Official 3D art thread - Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

As a "little" retexturer i generate many normal maps from diffuse map and in my opinion it doesn't look such horrible, but i understand its maybe horrible for you ! I think that you can do decent things anyway, by this "easy" way ! You can have to retry many times generate normal map until you get a decent one and make some adjustments.

Ettenrocal said:
The most in important for Warband is having a good diffuse map then you can do very easily with Gimp normal maps and specular maps.

If you're not generating the normal map from a high poly bake or a heightmap it's not gonna look that good.

The most important thing for Warband is a good normal map.
And a nice diffuse.

Finally I think I'm getting better with Zbrush:

xCfIviW.png

I'm sorry, I'm a dumb person. its been three days I start modelling  :lol:
so can we use SP or not? if yes how? tell me the workflow? please?

SacredStoneHead said:
I think all you need is a sculpting software and SP, nothing else.

- Dump Wings for good
- Download Blender
- Model and sculpt in Blender
- Export an .fbx for the highpoly and one for the lowpoly
- Import both in SP
- Bake maps
- Profit
what is profit means?

Does anyone here use Modo? Is it a waste of time when I could learn Blender or autodesk software? It has marvelous practices in terms of modelling but it is not wisely used somehow. Kinda scary when it is listed in such few job positions.

whydott said:
what is profit means?

Profit means that, by following those steps you will have a solid set of tools and get rid of that Wings garbage for good.

whydott said:

Solid advice: don't be content at being dumb, also don't beg for answers you can find for yourself; instead, come with the kind of question that come up when you're actually putting effort into something.

And yes, you can use SP to texture for Warband. While it may not export game ready maps, with a bit of tweaking you can effortlessly make it work, as you'd have to do manually from scratch in Photoshop or other image editing software anyway.

How? Get the hang of the basics and you'll know it.

JACVBHINDS // 寒心420? said:
You can get away with almost solid colour diffuses for most things in warband. Apart from some very basic ambient occlusion in small cavities, I've never bothered putting too much detail into the diffuse. The normalmap does most of the work.

This is really not good advice.

SexHaver420?? said:
JACVBHINDS // 寒心420? said:
You can get away with almost solid colour diffuses for most things in warband. Apart from some very basic ambient occlusion in small cavities, I've never bothered putting too much detail into the diffuse. The normalmap does most of the work.

This is really not good advice.

Not really since I spend half as much time doing my diffuse map as I do making high polys to bake. And it makes a difference, especially on specular maps.
Ky6mQay.jpg

Ettenrocal said:
As a "little" retexturer i generate many normal maps from diffuse map and in my opinion it doesn't look such horrible
Agreed.
GIMP is all you need to generate a decent normalmap for Warband.
Everything else is a waste of time.
Players often don't even notice crap armor, seams, messed up textures, bad specular lighting etc., and you expect them to notice tiny (if any) differences in the effects of custom vs GIMP normalmaps (or even vs no normalmap at all)?
:grin:
You might as well draw moles and wrinkles on the faces of soldiers from party icons.

SacredStoneHead said:
whydott said:
what is profit means?

Profit means that, by following those steps you will have a solid set of tools and get rid of that Wings garbage for good.

whydott said:

Solid advice: don't be content at being dumb, also don't beg for answers you can find for yourself; instead, come with the kind of question that come up when you're actually putting effort into something.

And yes, you can use SP to texture for Warband. While it may not export game ready maps, with a bit of tweaking you can effortlessly make it work, as you'd have to do manually from scratch in Photoshop or other image editing software anyway.

How? Get the hang of the basics and you'll know it.

I just realized you are the one who wrote it  :lol:
what can I say? I really mean it about I just starting modelling a few days. I hardly understand what people said here :grin:
I already create two low poly helmets (and now moving to body armor) but only stop there because don't know about texturing in SP, thats why I ask here.
Untitled_zpsn7kl9q97.jpg

SacredStoneHead said:
I think I mistaken about something.. it's not texture, it's diffuse?
the thing you make from scratch is the diffuse (by tweaking texture), am I right? so SP can't export diffuse?

Gothic Knight said:
If you plan on making anything in Warband. You need to learn how to texture, wings3d/Blender and possibly SP. I mean you can bake normal maps with it.
thanks for answer :smile: I think it's the same as above, "You need to learn how to texture (making diffuse)"?

thanks for answer :smile: I think it's the same as above, "You need to learn how to texture (making diffuse)"?
I would say yes. Learning how to shade, use gimp/photoshop and generally getting a style when making diffuse(color map) is a good idea. Learn to bake high poly details into low poly details and/or using height maps to map these normal maps helps as well. Mainly I use SP to generate baked normal maps and other maps for Warband textures, then I use them to help make the diffuse. In stuff like Unity or Unreal Engine you can use SP to set up your textures as well as generate maps.

I think you missed the part where he says that what Jabocc said is not good advice.
I was responding to Jabocc.

whydott said:
I think I mistaken about something.. it's not texture, it's diffuse?
the thing you make from scratch is the diffuse (by tweaking texture), am I right? so SP can't export diffuse?

Gothic Knight said:
If you plan on making anything in Warband. You need to learn how to texture, wings3d/Blender and possibly SP. I mean you can bake normal maps with it.

Most of those questions could be answered by

SacredStoneHead said:
Get the hang of the basics and you'll know it.

But I'll throw you a bone. "Texture" can be any of the images that provide information to your model. "Maps" are commonly used to refer to auxiliary textures that provide values for shader calculations, such as the normalmap, the roughness map, etc. Diffuse is the common term to refer to the texture that provide the colors.

Modern applications in general use a PBR setup, and Substance Painter export maps to different PBR workflows. For example, PBR metalness workflow uses a diffuse, a roughness, a metalness and a normalmap textures to calculate the final result. You can export different combinations of maps if you customize the export settings.

The thing is, with a PBR setup, the diffuse map provides mainly only the colors. As Warband lacks a lot of rendering goodies modern engines have and only has a specular values map and normalmaps to work with, you have to add more information to the diffuse texture to fake in the surface info.

So yeah, if you use Substance Painter to texture a properly baked (this is important) model for Warband you'll be cutting a lot of corners, as Substance generates automatically a lot of maps and exports them unified (no need to back and forth generating specular and normalmaps by hand). So if you know what you're doing, you can easily combine maps and tweak them manually to suit Warband's texture setup.

With that said, go study. Asking around questions like that shows you have no clue what you're doing and also didn't bothered to look into any of the very basic stuff you can find by doing quick searches.

Good luck, and git gud.

I make some edited armor (making it from scratch still really hard for me, armor has different level)

uyhgbyguh_zpsv4j5shsk.jpg

I have problem with weight-ing. I already give some fix, so in the brf file only cheer and  two-handed animation got glitched. then I try it in the game, it have more glitch. maybe you can give me some advice? is this inevitable?

mb10_zpsuwva3wsa.jpg

mb11_zpscskzpyoq.jpg

mb12_zpssenlzajz.jpg

There are insane twists in the shoulder area. Worst place to add decorative elements. When I am in the masochist mood to do so, and can make it looks OK for 80% of the animations, I am happy.
I think upper arms would need two axis bones to make your concept working without glitches. In your place, I would try to cut the drapes half, one part for to the chest, one for the arm.

Hey guys! I just re organized my artstation profile and I need you to help me to gain some visibility on it. It would mean a lot if you guys can share and at least leave a tiny like!  :shifty: :party:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BNk64

Beside that, here is a new lightning render of my last scene : laketown city

stephane-charre-p9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom