[OLD] Coders' Lab (Updated Feb/23/09)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonehwolf

Sergeant
LATEST UPDATES

[OBSOLETE] Download (V0.2Beta) File

Note:  Don't skip on reading the Thread Information spoiler if this is your first time visiting this post.  It contains a quick rundown of what has started and basically "introduces" you to the coding department.  I am Lonehwolf, main and only coder for Mongol Mod Team for the time being :smile:

Thread Aims:
- Gives a general rundown of what coding is about and how it affects the Mongol mod.
- Provides an organized section for coders and readers alike to understand what's going on in the coding department.
- Provides an organized list of all that's been done and implemented, including previous versions and next versions.
- Lists all the features that are going to be implemented.
- Discuss singular features that could be added in the mod in the near or far future.

Coding's uses.
A game is just like a car.  A car requires the wheels, the body, the engine and a bunch of pipes and **** I don't know about to work :razz:.  Same goes for a game.  The engine is the game engine, the body are the textures that make it look good, the padding are the graphical brushes, the wheels and "bunch of ****" is the coding.

All together they make a game, and while texturing and modeling provide for a varying game experience, and scene editing provides for a more immersive and realistic gameplay, and music builds up a realistic atmosphere, coding gives the game identity, functionality and features.

Coding Department.
As a quick recap of all that's happened since I've become the new coder:
-The previous coder, Pali Gap, left the group forever and request to receive a permanent ban.  (Confirmed in the 'Who are these banned guy?' thread)
-The code looked totally messy when I received the old "shell" from mongol delta.  It was like running a fork-lifter with a faulty lifter.  The code was not compiling, plenty of errors were being generated, and I started again from scratch.  It was not use-able.
-My first task:  Quick modification of some commonly used identifiers.  I could have left them the way they were, true, and the whole day of coding could have been saved, but this psychologically helps me a great deal.  I'm in a more comfortable coding environment now that the identifiers make more sense, having given them more descriptive names.
-Second task:  Factions.  This was essential.  We wanted to increase the number of factions.  It was decided we'd include 9 major factions (2 of which were to be chinese), and 4 small tribes that band together but are still driven individually.
-Third Task:  Ability Code.  This was a total pain in the butt.  Too much code, too many troubles, I really wanted to put this in later, but I was all pumped up to see it in action that I put it in for my own amusement.  Not something anybody will see till later on in the beta release.
-Fourth Task:  Just had to organize my posts and provide informative information.  I hate being messy or walk blindly.  Organization is what keeps me going at a solid pace.
-Fifth Task:  Actual code tweaking.  This time I went in the game menus section.  I messed around a bit here and there and slowly edited a couple of things.  I backed up a copy of this file and set it aside for the actual release (aka Beta v1.0).
-Sixth Task:  This will be my last task entry.  Everything was set up and running, and my job is to code, so that's what I'm doing.  I proceeded to modify the troop names, add more troop branches, modify town names, faction leader names, lord names, research on shield bash and formations (Mirathei's) and steadily moved on through the code.  At times errors pop up, but they're one by one eliminated and the code once again is able to compile.  I advanced the tier levels so they can level up at a more divided stage rather than 1 level aside from the previous tiers  The (Beta v0.1) has been already released, and most of this work will be present in (v0.2), where factions will no longer be eliminated after 5 minutes of gameplay, but they will have their own fiefs and strength to compete.  To sum it up, I also planned out what I'll be doing in which version releases.  They're listed down in the "Plan of Action" section, which follows right below.

23-Feb-09
Been working on the troop tree for about 2 hours now that I finally got some free time.  The jin troop tree is finished, totaling 132 lines.  That's pretty impressive for just a single troop tree as far as I'm concerned.  I'll be tackling the other monster tomorrow or the next day if I get some time.  Maybe later today.  It's 2AM and the computer project is making me worry too much.  So I'm probably K.O. for the time being.  But I'll keep glancing and coding every now and again.

18-Feb-09
Nothing special, just finished removing all native troops.  Been one hellufa busy day.  Tomorrow I'll be removing the custom troops I had built in to that point.  I'll quickly take down all of the pictures the midget hamsta put up on us so i have them handy in a window that I can move around.

17-Feb-09
The project was on hold up until now.  Work has now resumed, and the coding department deserves yet another update on how things are progressing.  I have to thank Lord Corentin (aka "Huge Whale" aka "Midget Hamster") for providing me with new troop trees.

Now that we're back, the main focus is getting the actual Mongolians in the mod.  This basically consists of the various troops that belong to the Mongolians themselves.  We had 3 troop trees that have now been revamped as well as a whole new set of trees added.  I have moved back on the work I had done so far, and instead of deleting and recoding the new trees, I shall be working on removing the Native factions (3 already out, 2 more to go) and then removing the current modified trees (consisting of 6 in total).  Once that's over with, I shall recode the new trees, bind them via script events, reinforcements and skills.  Each new tier is a total "hop" of 10 levels.  If a particular faction has 6 different tiers, that means the first tier (generally the ones you recruit from villages) will be level 10.  The final (6th) tier troop shall be level 60.  A total difference in survivability.  The skills would then be brought up to match with each corresponding troop tree.

