' lawyers) and softer than the average child's head (which seems to be getting lower every year).

Anyway, the Marx Company used to plaster a slogan on the side of their boxes, ".. Another fine Marx toy.  Have you all of them? .."
Can you imagine??
What a marketing strategy to use on impressionable children!
"Mom! Dad! I still need 4 more before I have a full collection!"
"Well, Junior, you can have one of those four, or you can have the Michael Jackson Replica Gloves you said you wanted last week."
"..Errmm ..."

[The above discussion only occurs among the rich people, of course.  Everyone else has .. other ways .. of dealing with such demands ..]

I had a good time, as a kid.  Don't think owning a BB gun or having metal toys hurt me in the slightest.  And falling out of trees I tried to climb only made me stronger (I think).
[Although, I do remember sitting around a (small) tree one time, with some friends, throwing darts at the tree trunk.  Kid across from me missed the tree, and buried his dart in my knee. 
Didn't hurt.  But, I couldn't pull the thing out!
So, went up to Mom, for help. 
Yeah, she got it out  -- and then beat the living cr&p out of me for being so stupid! 
Parents nowadays would sue the parents of the other kid, and the dart manufacturer, and the people who owned the land the tree was on ...]
Life sure was simpler, back then.
:roll:
Cheers

DARoot

Back
Top Bottom