Official 3D art thread - Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

Looks great!

The roof does look somewhat flat though, so I'd consider adjusting the roof as described in this tutorial by gutekfiutek:
Modular_MountBladeMod_02.jpg

If you use Blender, you can just set the object to autosmooth, and add sharp (hard) edges. Then let the normal map bake from the high poly do the work in making the object look sharp. Beveling edges is great for textures and baking, but it depends on how large of an edge is on the object. If it's a building, you can get away with making small details that slightly round out corners.

Brego said:
Looks great!

The roof does look somewhat flat though, so I'd consider adjusting the roof as described in this tutorial by gutekfiutek:
Modular_MountBladeMod_02.jpg

Nice! it would make it more realistic, for a few polygons more. Thanks.

Slytacular said:
If you use Blender, you can just set the object to autosmooth, and add sharp (hard) edges. Then let the normal map bake from the high poly do the work in making the object look sharp. Beveling edges is great for textures and baking, but it depends on how large of an edge is on the object. If it's a building, you can get away with making small details that slightly round out corners.

Indeed, that's pretty useful for items. But I won't bake anything for my church, excepted a few small carvings. Actually I save performance on the textures, using only a few and making most of the details with geometry. I think it's quite suitable for buildings.

Al_Mansur, the smoothing on your building looks fines. No one will notice or care if it's slightly weird. What you should be worried about is the triangle count. It should be about a tenth of where it is if you made better use of textures.

The corbels, for example, look like they're hundreds of triangles each. If you texture the details on instead of modelling them you can get that down to about 20.

Warband can definitely handle a 100k triangle building, but if you can shave off 80-90k without really changing how it looks, that's 80-90k you can use for other things.

I know that most people won't notice or care about this bevelling issue, but I'm still very concerned by this kind of subtle details.

The corbels are indeed the less optimized parts of the church (several thousands triangles actually), along with the upper frieze. They will get textures instead of geometry. However the rest of the model isn't unreasonably detailed. The corbels-frieze textures would thus save something like 20k triangles at most.

I'm actually not making the church for Warband but for Bannerlord, which could probably handle heavier models. Also, it will feature buildings lods.
Yet I am thinking about making an alternative 'low poly' model: simplier details, hard edges instead of bevelled ones, etc. It would be perfectly adapted to Warband as well as serving as the 1st lod of my Bannerlord high poly model.

Otherwise, a screen I like:
1526952339-mb107.jpg

Al_Mansur, Excellent work!

Freelance work I did last year. Today the guys went to kickstarter! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1616790189/the-flower-of-knighthood?ref=89uus0&token=c045df6c

But. I. Need. Bannerlord!!!! :grin:

Looks good, Dan. Though as somebody who has been constantly looking over sources for the 13th century to the 15th century to make my mod, I can really nit-pick those models in terms of authenticity. Your models reflect more of the early to middle 14th century, than the 14th to early 15th century the game developers say on their Kickstarter page.

@abdulsamed:

I used to:
Cinema 4d - modeling
Zbrush - sculpt
UV Layout - UV
xNormal - baking
Substance Painter - texstures

@Slytacular:

You're right. I was trying to tell the developers about the discrepancy. They replied that they are advised by a Professor-historian from England. All on their conscience.

Looks pretty nice.

Bear in mind that you're not going to get good results in sketchfab without also using a gloss map. I know Warband doesn't use them, but for anything using PBR, they're more or less required and your specular map is wasted without it (check your model with and without specular map. There's no difference).

I really like that crossbow, though. It looks really functional.

Mandible said:
Looks pretty nice.

Bear in mind that you're not going to get good results in sketchfab without also using a gloss map. I know Warband doesn't use them, but for anything using PBR, they're more or less required and your specular map is wasted without it (check your model with and without specular map. There's no difference).

I really like that crossbow, though. It looks really functional.

Thanks for your advice, I will look into it.
As you said I will probably add some details to the crossbow and paint it through substance painter. I already have the hightpoly model ready :wink:

@Mandible One question tho, should I separate the maps so that I have a gloss map and a spec map. Bc I tried to set the spec as gloss and it does not work on sketchfab.

Separate gloss, separate specular. Gloss maps are not terribly complicated, they're just grayscale maps used to tell the rendering engine how rough a surface is.

In Warband, the gloss map is replaced by the specular coefficient value in openBRF, which applies the value to the WHOLE model, instead of specific areas. It determines how big the reflection is. Using a gloss map allows you to determine different reflection sizes for different parts of your model depending on the materials that they are made out of (metal vs wood, for example).

If you have substance painter, then you can just generate and export specular and gloss maps from there and import them into sketchfab no problem.

Mandible said:
Separate gloss, separate specular. Gloss maps are not terribly complicated, they're just grayscale maps used to tell the rendering engine how rough a surface is.

In Warband, the gloss map is replaced by the specular coefficient value in openBRF, which applies the value to the WHOLE model, instead of specific areas. It determines how big the reflection is. Using a gloss map allows you to determine different reflection sizes for different parts of your model depending on the materials that they are made out of (metal vs wood, for example).

If you have substance painter, then you can just generate and export specular and gloss maps from there and import them into sketchfab no problem.

This is what I did. I have separate maps for gloss and spec imported in sketchfab but no effect... I'll see more in depth later

Back
Top Bottom