I have decided that balance will not be an issue I shall be paying attention towards.  In real life, balance rarely exists.  There are always groups that dominate over others, one of them shall always climb up and become the star.  And it's the same for Mongolia.  The Chinese shall loath you.  You will not be able to become their vassal, at least not easily.

Version Releases
I had, originally listed down all my tasks under this section, but I have now a more clear and planned way to develop the mod, and it's listed below for my own use and for the viewers to have a general idea of what to expect from each release.

-Version 0.1Out-dated.  Factions were declared, all but 5 of them die out a minute or so after the combat resumes.  This was mainly just a quick sneak peek to what things will be like.  The troop names were included, but they were all a copy of "rhodok tribesman".  Expecting a mounted heavy axeman to have a mount?  Or an axe?  You'll be disappointed.  They're just names, a simple skeletal layout.
-Version 0.2Out Already.  This is where factions become functional.  Kings will be present, Lords will be balanced, the Jin will dominate all.  Does your Mongolian blood show in this version?  Or will you run towards the Jin and beg their mercy, join those scum as a mercenary and slowly gain power?  Will such an action be even possible?  Will you be able to talk to the Jin on neutral or friendly terms?
-Version 0.3In Progress.  At this point, you'll be seeing different troop names.  While this seems simple it will be as hard as ****.  I'll be building up individual troop trees for each and every Faction out there.  This is no longer the point where I look away and say 'I was setting it in a hurry and all...'.  While no equipment will be added, so they'll look the same, all their stats, skills, levels, professions and cores will be modified.
-Version 0.4Untouched.  Abilities will be coded in at this point.  Map Icons, if available, here.
-Version 0.5Untouched.  Formation Code coded in.  Map icons will have to be concluded at this point before version is released.
-Version 0.6Untouched.  Shield Bashing will be possible.  Weapons and Armorsstart being CODED in at this point.  They will NOT appear in game, but they will be present in the code.
-Version 0.7Untouched.  Assassination code will be added.  Only activated via quests which come in later in the tweaking.  All troops will have distinguished equipment on them.  They'll ride in all of their glory in the battlefield!
-Version 0.8Untouched.  Core Quest code at this point.  Nothing that affects gameplay.  Weapons and Armors will be completely involved.  All factions will be validated at this point.  More towns will be present on the map, all the tribes will have land that's close to each other instead of sparsed around.  THIS VERSION WILL NOT BE RELEASED
-Version 0.9Untouched.  All troops will have actual, historically accurate equipment with them, new mounts will appear.  The storyline will be closer to the player via in-game dialogs.  Townsmen will be able to reveal various historical facts when talking to.  THIS IS STILL BETA - ERRORS WILL BE EXPECTED AND WE WON'T MOVE ON TO THE NEXT STEP UNLESS I BELIEVE THE GAME IS CLEAN FROM ISSUES.
-Version 1.0: GAMMA VERSION.

Tangut Troops Built In
tanguttrooptreeei6.jpg

They have been coded in.  Levels will be added.  Highest tiers will be total rapers (up to level 60).  Fear those bastards.

Steve's Adds:

Ok.  This is the 'FINAL' Faction List until the Epsilon Release when we 'may' add more.

Individual Factions:

-Merkits
-Tatars
-Naimans
-Kereits
-Jin
-Tangut
-Oirat
-Ongut

Huddled Clans (These appear as one solid alliance with individual "brain"):
-Jadarans
-Tayichidiuds
-Borjigens
-Jerkins
-Khongkotats

Groups represented but not currently factions:
-Manghit
-Dorbet
-Barlas
-Jalayir
-Buriyats
-Uriankhai
-Khoritumat

here are some troop trees as well.  2 Tribal ones and the Jin one.

JIN TROOP TREE
Jintrooptree.jpg

MONGOLS.NOMADIC TROOP TREES
MongolTribe-TroopTree1.jpg

MongolTribe-TroopTree2.jpg

Oh my! It's a corner!  :eek:

*skulks and cries*

That's what I do in corners sadly...

I could be of assistance if this was "Coder's empty field" or "Coder's middle-of-the-room", but I don't think I can contribute anything to help this mod along if it's a corner.  :sad:

:razz:

If you have any minor problems, just drop me a PM and I'll try and help you sort it out.

Ruthven said:
Oh my! It's a corner!  :eek:

*skulks and cries*

That's what I do in corners sadly...

I could be of assistance if this was "Coder's empty field" or "Coder's middle-of-the-room", but I don't think I can contribute anything to help this mod along if it's a corner.  :sad:

:razz:

If you have any minor problems, just drop me a PM and I'll try and help you sort it out.

thanks for your post :p  I'll let you know when I find something sharp over in my corner.  After all, sharing is caring ;o

Ok, Tomorrow I'll be able to get started on some work.  I believe I'll start coding in the troops.  I'll talk to ben to see what strings and game_menus have that I should keep.

I'll happily accept a full list of:

Faction Name:
-Troop Name
-Troop Name

For each available.  This would help me a good deal and make the process faster.  First I'll code in the factions, and then quickly bang the troops.  Dialogs will be totally redone when I get the time.

These are the factions I want.

Factions:
Ongut
Borjigin
Jadaran
Tatars
Naimans
Kerayids
Tangut Kingdom
Oirat
Tayichiud
Kerait

Merkits
Manghit
Dorbet
Barlas
Jalayir
Darkhad
Uriankhai

Wei.Xiadi said:
These are the factions I want.

Factions:
Ongut
Borjigin
Jadaran
Tatars
Naimans
Kerayids
Tangut Kingdom
Oirat
Tayichiud
Kerait

Merkits
Manghit
Dorbet
Barlas
Jalayir
Darkhad
Uriankhai

The factions will be the ones done first.  I ain't promising the appearance of the groups though.  I'll be getting the mod with troops names, faction names, and startup details to the same point it was in the first release of mongol and give it off as a beta test.  I want to see how the players find a 10 faction game system, whether it's too involving, chaotic, or just about right.

Ooh, a lab. Much better! *grabs short white trench-coat-type-thing and clipboard* Ohay, vare tu begeen, yves? *test tubes bubbling*

I mhake calculations nao, yves? I vill be back to help soon, yves? *walks away scribbling on clipboard*

Ruthven said:
Ooh, a lab. Much better! *grabs short white trench-coat-type-thing and clipboard* Ohay, vare tu begeen, yves? *test tubes bubbling*

I mhake calculations nao, yves? I vill be back to help soon, yves? *walks away scribbling on clipboard*

give me back mao clipboard! important pr0n is depicted there! =<

Things i'll be implementing in the next beta release just to see how these things are going to work out are the following:

10 new factions, re-code the troops, items via module system instead of the editor, like they were coded the first time through.  This should provide for a more efficient coding, since when they're inputted via the editor, they're lost during the next compilation.

If the 10 factions looks "kewl" and are making the whole gameplay rise to a whole new level, then expect 7 more factions soon :smile:

For the Jin Dynasty troops you'll want.

Jiang Jun - meaning general (thanks to Eum)
Dao Bing - Saber weilders (Dao does not translate to sword, it translates anything with a saber, Guan Dao's included (according to my resources)
Jian Bing - Swordsmen (Jian translates to Sword, other possible names would be Tai Ji Jian or even Zui Jian)
Fu Tou Bing - axemen (Unsure, I always translated Fu Zi to mean double sided axe and Fu to mean singular bladed axe..but what the heck)
Nu Shou - crossbowmen (Another one I'm unsure about, kongming.net told me that they were translated to Shi and San, one for crossbow and bow and arrow - but again, what the hell)
Chi Mao Qi Bing - mounted long spearmen (Qiang translates directly to Spear, so maybe Qiang Qi Bing will work, all my resources state this, but I'll need confirmation with cheng and eum)
Chi Mao Bing - spearmen (again, Qiang Bing means the same thing according to me)
Chi Mao Bu Bing - another type of spearmen, usually a pike weilder

Male Mongolian Names

Yesugei
Neikun
Daritai
Chileidu
Bartan
Temujin Uge
Khori Buka
Khaji'un
Temuja
Kutula
Altan
Menggetu
Targutai
Dai Sechen
Munglik
Ambakhai
Charakha
Todaan Girta
Kasar
Bektair
Belgutai
Bodonchar
Chimbai
Chila'un
Sorkhan Shira
Nakhu
Bo'orchu
Toghrul
Kurchakhus
Tokhto'a
Erke
Jelmei
Subetai
Jamukha
Jakha Gambu
Dair Usun
Khaghata Darmala
Chilgei
Jochi
Altan
Khuchar
Sacha
Taichu
Kuchu
Kokochu
Khada'an
Bolormaa
Solongo
Odtsetseg
Sarangerel
Batkhuyag
Dzoldzaya
Bayarmaa
Altantsetseg
Batuldzii
Mungentuya
Baatarsaikhan
Munkhjargal
Oyunbileg
Erdenetsetseg
Naranbaatar
Altanchimeg
Bolorerdene
Delgernandjil
Odgerel
Shurentsetseg
Nyamsuren
Batzorig
Chuluun

Female Mongolian Names
Hoelun
Temulin
Borte
Hulan
Orbai
Sokhatai
Khoakchin
Alangoa
Khada'an
Chotan
Abagai
Khorijin
Khu'urchin

Provided by Mertbey.

