Ok so it's a bad release, no big deal

Users who are viewing this thread

NukularPower said:
MadocComadrin said:
Otherwise, ask for your money back and leave the forum forever, your presence is unwanted.

Can I have my money back?  No, seriously, I'm asking?  Really, who do you think would actually give a refund?  Steam?  Hahaha!  Obviously this is my fault for buying without looking - My fault for having faith in the Taleworlds/Brytenwalda brands, not realizing that pretty much anything you buy these days is "early access"... even from people you trust.

Also, trying to trivialize peoples complaints here, when this stuff is incredibly obvious to anyone who even plays an hour,  is pretty funny.  The sad part to me is that the "testers" are probably going to get to add this to their resume instead of being blacklisted from the industry as would be just.

My 2 cents as a software developer:

Most of the people who call the shots do not play a direct role in the actual developmental process and once a roadmap has been decided. QA and DEV have very limited say on the actual timeline of product release.

in practice, DEV's and QA's have much to lose from releasing a buggy product because their performance are almost always evaluated on product quality and issues uncovered (respectively). On the other hand, business consultants, sales, and marketing (i.e. people with much more say on the roadmap) have little to lose from a buggy release because their performance are evaluated by revenue and transaction volume.

Once the blame game on a buggy release starts, DEV and QA automatically get **** on because their contributions to an incomplete product can be directly experienced whereas the other departments' contributions in preventing this incomplete product from becoming a completed product is something that cannot be observed by outsiders.

Montavious said:
You have your opinion, I have mine. And it doesnt matter if they were doing the development or not, it was their good name on the line in the end. Either way you look at it, this was one of the two companies I never felt shafted by, even if stuff was messed up on release, I have all their games. But this is piss poor.
My point is that calling it piss poor is:
a) Wrong, I have experienced piss poor, and it is not Viking Conquest. Of course, that is debatable and not what I am here to debate. See point b.
b) Unhelpful, the bugs that hold it back are entirely fixable and submitting helpful reports will only speed up that process. I suspect that what is piss poor in your view now will be a very good game in the future, if you simply give the team an amount of time to fix some of the bugs; keep in mind that it is still the day of the release. (At least in my neck of the woods) Give it time and the bugs will be fixed, and you will be happy. Or, if they do not fix the bugs, you would be perfectly justified, but you are not justified at this moment.

And what I say is helpful feedback and what is not is an opinion but something coming from experience, I have personal experience with the tedium of bug hunting in Warband.

Montavious said:
I havent preordered a game in ages for this reason. I took a leap of faith and got burnt by a company I had complete faith in, wow. Lesson learned, never again. Never had a problem with a TaleWorld product before. But if they released this in this state, I have to question any further purchases I will make with them. What a let down, TaleWorlds and Stardock were the only companies I ever trusted, guess its just Stardock now.

I am sorry to break it to you, Stardock's "Elemental" was an absolute disaster. They made it slightly better with "Fallen Enchantress" but that's already a new product. The original game was never actually fixed.

On the bright side, these are computer game products and have absolutely no impact in your everyday life. $10 USD is nothing compared to that useless $300 allergy medication prescribed by my greedy dermatologist.

user32167 said:
Montavious said:
I havent preordered a game in ages for this reason. I took a leap of faith and got burnt by a company I had complete faith in, wow. Lesson learned, never again. Never had a problem with a TaleWorld product before. But if they released this in this state, I have to question any further purchases I will make with them. What a let down, TaleWorlds and Stardock were the only companies I ever trusted, guess its just Stardock now.

I am sorry to break it to you, Stardock's "Elemental" was an absolute disaster. They made it slightly better with "Fallen Enchantress" but that's already a new product. The original game was never actually fixed.

On the bright side, these are computer game products and have absolutely no impact in your everyday life. $10 USD is nothing compared to that useless $300 allergy medication prescribed by my greedy dermatologist.
Yes, Elemental was horrible, but I still got some enjoyment out of it. But then they gave you Fallen Enchantress free. It was an OK game. Then They gave you a free Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heros on that of that for free. That was an excellent game. Not saying they should give you free games, but they made an excellent effort to try to compensate their customers because they knew they were in the wrong.

The Dark Robin said:
Montavious said:
You have your opinion, I have mine. And it doesnt matter if they were doing the development or not, it was their good name on the line in the end. Either way you look at it, this was one of the two companies I never felt shafted by, even if stuff was messed up on release, I have all their games. But this is piss poor.
My point is that calling it piss poor is:
a) Wrong, I have experienced piss poor, and it is not Viking Conquest. Of course, that is debatable and not what I am here to debate. See point b.
b) Unhelpful, the bugs that hold it back are entirely fixable and submitting helpful reports will only speed up that process. I suspect that what is piss poor in your view now will be a very good game in the future, if you simply give the team an amount of time to fix some of the bugs; keep in mind that it is still the day of the release. (At least in my neck of the woods) Give it time and the bugs will be fixed, and you will be happy. Or, if they do not fix the bugs, you would be perfectly justified, but you are not justified at this moment.

And what I say is helpful feedback and what is not is an opinion but something coming from experience, I have personal experience with the tedium of bug hunting in Warband.
Might not be playing piss poor to you, but to me it is. Like I said we all have our opinions. Type all the long draw out paragraphs you want, doesnt change the fact that this was a horrid release.

Let me put it this way, as to what my thoughts are.

Despite the bugs; I am having a fricken blast.

Once this thing gets the proper patches, its gonna rock the socks off your grandmas drawer. Enough said. I've already been going nuts on the multi and the singleplayer having a storyline makes me care a lot more about the playthrough and character I made.

Montavious said:
Might not be playing piss poor to you, but to me it is. Like I said we all have our opinions. Type all the long draw out paragraphs you want, doesnt change the fact that this was a horrid release.
You completely ignored the second part of my post. I am not debating the quality, I am saying you might contribute by reporting the bugs you find rather than *****ing about a bad initial release.

Would you still say that testers - that did theirs job - are to blame?
Of course it's bull**** to make testers responsible for this, but what about the management? Why do they release a game, that obviously isn't finished? In nearly every other business they'd get fired for something like this, but in the Gaming-Industry it's perfectly fine to release a pile of unfinished ****.
Imagine what would happen if Volkswagen released a car, that would shut down every 20minutes....
The only reason why this **** constantly happens with video-games is that nobody has to take responsibility. How often do you think ****-releases would happen, if they'd just fire ppl for it?
And what is this ****-talking about ruining livelihood for entertainment good for? They are running a business and if they fail at it they should face the same consequences as everyone else. 

No hate.... just saying....

I came across a village that had been having trouble with bandits. Dutifully I trained several peasants to defend themselves, then aided them in the battle. All the peasants fell after a valiant effort, leaving me to defend the village vs the remaining five bandits. I kill them all while barely escaping with my life. I swell with pride as my relations with the village improve. However, I still can't recruit men from there.

So like Mad Max, I venture into the wastelands alone. I find an abbey where five poor women are willing to join me. They have no fighting skills, but maybe I can train them to become proficient? I fight a few battles vs thieves and things are going well. Finally I stumble across a viking hideout! Do I risk an attack? I decide to go for it and barely, just BARELY wipe them out. Amazing!! There is so much awesome loot here! Chainmail armor to replace my old cloth, british swords to replace my little hatchet, metal helmets, nice boots, everything!

As I leave, a group of 8 more vikings stops me. I'm very wounded from the last raid on their base. Maybe I can pay them off? Nope, they know who I am and only want blood. The women are dead, I am wounded, and my back is against the wall. Lets see what this new equipment can do. I just need to survive this, and get back to the abbey to heal.

I stare down my approaching enemy, as I stand alone on top of a hill. My grip tightens on the handle of my sword in anticipation. I hear the sound of darts burying themselves into the tree I am making my last stand beside. I raise my shield, take a deep breath and let out a mighty battle roar as I charge into th........Mount and Blade has stopped responding. Please close the program.

willcross06 said:
I came across a village that had been having trouble with bandits. Dutifully I trained several peasants to defend themselves, then aided them in the battle. All the peasants fell after a valiant effort, leaving me to defend the village vs the remaining five bandits. I kill them all while barely escaping with my life. I swell with pride as my relations with the village improve. However, I still can't recruit men from there.

So like Mad Max, I venture into the wastelands alone. I find an abbey where five poor women are willing to join me. They have no fighting skills, but maybe I can train them to become proficient? I fight a few battles vs thieves and things are going well. Finally I stumble across a viking hideout! Do I risk an attack? I decide to go for it and barely, just BARELY wipe them out. Amazing!! There is so much awesome loot here! Chainmail armor to replace my old cloth, british swords to replace my little hatchet, metal helmets, nice boots, everything!

As I leave, a group of 8 more vikings stops me. I'm very wounded from the last raid on their base. Maybe I can pay them off? Nope, they know who I am and only want blood. The women are dead, I am wounded, and my back is against the wall. Lets see what this new equipment can do. I just need to survive this, and get back to the abbey to heal.

I stare down my approaching enemy, as I stand alone on top of a hill. My grip tightens on the handle of my sword in anticipation. I hear the sound of darts burying themselves into the tree I am making my last stand beside. I raise my shield, take a deep breath and let out a mighty battle roar as I charge into th........Mount and Blade has stopped responding. Please close the program.
Well, this was nice to read, apart from the last line :/.

Montavious said:

Same here, I actually guessed it was going to be a mess. But I bought it anyway...

Top tip: never pre-order or buy day one for anything.

Does this DLC have features like in the Diplomacy mod, where you can send men to recruit troops for you, hold banquets, etc?

magitsu said:
What's most positive about this is that now they probably won't dare to release Bannerlord in this kind of state.
No, this is a bad thing. Now they realize the fanboys will blindly defend whatever steaming pile of **** they squeeze out.

Plovercrest said:
Montavious said:

Same here, I actually guessed it was going to be a mess. But I bought it anyway...

The Brytenwalda team is responsible for this mess, not TaleWorlds.

Wulfric said:
Plovercrest said:
Montavious said:

The Brytenwalda team is responsible for this mess, not TaleWorlds.
TaleWorlds will most definitely be responsible for this. If you serve your guest a bad recipe, would the guest blame your cook book or you?

As for Brytenwalda, it depends on whether or not they did anything to discourage the release. Some developers do try to intentionally deceive their publisher into publishing bad products (like Universo Virtual on the now-dead Magna Mundi) and we have no idea if that's the case.

Back
Top Bottom