-- Official Unofficial 'Ask Questions About Warband Singleplayer Here' Thread --

Users who are viewing this thread

Nikomakkos said:
Does anyone know if arrow weight has an effect on the physics of the arrow in flight? And by extension on damage/range/arc?
As far as I know, the weight of the arrows in your inventory has nothing to do with it's flight when fired. Damage is based on the velocity of the arrow, and of course the damage of the bow you shoot it from, as are range and arc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have tips for playing the game as a bandit? It's more for roleplay purposes rather than actually doing well, I have no intentions of conquering Calradia, but I'm not sure where to begin. Obviously, starting out, I'll kill other bandits for money, gear, and experience. What worries me more is the leap from, say, Sea Raiders, to fighting lords, when not part of a faction. I'm also worried about Tournaments. When I am a faction's enemy, is there any way to participate in tournaments anymore? Or am I restricted completely to killing armies? Am I able to use the marketplaces anymore? I've never actually tried this, so I have no idea. I usually play as a faction Vassal (Nords) until I'm strong enough to take anyone I want without issue.

I think if you attacked any faction's lords, that would put you at war with that faction.  You wouldn't be able to enter their towns, recruit from their villages (unless you'd raised their relation to you to over +10), participate in tourneys, purchase things from stores, set up enterprises, etc.  If you did that with all the factions, you'd find yourself shut out of all Calradia.  Not to mention every vassal would be gunning for you.

I suppose if you limited yourself to raiding one or two factions, you could make it work.  You could pick a "friendly" faction, that you wouldn't raid, so that you had access to their market and tourneys, and could recruit from their villages.

I'm not sure about other mods but with Diplomacy you can sneak into an enemy town and trade with the merchants as well as participate in a tournament if it's being held.  The only option you won't have is to go to the lord's hall.  When sneaking in you might have to fight the town guards if you are recognized.  Since you sneaked you'll only have a pilgrim's disguise and a staff plus throwing knives.  The drawback with being a bandit is that you are almost forced by lack of tax and rent income (since you don't own any fiefs)  to keep your party extremely small and would be over-matched against faction warbands roaming the countryside especially on the hardest difficulty. 

So after a few days of playing Native again, I found myself the owner of Yalen, after reconquering it from the Swadian scum that invaded the glorious Rhodok master race.

However, I face a problem. Apparently, traders hate me, and refuse to send caravans to bolster my economy. However, caravans did go there when the town was under Swadian rule.

So, my question is, is there any way to encourage the game to send caravans to trade in my city?

If you're at war with anyone, you get way less trade. Caravans turn back if they see an enemy army, which can get them stuck in infinite loops, especially in the mountains near Yalen. I also think the trade scripts redirect caravans to more profitable routes, but I'm not so sure how that works.

As you expand your kingdom (rhodoks in this case), you'll see more caravans, mostly your own. Eventually you'll own enough land that caravans will have a nice avenue of safe travel to your town.

regarding autocalc (when you die in battle and it calculates for you the losses and winner at the end)

is it affected favorably if one of your surviving companions has a high tactics skill?

makes me wonder a second question if the tactics skill and autocalc have any relationship at all

i ask because i'm thinking of having a companion max tactics in case i die for the autocalc but i don't know if that's a good idea

Big Gigantic Butt said:
regarding autocalc (when you die in battle and it calculates for you the losses and winner at the end)

is it affected favorably if one of your surviving companions has a high tactics skill?

makes me wonder a second question if the tactics skill and autocalc have any relationship at all

i ask because i'm thinking of having a companion max tactics in case i die for the autocalc but i don't know if that's a good idea

You could try creating a new game with cheat mode on, max out a companion to high level leadership and tactics, and see what happens that way.

Just go to the companion skills menu with cheats on, and press ctrl-L to level him up. Be careful, though, after lvl 63 the thing bugs out straight to level 2000ish, and it'll be pretty much impossible for you to pay for the companion.

Could someone please tell me how to edit troop upgrade costs? I can only find information regarding how to edit troop upkeep costs. There's a mod (The Last Days) where the troop upgrade costs come within in inch of ruining the mod. It would be a great mod otherwise. 1 mid tier troop costs about 3000 to upgrade, there's got to be some way to fix this, but ironically enough, all the info I've ever found is for changing troop *upkeep* costs, not troop *upgrade* costs.

Thank you.

In native module_scripts folder there is a section that starts with this line

# script_game_get_upgrade_cost

It seems to figure upgrade cost based on the level of the troop. The mod you're using may have changed something here.
If you have access to it try changing the numbers that appear after "reg0"...10, 20, 40, 80, 120, 160, 200 in the case of native, probably something different in your mod.
      (try_begin),
        (is_between, ":troop_level", 0, 6),
        (assign, reg0, 10),
      (else_try), 
        (is_between, ":troop_level", 6, 11),
        (assign, reg0, 20),
      (else_try), 
        (is_between, ":troop_level", 11, 16),
        (assign, reg0, 40),
      (else_try), 
        (is_between, ":troop_level", 16, 21),
        (assign, reg0, 80),
      (else_try), 
        (is_between, ":troop_level", 21, 26),
        (assign, reg0, 120),
      (else_try), 
        (is_between, ":troop_level", 26, 31),
        (assign, reg0, 160),
      (else_try), 
        (assign, reg0, 200),
      (try_end),  ),

You can do this via the .txt files as well. In scripts.txt, find the line that begins script_game_get_upgrade_cost. You'll see a ton of numbers. Find the 10/20/40 (or The Last Day's equivalents) and edit them. Obviously, back up a copy of this file before you go editing.

Caba`drin said:
You can do this via the .txt files as well. In scripts.txt

Hi guys, thanks for the help. The thing about it is though, I tried already to search for the word "upgrade" in the scripts.txt file, and the only line with the word "upgrade" is this one:

upgrade_hero_party -1

I figured that wouldn't have anything to do with the money costs to upgrade the troops, I'm not sure. It might though, since I am the "hero" and it is my "party" so... perhaps I should try making this section more like Native.................. Please note, I should have mentioned monitary costs, I don't care about the exp costs. It's just beyond annoying to have about 100 troops ready to upgrade but you can't do it because they cost about 3000 each (money AKA resource points) to do it. You pretty much can't.....

On the internet I found this:

ID_scripts.py

has the line you guys mentioned with the word "upgrade" perhaps I should edit it.... hmm... it must be in one of these folders somewhere....

Oh, i get it. I have to download python and mess with modulesys. Oh well, at least I have yet to find any other mods that require this kind of screwing around.

To use the .py files, yes you would need to edit the source code module system and compile with python after getting it all set up. However, you should be able to edit the compiled .txt files without needing to mess with the source code and .py files quoted above. I was trying to point you that direction. Once I'm at a machine with the game installed, I can reference the specific numbers you'd need to change. (There should definitely be a line in scripts.txt that begins game_get_upgrade_cost)

(Also, in the future, please utilize the "Modify" button on your posts rather than posting multiple times in a row. Thanks!)

Caba`drin said:
There should definitely be a line in scripts.txt that begins game_get_upgrade_cost

Really? Hmm... that's strange. Oh wow, yeah, I see what you mean, I do see the game_get_upgrade_cost line in the *native* scripts.txt file, but strangely it's totally absent in the TLD. LOL no wonder the authors required you to install the mod on a totally separate installation of Warband. I guess it's a lost cause, unless the TLD mod uses both the TLD mod and the Native mod simultaniously (which I doubt, since you can only select one of them when you start the game) Man this is really weird. I wonder if copying the game_get_upgrade cost "paragraph" from native scripts.txt to TLD scripts.txt would do any good? Probably just make the game unstable, I guess.

Actually it should work. Any scripts with "game" in the name are scripts that exist in the .exe file but can be made accessible via code just by pasting copies of them into the script file. This works in the .py files, and should work in the .txt files.

Do remember to backup though.

Back
Top Bottom