Old games and making them work

Users who are viewing this thread

Agent Griff

Master Knight
Hello all.

So I recently got my little mitts on two jems of Gaming History: Fallout and Fallout: Tactics.

I've already installed Fallout but I've a problem. It won't work. Whenever I click the icon to start playing the bloody thing I get an error message saying that it needs more free hard-disk space. 20 megabytes to be precise. Where the hell do I get these megabytes? The directory I installed it in has 19 gigabytes of free space still on it so why the hell does it still need megs?

Taleworlds, please help me. You are my only hope.

Still, I would try various compatability modes. If you haven't already. If you have then maybe a reinstall is in order.

Have you defragged recently? Could be your 'empty' space is fragmented.

I think for Fallouts there's patches out there to make them compatible. Get searching.

Aye, aye sir!

Compatibility patches it is then.

To be honest I was hoping for D'Sparil to tell me how he does it since he seems to play old games like Fallout:Tactics or Arcanum quite often.

And how do I defrag by the way?

Right click on your hard drive in "my Computer", click properties then it should be under the tools tab.

I've started a defragmentation process and, oddly enough, mid-way through, the damn thing has started working.

War. War never changes.

So I guess I don't need help any more. Wait until I try to get Fallout:Tactics to work, though. :razz:

Oh, and can I do whatever I want during the defrag process? Like say read a book in Adobe or play a game?

Yes, technically. I wouldn't really suggest it. I'd say run the defrag next time you get off the computer for an extended time, like, if you sleep.

Don't forget to defrag often, especially if you move a lot of files. Installing, un-installing, downloading, deleting.. etc.

Fallout is up and working but I have a question.

How does one recruit Tycho into the Player Character's party? I already have Ian and Dogmeat, will that have any effect on me trying to recruit Tycho as well?

Although companions in Fallout 1 were a bit overrated (with the exception of Dogmeat). I tended to run solo simply because my companions were so hopeless.

Companions in every Fallout were somewhat idiotic. Particularly those with that annoying tendency of firing bursts at the guy engaging you in hand to hand combat. Lost count of the number of times I was slaughtered by a companion with an SMG.

Thanks a lot.

Another quick question, how does one enter the Glow and come out alive?

I've entered the damned facility and I have taken great amounts of Rad-X and Rad-Away but mere moments after I leave the area I suddenly die for no apparent reason. I assume it is because of the radiation but then again the damned thing only shows my corpse then tells me I've died.

Rad X increases radiation resistance by 50%. You only need to pop two at a time. Rad Away removes Rads.

You need to pop two immediately before entering, and keep topping up whenever you see it wear off. Once you leave, pop a Rad Away to clear any radiation you have (various doctors can also clear it).

You can see your Rad level on the character screen. Note that Rad X and Rad Away are both drugs, and overdosing is not a good idea.

I popped 6 Rad-Aways this time before leaving but I still die after like two hours. I can't escape this perpetual cycle of death.

Can I do anything to save my character? I really don't want to start over.

Back
Top Bottom