As for the troop names, It seems there aren't any actual troop names, so for the time being you may need to do just Borigyn Archer, (enter faction name) lancer, ect ect

Maybe we can have them translated into mongolian words later on, i'm not so sure.

Do those names have titles?  As in Lords and such?  I'll be inputting those without anything added.  I hope it won't mess anything up.

The organization of the army was based on the decimal system. The largest unit was the tjumen, which was made up of 10.000 troops. A large army used to consist of three tjumens (Plural form t'ma in Mongolian), one consisting of infantry troops who were to perform close combat, the two others were meant to encircle the opponent from both sides. Each tjumen consisted of ten regiments, each of 1.000 troops. The 1.000 strong unit was called a mingghan. Each of these regiments consisted of ten squadrons of 100 troops, called jaghun, each of which was divided into ten units of ten, called arban. There was also an elite tjumen, an imperial guard which was composed of specially trained and selected troops. As for the command structure, the ten soldiers of each arban elected their commander by majority vote, and all of the ten commanders of the ten arbans of a tjumen elected the commander of a jaghunby the same procedure. Above that level, the khan personally appointed the commanders of each tjumen and mingghan. This appointment was made on criteria of ability, not age or social origin.

The commanders of tjumens and mingghans had the military title of noyon. A commander of a whole army, which as mentioned typically consisted of three tjumens or more of light cavalry and in addition several mingghans of artillery, carried the title of orlok. In other words, the orlok was the commanding general.

For the Jin troops, you'll have 1 officer per real army called a Huang Jiang Jun (Huang is the surname of that general, so you need to make a few of these, or you can just remove Hung all together) the troop tree will advance to -> Huang Jiangyuhou -> Huang Chengju and then Huang Yaguan

Every stage is basically the same, just like the ranks there mean basically the same.  But you wanted a troop tree, that is one.

that is the general, it cannot be plural since there is just 1 of them...make him strong..and good..period.

For the Jin army itself.  Use suffix only and make sure you use Militia and Veteran terms.  Use anything that sounds good...

Wei.Xiadi said:
For the Jin troops, you'll have 1 officer per real army called a Huang Jiang Jun (Huang is the surname of that general, so you need to make a few of these, or you can just remove Hung all together) the troop tree will advance to -> Huang Jiangyuhou -> Huang Chengju and then Huang Yaguan
So Huang Jiang Jun is a general, and there will be half a dozen of him walking around, leading armies? :???:

Code:
(tribe name) peasants
(tribe name) lancer
(tribe name) mounted archer
(tribe name) mounted axemen
(tribe name) mounted swordsmen
(tribe name) mounted spearmen
(tribe name) mounted heavy spearmen

Pasting this for referencing purposes.

Ok.  This is the 'FINAL' Faction List until the Epsilon Release when we 'may' add more.

Individual Factions:

-Merkits
-Tatars
-Naimans
-Kereits
-Jin
-Tangut
-Oirat
-Ongut

Huddled Clans (These appear as one solid alliance with individual "brain"):
-Jadarans
-Tayichidiuds
-Borjigens
-Jerkins
-Khongkotats

-Manghit
-Dorbet
-Barlas
-Jalayir
-Buriyats
-Uriankhai
-Khoritumat

here are some troop trees as well.  2 Tribal ones and the Jin one.

JIN TROOP TREE
Jintrooptree.jpg

MONGOLS.NOMADIC TROOP TREES
MongolTribe-TroopTree1.jpg

MongolTribe-TroopTree2.jpg

For the jing troop tree, what role does the "Fu Zi Bing" play? I ask because "Fu zi", like "Fu tou", means axe in Chinese, so it seemed rather redundant. If what you want is a throwing axeman, then you'd use "Tou Fu Bing", which looks just like "Fu Tou Bing", except it literally means throw-axe man instead of axeman. I see that the same is true for the Tangut troop tree as well. Are you just trying to establish an infantry upgrade path for the axe-wielders? If so, I have a couple of other names you could use...

I just started play testing it and found that at the start of the game I got all these messages saying each faction had been eliminated
cheers

Lord Corentin said:
For the jing troop tree, what role does the "Fu Zi Bing" play? I ask because "Fu zi", like "Fu tou", means axe in Chinese, so it seemed rather redundant. If what you want is a throwing axeman, then you'd use "Tou Fu Bing", which looks just like "Fu Tou Bing", except it literally means throw-axe man instead of axeman. I see that the same is true for the Tangut troop tree as well. Are you just trying to establish an infantry upgrade path for the axe-wielders? If so, I have a couple of other names you could use...
Tofu? (Beancurd) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom